Removing T Mobile from unlocked S9

MotorMike2020

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
I recently purchased a new Galaxy S9, model SM-G960U to be used as a secondary phone . I installed my SIM card for the first time from my S10 and as soon as it got a signal, T Mobile went ahead and installed its own software on the phone, and now it seems like its locked to T Mobile. When I try to run the installed Device Unlock app, it returns "server unavailable, try again later"... And I cannot uninstall any of the new apps they installed.
Is there any way of removing these T Mobile apps other than a complete device reset? Even if I was to do that, they would most likely install everything all over again next time the SIM was installed. I thought unlocked meant unlocked !!

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
My S9+ has tmobile software on it, with no option to uninstall either, and I'm not on tmobile.
I'll follow this to see if anyone has a way.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a new Galaxy S9, model SM-G960U to be used as a secondary phone . I installed my SIM card for the first time from my S10 and as soon as it got a signal, T Mobile went ahead and installed its own software on the phone, and now it seems like its locked to T Mobile. When I try to run the installed Device Unlock app, it returns "server unavailable, try again later"... And I cannot uninstall any of the new apps they installed.
Is there any way of removing these T Mobile apps other than a complete device reset? Even if I was to do that, they would most likely install everything all over again next time the SIM was installed. I thought unlocked meant unlocked !!
Because you put a T-Mobile SIM in the phone is why all that got loaded on. It's what they do. Probably installed as system software which may be why it can't be un-installed.

But it's definitely not locked.

You could still take that SIM out and use, say, an AT&T SIM and it'll work too. However, AT&T would then load up all its stuff.

There is that Samsung de-bloat app in the Play Store. I think that might work. Someone else would have to chime in about that. @mustang7757 might know more.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Because you put a T-Mobile SIM in the phone is why all that got loaded on. It's what they do. Probably installed as system software which may be why it can't be un-installed.

But it's definitely not locked.

You could still take that SIM out and use, say, an AT&T SIM and it'll work too. However, AT&T would then load up all its stuff.

There is that Samsung de-bloat app in the Play Store. I think that might work. Someone else would have to chime in about that. @mustang7757 might know more.

Best money spent on removing bloat

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What I don't understand is how some phones seem to get T-Mobile bloat installed automatically when the SIM is inserted, but others don't -- I've never seen it happen on any of my Pixel phones.

Reactions: MotorMike2020

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What I don't understand is how some phones seem to get T-Mobile bloat installed automatically when the SIM is inserted, but others don't -- I've never seen it happen on any of my Pixel phones.
Usually on Samsung carrier version like OP has and unlocked to work on other Network , installing a sim from different manufacturers like Att/Verizon will boot up with their splash screen and bloat . Its not the same as you were to buy Samsung carrier bloat/unlocked device as both models are different. OP can also flash to Samsung unlocked version with no problem.

SM-G960U- carrier version and can be unlocked to work with other network

SM-G960U1- Samsung unlocked with no carrier bloat or splash screen and unlocked on any network

Same as Google
You can purchase through a carrier and will load their bloat but until paid off it wont work on other Network

Unlocked Google from play store
No carrier bloat and already sim unlocked

MotorMike2020

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the great information.. I believe Mustang cleared up the reason why my S10 never got all the carrier apps but the S9 did. Its all in the "1" !! Next time I will make sure to purchase a U1 model.
Since I am using T Mobile and dont plan on changing that, I will probably just leave it for now. It is a back up device which is usually a music player when not activated. Only thing that was annoying is I am pretty sure they removed the Mobile Data quick panel button. Installed a widget to switch mobile data when needed.