Battery Stats after JB upgrade

flyboy28802

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I would like to gather some information on battery stats for those that have updated to Jellybean.

The main issues I was having with ICS is a slow discharge of the battery (about 3% per hour) when the phone is in Airplane mode or Sleep Mode. (radios shut down). I see this as a "NOT" normal action, as my EVO would last days in Airplane Mode under the same conditions. I determined the drain by doing a clearing of the cache, and then a FDR and then a clearing of the cache. The only apps that were loaded were that of the FDR. (I did not load any apps). I would place the phone in Airplane mode and set it aside on my desk and checked the consumption rate at the same time per hour; no other use was incurred.

After searching the forums, I found others were having the same or similar issue and the most likely cause was the ICS update. Now that the JB update has been circulated around I wanted to get some battery stats to see if others had improvement or reduction of battery life, and under what circumstances.

My phone is less than a year old and while the battery life on my Maxx is vastly superior to my EVO, I do find the 3% consumption rate per hour rather annoying, and if the JB update doesn't minimize that I may send it in for repair. However I wanted to obtain as much data as possible first.

Thanks for any assistance.
FB

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
3% per hour is annoying? That's 33 hours of battery if you break it down! How does an Android phone that gets over 24 hours on battery need repair?

lacubsfan

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
33 hours of battery life in airplane mode is pathetic!
Check out the battery stats from Motorola
Standby: 380 hours max. (15.8 days)

Getting 91.3% LESS battery time seems like a problem to me.

flyboy28802

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. If I was getting 33 hours with normal use I would be a lot happier, but 33 hours with NO user actions and all the radios turned off is unacceptable. It makes Smart Actions and Juice Defender worthless.

Anyways after 4 hours of sitting in airplane mode with JB I saw the same consumption rate as I did with ICS, so most likely a hardware problem. I have called Verizon and they are shipping me out a new phone. I will put that under the same test straight out of the box before I send mine back to make sure my issue is resolved.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't looked at Juice Defender, but I'm curious to know what it can do above smart actions. I'm just using SAs, and I'm quite happy with that. Once my phone screen is off, everything turns off with the exception of voice and text.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
What is the point if having a phone if you keep it in airplane mode for the majority of the day?

And seriously. This phone has the best battery life of anything out there and you're still complaining. How hard is it to charge at night?

Tell me another phone that can have 5 hours of screen time with auto brightness and 4g on and still last for 20 hours of heavy use.... My other phone would have been dead hours ago. I think you guys are just spoiled thinking you need a million hours of battery life

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

flyboy28802

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I want the battery life I paid for... I work in a building that gets no reception and I keep the phone in airplane mode so cell service will not drain the battery looking for a tower/service. I might use wifi on breaks to check email and what not so I would rather not have to power down. When I am at home in decent cell coverage area, I get about the same battery life as if I sat in airplane mode trying to conserve battery and that is not right. Some of us don't wear mobile power stations to keep our phones on charge.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
If the phone lasts until after you go to bed, that's great for an Android phone. Just put it on a charger nightly. Solved. You have no problems.

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I have never gotten more then 20 hours off a full charge with my maxxx. At first I was annoyed because people were talking about 42 hours with moderate use and such. I was going to send it back but couldn't really justify it as 20 hours was still more then I needed. If you are up using your phone for 20 or more hours without a charger then call the labor department on your boss, otherwise I think you should get over it and just charge your phone at night and laugh at the people still charging 2 times or caring a spare battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

scotts9219

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I believe that the numbers Motorola and Verizon advertise are assuming an absolutely stock phone in perfect conditions. Your experience WILL vary. In your case I would check to see if you have an app running in the background (CPU time will affect battery life). Even with the radios off I believe there are still "heartbeat" processes running that will also affect battery life. Worse case, return the phone to factory settings and run your tests. Even a phone in the "off" condition will use a tiny amount of power. How else does it know the power button has been pushed?

Just my $.02

flyboy28802

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
In an answer to my first question, I did not notice any increase or decrease in battery life switching to JB. However, as others have stated it did seem smoother moving between screens and a little snappier. Start-up time from a cold start is faster than ICS and overall a good worthwhile upgrade. Can you wait until the official release, sure I would be willing to bet the official release comes out some time this month.

Now, for those that thought I was whining about battery life in my previous post, I received my replacement Maxx yesterday. I popped in my SIM & SD card ran through the setup and only downloaded Power Toggles to monitor my battery drain. After 5 hours I was still on 100% battery in Airplane Mode, after 12 hours and only using the Play Music to listen to my MP3 for about an hour, I still had 90% battery remaining. I never saw this even from day one with my old Maxx, so this definitely points to a bad phone. At the end of the day I am a happy camper with my new Maxx with the battery life I paid for. Now hopefully the official release of JB will be out and life will be good until the next phone catches my eye.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My battery life isn't as good with JB, but I think it has to do with the weak Wifi signal. With ICS, I could get through 2 days easy (mainly on Wifi) and even hit 3 days a few times if I didn't play on the phone much. I have yet to get over 38 hours with JB under the same conditions. I just hope the real release corrects the issue with Wifi some of us are having.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If the phone lasts until after you go to bed, that's great for an Android phone. Just put it on a charger nightly. Solved. You have no problems.

This! There is no problem

"i want the battery life i paid for" lol..Perhaps i should take my Mercury SUV back as 4 years ago they said i'd get 23mpg and i only get 19. Your getting the best battery life of any phone out there. Mine gets me through the day on one charge and i plug it up at night. You have no issue.. but do carry on.. you made me LOL quite loud

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Post your screen shot from the Battery app so we can see what is taking up your juice.

The manf. stand by time is under totally ideal conditions with no radio, no apps, no screen, nothing. Silly, yes, but you can't really cpr. a phone in the wild with the lab tests done to get these inflated numbers.