Anyone got the OTA Update?

brackett5

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I just got the pop up saying I had a system update and about 30 min later nothing is happening. I manually went to search for updates and it says an update is already installing. Do.they usually take this long for this device?

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
my OTA is trying, though the service is so spotty it just doesn't have a chance in hell of downloading.. 1%.. we'll see what happens..

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got the pop up saying I had a system update and about 30 min later nothing is happening. I manually went to search for updates and it says an update is already installing. Do.they usually take this long for this device?

No it doesn't usually take that long, my guess is that you are in a poor coverage area or at least a poor data coverage area.

m3incorp

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine updated at 1AM Mountain time today. It did take about 45 minutes for the download over wifi.....note I have a very fast wifi connection. Ran speed test immediately after update connecting to server in Denver, CO. Download of 15607kbps and upload of 6996kbps, so don't know why the update download took so long.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Just updated this morning, I didnt have problems until a few days ago: unresponsive screen, sim auth error. Data issues....although Verizon has been having LTE issues lately.

Other than those 3 things I wasnt having any other issues. So I hope n pray this doesnt introduce me to issues I didnt have before.

slbe1892

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine. My only issue was data not reconnecting after smart actions disabled it. Hopefully that's fixed now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got the update here, rebooting, wish I'd had the foresight to put all the stuff to root my phone on my netbook (which I always have with me) will have to wait until tonight when I get home to re-root. I had a problem where the phone was telling me that I had no SIM card for a while, but reboot would fix it for a little while at least... then the problem was gone. When I mentioned it at a local Verizon store, they claimed to have never heard of it. Oh well. Will report later if there's anything noticeable I find!

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine got pushed this morning.

Camera seems faster.

Unfortunately I now notice a lag when I hit the power button and when the screen turns on.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine started to update this morning, rebooted about halfway thru and said "Update Failed".

I am rooted, but it seems others who are rooted have successfully gotten this update, so I don't know. It doesn't sound like it solved too much, so it might not be worth it for me to un-root, try again, and re-root (though I don't know how to request them re-push the update to me once it fails anyway).

The one thing I hate, is that it appears to have "partially installed", because some of the pop-up messages have a new font/background. This pisses me off, because any install of this magnitude should have a full commit or rollback embedded in the installation package. Having "half an update" can be a lot worse than not getting any update at all.

Anyone else successfully get this that's rooted? Anyone think this has solved anything at all anyway?

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I installed the update last night (Chicago, IL). I will honestly say I don't notice any differences besides the fact that when I slide the home screens and sometimes even access certain apps, upon initially selecting them the screen gets bright then normal again. Its like it shines or something then its back to normal.

I would like to know about the group messaging difference. I haven't noticed a difference. Anything someone can specifically point out about any changes would be awesome. Also, as far as the SIM error, I only experienced it about two or three weeks ago. It happened for about a day then never happened again. I haven't had any other data issues. 90% of the time I am on 3G bc 4G seems to be what kills my battery. I saw issues reported with music apps after the update in another thread, none of that here. The first week I got the phone I had an issue with power cycling (which is why I gave up the X2). I was listening to a CD on the native music app and the 4G was on, the phone got hot, the battery got low and it kept power cycling (about 8 times). I did a soft reset and haven't had the issue since.

To think, I was going to trade this for the new Nexus smh :)

Last edited:

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried un-rooting and re-installing all the apps I had removed (any that I could anyway), and I still fail on the update about 1/3 the way through it. I'm entirely fed-up with this now, because there's no information about WHY the update failed or I'd gladly attempt to fix it.

Anyone know if the update writes to a log that can be reviewed or anything like that?

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
i was rooted, and had used Titanium to freeze apps i didnt want. Prior to the update, all i did was to unfreeze all apps. Let the update happen, no issues.

Lost root post update, but was able to re-root just fine.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but I actually UNINSTALLED "Social Location", because it was running all the time and using battery, and freezing it didn't do anything to slow it down (and I don't need or want it). But Ti Backup won't restore it for some reason.

I also uninstalled QuickOffice, because I bought QuickOffice Pro, and figured I didn't want both on the phone.

Other than that, I tried unfreezing everything else, and unrooting and it still failed. :(

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
This is why I tell my client to never ever delete bloatware ... OTA updates will always fail afterwards

But woke up this morning. Got the update 6.11.748.xt912.verizon.

Boot animation changed. Now has the "Droid" sound as the word Droid flashes in red before the blades pop up. Keyboard seems faster. Still 2.3.5. Going to test more

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I assumed that Titanium Backup (Pro) would be able to restore anything I had made a backup of before deleting, as that would seem to be its purpose in life (with a few "extras" thrown in), but it's having serious trouble restoring QuickOffice right now and I'm unhappy about that in addition to the failed update!

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I assumed that Titanium Backup (Pro) would be able to restore anything I had made a backup of before deleting, as that would seem to be its purpose in life (with a few "extras" thrown in), but it's having serious trouble restoring QuickOffice right now and I'm unhappy about that in addition to the failed update!

Tried a factory reset yet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87