Will the RAZR's sealed battery stop you from buying?

Has the sealed battery stopped you from getting the RAZR

• Total voters

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have had 4 Moto Droids on my family plan. The batteries wear down in about a year to the point that they need replacement (only last a few hours). Unless the phone can be opened up to replace the battery, or they offer a 1 year contract, this is a deal-breaker. The phone will literally be a brick in a year. Even the iPhone 4 has a battery that is easy to replace (after taking out 4 screws). WTF Moto?!

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have had 4 Moto Droids on my family plan. The batteries wear down in about a year to the point that they need replacement (only last a few hours). Unless the phone can be opened up to replace the battery, or they offer a 1 year contract, this is a deal-breaker. The phone will literally be a brick in a year. Even the iPhone 4 has a battery that is easy to replace (after taking out 4 screws). WTF Moto?!

I think the battery technology on the Droid RAZR might be slightly more advanced than the original RAZR's. No? I'm still not worried about it being sealed.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at this as a backup in case the Galaxy Nexus end up having battery issues.
With a sealed battery, I may pass and look at another device.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a Droid X that freezes and requires a battery pull at least once a week (sometimes more). So, what happens if the Razr requires a battery pull? I might as well have a brick in my hands.

I live 115 miles from the nearest Verizon owned store; with Best Buy another two or three miles before. That's door-to-door. What happens if it bricks in many of the areas I drive and it could be a four hour drive? The tech guy at the local independent Verizon store where I live has problems installing a case (per a friend of mine) on a Dinc; and would probably not be able to change D size batteries in a flashlight. So, getting him to change a battery in a Razr would be comical.

A reset button? I have a Toshiba laptop (only used now as a GPS computer in the vehicle) that has on occasion locked up to the point I had to pull the battery out of the bottom. The push for eight seconds did not work. Have a work Dell laptop that has done it once. (So far, my personal HP has not, but who knows.) So that hold for eight seconds does not always work, it is still software controlled; it does not mechanically break a battery circuit.

Now, if they have a small button you can push in with a paper clip (or toothpick) that actual 'mechanically' breaks the battery circuit to the circuit board, would be nice.

Other problem I have is the future upgrade to ICS. Most of my problems on my Droid Xs started with the GB upgrade. It was a total disaster and moto still has not stepped up and fixed the problems. So, why should I trust moto to be able to supply an upgrade file to ICS that will not have the number of problems I had with Froyo to GB? And will they support it after the initial upgrade to ICS, or will they do like they have for the X users and just ignore the problems after a simple upgrade to GB that did NOTHING!

If moto had stepped up and fixed all the GB problems, and there was an actual mechanical reset button, I would consider this phone. Moto does have some of the best built phones, and strong radios. However, their track record and the fact they probably don't have a mechanical reset button leaves me no alternative but to look at the Rezound (or Vigor) and the Nexus before even considering another Moto product and especially a Moto product with a non-replaceable battery.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, a sealed battery will stop me from buying this phone.. for a couple reasons.

1. (Personal) I hate how thin/light phones are getting today. I don't want $700 piece of technology to feel like it might shatter if I sneeze on it

Gorilla glass, steel frame, kevlar, water coating,,, sneeze all you want. That thing is gonna break Mr wolf.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This device is the first to really get my attention in a while.
There will be a way to reboot it of course. Probably even a way to hard reset it if a reboot fails.
I see some pluses and some negatives regarding an untouchable battery.
Biggest plus I would think is the whole package is more tightly wrapped/sealed. With the gorilla glass, kevlar back and no battery door this could make for a nice tight little package. Also , not having had one in hand we don't know if there is a method for battery removal , maybe just more involved. I mean there has to be a way to open it and do it. The techs we would have to send it to , to swap out with a new battery will have a method. i can see someone else figuring that out pretty quick.
Biggest downside is the life of a charge itself. Will it be enough? How big is that batt btw? I think a wise idea would be to hold back and wait for the reviews of actuall verizon users come in before taking the plunge.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This device is the first to really get my attention in a while.
There will be a way to reboot it of course. Probably even a way to hard reset it if a reboot fails.
I see some pluses and some negatives regarding an untouchable battery.
Biggest plus I would think is the whole package is more tightly wrapped/sealed. With the gorilla glass, kevlar back and no battery door this could make for a nice tight little package. Also , not having had one in hand we don't know if there is a method for battery removal , maybe just more involved. I mean there has to be a way to open it and do it. The techs we would have to send it to , to swap out with a new battery will have a method. i can see someone else figuring that out pretty quick.
Biggest downside is the life of a charge itself. Will it be enough? How big is that batt btw? I think a wise idea would be to hold back and wait for the reviews of actuall verizon users come in before taking the plunge.

The battery is 1780 MaH as far as I know. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The battery is 1780 MaH as far as I know. :)

Thats a decent size considering it's such a thin device. I think the screen style/type utilizes the power better as well. I guess time will tell. Wasn't everyone complaining about the iphone's lack of battery access back when it first came out? Didn't hurt their sales any;)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Since the battery has been reported to be 1780mAh, I think this is way too small for a sealed battery. Count me out. 2700mAh+ and I might start thinking about it. This phone is gonna be hungry.

-Frank

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom has a sealed battery. Power + volume up simulates a battery pull. And trust me it works perfectly, I've rooted and bricked and done all sort of stupid crap and never even had to consider waiting for the battery to die.

Unfortunately, because I'm really liking the Razr, I won't be getting it due to the sealed battery. The bionic supposedly is terrible with its battery and the Razr only has a SLIGHTLY larger battery (45 mah, aka near identical) . If battery life is bad, OK that sucks but I'll need to be able to drop in a spare or get an extended at the very least.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
phones that require replacement batteries.. are terrible phones.

I'm fortunate that I do most of my work right now in an office.. Charger at work and Charger at home (fascinate provides good battery life regardless).

In feb I leave this office job to begin work as a submarine mechanic.. Cell phones are not allowed on the yard so mine will be off and in my car until after work.. so I still dont see me needing battery for a long time.

I just make sure to have it nice and charged before a night out..

the downfall of not being able to remove the battery is incase the phone locks up to the point thats the only way to get it to shutdown and reboot.

it does come with a 1780mah battery.. thats pretty beefy

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
phones that require replacement batteries.. are terrible phones.

I'm fortunate that I do most of my work right now in an office.. Charger at work and Charger at home (fascinate provides good battery life regardless).

In feb I leave this office job to begin work as a submarine mechanic.. Cell phones are not allowed on the yard so mine will be off and in my car until after work.. so I still dont see me needing battery for a long time.

I just make sure to have it nice and charged before a night out..

the downfall of not being able to remove the battery is incase the phone locks up to the point thats the only way to get it to shutdown and reboot.

it does come with a 1780mah battery.. thats pretty beefy

I'd hardly consider 1780 beefy esp. if its not removable. Like I mentioned that only the slightest bit bigger then the Bionic's that everyone complains is so terrible.

Apple can pull it off with ios that does a fantastic job utilizing the battery properly. But IMO that's pretty bad as well...I'm really hoping ICS does a better job then gingerbread...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Since the battery has been reported to be 1780mAh, I think this is way too small for a sealed battery. Count me out. 2700mAh+ and I might start thinking about it. This phone is gonna be hungry.

-Frank

Stop your complaining... Oh you're Frank! Nevermind, I just hope the RAZR has better hotspot than the Bolt I'm using. Haha!

I was jk btw Frank. :)

LearOne

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The Razr spec has the battery life at 20% better than the Bionic. It's also possible that there will be some 3rd part battery cases.

After using the Bionic some, I would not be too worried about the battery life on the Razr. And, with Smart Actions, you can save up to another 30% of battery life. Probably only in extreme use cases though.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I would think if someone got really tricky with smart actions, real world savings will only be about 10 to 15%. I'm sure a thread will start with people explaining how theirs is set up and what affect it actually has...

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It amazes me that some people are never happy. There have been thousands of devices with non-removable batteries (All of the original Palm OS devices, all the Apple portable devices (iPod, iPhone, MacBooks, etc) and for the most part these devices haven't had a problem (I have an iPod Video (30 GB, first to support video - 4 years old still in working order). Personally, I think it's great that with a non-removable battery it is thinner with more capacity than a removable one. Also, this device is built like a tank - metal frame, Gorilla Glass, completely sealed except for SD card slot, LTE SIM slot, HDMI out, USB port. If you don't like it get something eles. Also, great design (I think it's love it or hate it - no middle ground) and a great name. Most people barely know the name of their phone - eg. Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch. When I get this and someone asks I can say it's a Droid RAZR - Awesome.

Reactions: jroc

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It didnt stop me from buying....but I didnt vote cuz I dont think Sealed is FTW!! lol. There are definite cons to having a non removable battery. Its something me n pro iPhone folks used to debate over in iPhone vs. Android debates.

I will have to see if it becomes a deal breaker for me.

-Frank

Did you see the size of the battery? Its almost the size of the phone. I got a feeling Moto is doing, using something different vs. a regular sized 1700-1800 mAh battery. That claim of 12.5 hours of talk time Jha made needs to be backed up tremendously. I think it also has something to do with that massive battery. Massive as in length, width.

Last edited:

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
One pet peeve of mine is build quality. I hate phones that creak and squeak when you handle them. My Incredible 2 right now does that on the top left of the phone. Luckily I don't handle that part of the phone often, but that's always the weak point in phones. The battery cover. By sealing the entire thing, we should have a REALLY nicely built device that is solid as a rock. I can't wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non