does unlocked droid razr require 4g plan

liunit92

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about buying an unlocked Droid Razr Maxx. Right now I am still using Verizon Wireless with a 150 mb data plan on my LG EnV touch. When I got that plan, it said it would work for feature and smartphones. I called a Verizon Wireless representative and asked what I would have to do to switch services and she said that I would have to upgrade to a $30/month data plan to be able to use the plan because the phone requires a micro sim card to be activated. The micro sim card gives access to the 4G. Is she lying or is this true? I really don't want to pay $30/month. I'd be really happy having that phone on my 150 mb data plan because I would never go over. I'd probably be using wi-fi all day as my college has routers everywhere.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes all smart phones require data plan of 30$. And really you would chew through that 150in five mins. I believe also vzw is running data promo so get 4gb for 2gb price. No way around it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Get it for the first month and then call them to negate ur internet plan. That way ur fone doesn't use the cell towers to use the internet. Deactivate data. And use wifi only. Maybe this can work?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
No you cant deactivate the data vzw mandates it
Get it for the first month and then call them to negate ur internet plan. That way ur fone doesn't use the cell towers to use the internet. Deactivate data. And use wifi only. Maybe this can work?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You can't deactivate a sim. Its needed for 3g and 4g. Theres no way around it you have to have data
But if they would ever have to replace the sim it would need activated again right?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Where are you getting a unlocked maxx. Vzw has no unlocked razr or maxxs.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
would they allow me to deactivate my internet plan?

No!

Smartphone = data plan ...

No data plan = no smartphone activation.

No ifs ands or buts....

This goes for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Al tell, etc etc etc....

But you can get rid of your data plan only only only only if you downgrade to a simple flip/bar phone... ;-)