Locked S24 Series vs Unlocked S24 Series OTA Update Comparison.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
No you're not the only one. I guess the display issue was important enough for Samsung to push an update this quickly. Samsung and the carriers have just proven that pushing updates quickly can be done.

To be honest, Korea got it almost a week before the rest of us.

It sounds like there were 77 potential security issues in Samsung's software which sounds like a lot, but I have no previous reports with other devices for reference. This article goes into quite a few specific details about the camera tweaks that I hadn't read yet.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site

It sounds like there were 77 potential security issues in Samsung's software which sounds like a lot, but I have no previous reports with other devices for reference. This article goes into quite a few specific details about the camera tweaks that I hadn't read yet.
That is 77 KNOWN security issues. There may be more. That is why we get monthly security updates. To be honest, 77 security issues is not that many when you look at how many million lines of code are in the OS alone.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
This surprised me. When I started this thread, I was expecting the normal pattern (or what is perceived as normal). Carrier branded (locked) phones getting updates sooner than unlocked phones and certain regions/countries getting them first (other than Korea). I wasn't expecting both locked and unlocked and across (what seems) all regions/countries receiving the update simultaneously.

Granted this was for one model series, but that is still millions of devices that are spread across several countries/regions, carriers, and model variances.

To be fair, this isn't scientific, and it does seem to be North American/US specific so far. I haven't heard much from our brothers and sisters from other countries/regions.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This was unexpected that both carrier and unlock version in the US got the update rolling same time probably because the concerns but going forward Samsung will not be consistent on this it will be most likely carrier version getting it first than unlock is the pattern I've seen over the years , sometimes unlock first on rare occasions but international will get it most of the time before US and yes we will be shocked US gets them once in awhile first.
Korean market which is Home for Samsung usually before anyone else.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
There is a new update with March 1 2024 security update rolling out.

So far, it seems only the carrier locked models are getting it. Let's see how long it takes for the unlocked models to get it.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Update: I am now downloading it the March 1 2024 security update.

S928U1
Verizon
Sandwich Islands, USA

That was quick. Could it be that Samsung has gotten its act more together? That is two updates in a row where the unlocked and locked models got it simultaneously or almost simultaneously.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just installed March unlock T-Mobile
b032a7107bbff39bdbef14cce4e46715.jpg

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Posted in another thread, but I got it on my locked AT&T S24+. As I mentioned there, it's the first time I've ever gotten an update on the day of the update. AT&T tends to hold them until the second half of the month... if they even release it and not wait until the next month, or the next - which has occasionally happened.

I wonder if AT&T has changed the update servers for these phones. I received the same kind of update notice that everyone else gets and always got, which is not how AT&T's updates usually announce themselves. Are they now coming directly from Samsung instead of feeding through AT&T?

What I don't know is if this is new with the S24 series, or was AT&T doing this with one of the previous series. My last phone was the S20 FE.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Kind of funny that everyone is all impressed about this second release when infact it is just them getting back on track because the last one was later than it would have been.
Well, Samsung had to include a bunch of fixes for user complaints in the Feb update. All within a month of initial release and the barrage of "vivid doesn't work... waahhh!", "pictures are blurry when my dog moves...waahhh!"

I give them some slack for that.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, Samsung had to include a bunch of fixes for user complaints in the Feb update. All within a month of initial release and the barrage of "vivid doesn't work... whaahhh!", " pictures are blurry when my dog moves...whaahhh!"

I give them some slack for that.
Not saying they didn't. Was just making a statement that this was a normal update cycle where the other one was delayed. Wasn't bashing how they rolled out each.