Reset with inoperable power button , possible?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a razor Maxx that I've delegated to be my hiking GPS and maps device. Haven't used it as a phone in over a year. While hiking today it fell into a creek and was submerged about 5 sec. Couldn't put it in rice till I got home about 5 hours later. I'm thinking it was a bit to late for the rice trick. In any case so far the only issue seems to be the power button not working. Can't be put in sleep mode or turned off. I'd do a hard reset to see if that would help if I could. I also use it to USB Netflix to my TV. So basically it does two functions for me these days but does, or rather did them well. I may still be able to use it for Netflix, haven't tried yet but it wont shut off so not sure it can hold up being charged constantly then running down to zero time after time, not long I'm thinking. Any advice?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: reset with inoperable power button , possible?

So the screen never times out?

In any case, you can reboot it by turning on USB debugging and hooking up to a computer via USB and using ADB commands through the computer's terminal. ADB commands can include rebooting into recovery, clearing the cache and formatting the device (factory reset) - and while that may not hurt to try, it might not help. When it does turn off - from battery exhaustion for example - does the power button turn it back on?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: reset with inoperable power button , possible?

Hadn't thought of that, thanks for the suggestion. I thought the screen didn't time out but it was on the hiking maps app which keeps it on. Ive changed the time out setting to 15 sec and it IS timing out now and going to sleep. This is good because it wont run it down to zero every time. It takes the charger being plugged in to wake it back up. The power button is totally useless either way. Must have gotten wet.
Tested Netflix out to TV and it works so far. I'm wondering if a hard reset will fix the power button issue. I may live with it or get some time and try your suggestion. Thanks.