I HATE JB and want to go back to ICS. Will this brick?

ninjalectual

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Using a Droid RAZR, and the JB 4.1.2 update has so many things wrong with it I can't list them all. I LOVED ICS, and my memory of that is the only thing preventing me from throwing my phone at the wall.

Is it true that if you root and try to flash ICS back, it will brick your phone? How is this possible? What can I do besides demanding out of my contract?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Using a Droid RAZR, and the JB 4.1.2 update has so many things wrong with it I can't list them all. I LOVED ICS, and my memory of that is the only thing preventing me from throwing my phone at the wall.

Is it true that if you root and try to flash ICS back, it will brick your phone? How is this possible? What can I do besides demanding out of my contract?

You don't even have to root. A factory reset should solve this for you. Then there is the irritating problem of it trying to get you to update, but I believe there are ways to disable this (though it might have to be repeated on restarts).

It is possible that rooting poorly and flashing bad roms or good roms incorrectly can result in a soft-brick... but those are usually recoverable. If you are not sure you want to root and are unfamiliar with the process, I'd recommend reading this entire thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/so...ed-questions-concerns-about-rooting-here.html
then wait a week or so, re-read the highlights and then attack! This is something it's best not to do if you're unsure.

If the choice is honestly breaking the contract or rooting, and you're not 100% sure on rooting, I'd back out of the contract.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Take it to Verizon and tell them you are having too many problems. I seen somewhere posted that if you took yhr update and were having major problems they would replace your handset. That means the new phone will still be ICS .

As far as if you root, why go back to ICS and not grab a custom JB ROM?

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You don't even have to root. A factory reset should solve this for you. Then there is the irritating problem of it trying to get you to update, but I believe there are ways to disable this (though it might have to be repeated on restarts).

It is possible that rooting poorly and flashing bad roms or good roms incorrectly can result in a soft-brick... but those are usually recoverable. If you are not sure you want to root and are unfamiliar with the process, I'd recommend reading this entire thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/so...ed-questions-concerns-about-rooting-here.html
then wait a week or so, re-read the highlights and then attack! This is something it's best not to do if you're unsure.

If the choice is honestly breaking the contract or rooting, and you're not 100% sure on rooting, I'd back out of the contract.

A little background: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-1-4-2-jelly-bean/262168-4-1-2-sucks.html#post2656647