Nova Launcher Widget Help

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
What version, and did you purchase the Prime version? I have Prime and my Nova version is 1.3.3.

I believe I read somewhere that the basic version had an issue with this and you should use the Widget screen in the Apps section where you scroll to the Widget list.

kgjeter

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I had the basic version since I was just trying it out and I've decided to keep it so I just upgraded to Prime. I'm still having the same problem though when I either go through the menu to Nova settings, select Widget and then there are all of my logos for the apps I have but no description. I also went through the app drawer and it's the same thing. I've also restarted Nova Launcher but still no luck with the descriptions showing up.

Anything else you can suggest? I have the most recent version: 1.3.3

Thanks so much!

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
A reboot would be a good idea to try also. I saw that issue a long time ago, but not now. Try the reboot, then tell me if you still see it... I'll look around in my settings, but I don't remember do anything special to get mine to work.

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
If you long press on the widget icon a description will briefly appear as long as you hold onto the icon. This is a common complaint w Nova Launcher, even the pro version. I don't know what the fix is, but I've learned to live with it.

kgjeter

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much for your replies. I did a reboot a few hours ago and there's no change. If you've seen this before, then I'll just have to live with it. I did notice that I can long press it as you said and then description shows up.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fixed at some point.

Thanks again!

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
This is an issue caused by ICS. Gingerbread had the widget description in black lettering, when running a launcher, ICS has the widget description in white lettering against a white background. Apex launcher has since fixed this in their launcher (black background, white text).

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
This is an issue caused by ICS. Gingerbread had the widget description in black lettering, when running a launcher, ICS has the widget description in white lettering against a white background. Apex launcher has since fixed this in their launcher (black background, white text).

If that was the case with ICS then everybody would see the same problem... but we don't... here is mine:
Screenshot_2012-11-25-09-53-37.png

I really don't think that is the case. I'd recommend you go to Play store, find Nova, there are two links... one to Nova Launcher website, and the other is to email the developer. I'd check their site for a fix or what to do, and if you don't find something then email the developer.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Another thing you might want to try is go into the main Settings > Apps > select Nova Launcher > Clear data, and Clear cache.

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
fatboy97 - are you running Nova Launcher? When I am running Nova Launcher and get to the "Choose Widget" view it looks lie this: (see attachment)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-25-11-05-13.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-25-11-05-13.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 34

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
fatboy97 - are you running Nova Launcher? When I am running Nova Launcher and get to the "Choose Widget" view it looks lie this: (see attachment)

I believe I was pretty clear in saying I'm using Nova Launcher, actually I purchased the Prime version... and I just showed my screen shot on choosing widgets on Post #8.

kgjeter

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. I tried clearing the cache and nothing has changed. I emailed the developer so when he or she gets back to me, I'll let you know.

Thanks for trying to help!

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe I was pretty clear in saying I'm using Nova Launcher, actually I purchased the Prime version... and I just showed my screen shot on choosing widgets on Post #8.

I am also using Nova Launcher Prime v1.1, on a Droid RAZR MAXX with ICS v4.0.4 and I get the screen shot I posted above. I wonder what is different between our phones?

kgjeter

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am also using Nova Launcher Prime v1.1, on a Droid RAZR MAXX with ICS v4.0.4 and I get the screen shot I posted above. I wonder what is different between our phones?

I have no idea. Hopefully I'll hear something back from the developer and I'll post the comments.

Happy cyber Monday!

kgjeter

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for the info. I'm not rooted and I'm not comfortable with rooting my phone since I have no idea how to do it. The developer did get back to me and said there's nothing he can do at the moment so I'll have to deal with it unfortunately. If anyone else has any ideas besides rooting my Maxx, let me know.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Kevin, the developer, gave me some detail on the issue:

Kevin @ TeslaCoil said:
Due to technical limitations, third party apps in Android 4.0 have to use the system provided widget picker. Unfortunately Motorola has designed their's this way. With Android 4.1, or root on Android 4.0, Nova can display it's own widget picker that is properly themed.

While my ICS 4.0.4 MAXX is rooted, it still wasn't working, and when I told him that he responded:

Kevin @ TeslaCoil said:
Nova might not realize you are rooted. Try enabling Nova Settings > Drawer > Widgets in drawer which should prompt for root. If it doesn't check your Superuser app to make sure Nova is not being denied root access.

When I enabled Widgets in Drawer, I got the "Superuser access granted" notification, and the picker started working properly after that.

Sorry, looks like you won't have much luck unless you root.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
kgjeter , rooting couldn't be simpler with the tools we have thanks to some great developers. if you'd like i can help you through it with very little ease. check out the sticky at the top of this forum, or my signature for a link with directions, pictures, and links to everything you need. feel free to send me a PM and ill help with whatever i can.

kgjeter

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Dodge. I don't think I'm going to root my phone though. I actually just picked up a Galaxy 3S and it was super cheap so I'm going to use this from now on. I may try and root my Maxx now since I have a new phone just to check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenw0419