[ODIN] Gingerbread EF02 Leak Available with Root Instructions

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well now I am getting stuck with a red screen on factoryfs (factoryfs.rfs).

What to do now?
As others said, pull the battery and leave it out to run Odin. Also the sd card removal as stated does help sometimes.

The only thing that I have noticed on my Epic is shorter battery life on EF02, and EE03 for that matter. It could be my setup, but GB seems to eat thru my battery quickly. You can notice a nice speed increase when opening applications, and when switching screens. The GPS, bluetooth, and 4G work great. I guess I have to wait for an debloated ROM to help wit the battery issue.
Battery life is still worse than Froyo, but I think that is due to the fact its been leaked builds and they haven't fully shut down all the debugging and optimized it completely yet on these leaks. Plus we are so used to running custom kernels which does make a big difference in battery.

Is battery life degraded significantly from the optimized froyo custom ROMs? How many hours are you getting? I've been craving to flash my phone for a while (haven't done so for a couple of months :( ).
See above Officer, I would hold off a bit longer if you've waited this long. Its good and its close to ready but you might as well wait for official.

I am running ACS Frozen for now with the EE03 modem firmware and its better then the last but still not the best when will they have just the radio firmware so that i can try that? i am not loading a leaked version or a rom based off a leaked version waiting for a ACE or ACS based off the official ginger rom...
I'm still up in the air if I'm going to do an ACE Gingerbread version. Ahhh you guys will complain enough and push me into it like you did with ACE and EC05.. LOL... Glad that worked out for you all... ;)

Any feedback on general performance relative to EE03? (I found it interesting that there were not a lot of comments in the past on EE03 being really laggy, while for me at least it was much slower than the stock Froyo I had been running before.)

EE03 for me also ate batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner -- well, not for dinner, since it never made it past mid-afternoon. :) I thought maybe I just had a bad flash or some other app causing the problem, so I reflashed and ran it naked for a couple weeks with nothing installed; still had terrible battery life. Interestingly, if I viewed what was using the battery, the main culprit (90%+) was always "Android System" which if you drilled into it turned out to be CIQ. Did anyone else happen to notice that?

In any case, I would like to flash EF02, but before I do I'm hoping someone will confirm that it's noticeably faster than EE03 -- and maybe check the battery usage to ensure that "Android System," aka CIQ, is not still eating battery like it was for me on EE03. Also if anyone has Quadrant / Nenamark / Linpack numbers for EF02 I'd love to see them. Thanks!
Quadrant numbers I ran were in the mid 1300 range which is about 200 points lower than Froyo on EXT4 average and easily about 300 over Froyo RFS custom. So its definitely moving faster, this should translate into some nice speed once its EXT4 with a custom kernel running it.

Reactions: Mobius360

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
As others said, pull the battery and leave it out to run Odin. Also the sd card removal as stated does help sometimes.

After a lot of reading on the how to fix a bricked phone thread, I was able to get Stock EC05 installed and then EF02 + Root. It took a lot of attempts and ultimately I think it was a cable issue. I used my wifes new Blackberry Cable and it worked right away. It's crazy how a cable I have used dozens of times seems to suddenly be an issue but the new cable worked great.

Seems like a real solid release for Gingerbread, my phone is working great.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
After a lot of reading on the how to fix a bricked phone thread, I was able to get Stock EC05 installed and then EF02 + Root. It took a lot of attempts and ultimately I think it was a cable issue. I used my wifes new Blackberry Cable and it worked right away. It's crazy how a cable I have used dozens of times seems to suddenly be an issue but the new cable worked great.

Sounds good. Yes many people find it hard to believe that a cable that works for charging or whatever gives issues with Odin. It just happens that way. Glad you got it working :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
the com box does not light up for me so when i hit start nothing happen

Try a different USB port, possibly another cable if you have one... Other options is to pull your battery out of your device and leave it out, then connect up your device and place it into Download mode and see if it connects. Also you can try removing your sd card.

Rderosier86

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Try a different USB port, possibly another cable if you have one... Other options is to pull your battery out of your device and leave it out, then connect up your device and place it into Download mode and see if it connects. Also you can try removing your sd card.
did it 2 different pcs 3 different cables still not reading it any other suggestion any way to do this with my mac?

Rderosier86

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I think i am done trying i tried 3 different usb 2 different pcs one xp one windows 7 all fail xp seem to not be able to download the driver.

deadrage78

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I started using this last night and i am in love. Thank you to everyone who made this possible. I have working netflix, gps, camera, and everything else so far. Only problem i have had is with stupid zombies, and i think that was a bad backup on my part more than anything else. I use Go launcher Ex with a black glass theme and it looks incredible. I Am using the ef10 modem instead of the ef02; it seems like it is a tad faster on wifi, 3g, and 4g. has anyone else noticed a difference between the 2 modems?
Hey Rderosier86,
I hope this is helpful; i found that this driver worked for me when others didnt.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...bile_Driver_V1.3.800_For_SPH-d700_Epic_4G.zip

Reactions: Paul627g

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
At first, I thought the vibrating meant that I had done something wrong, so I flashed the ROM again in odin only to figure out it was meant to do that. haha

therber219

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I installed this on Friday and the only drawback for me so far has been horrible battery life. Beyond that i haven't had any of the other issues, except every so often it wants me to update the modem from EF02 to EF10, or backwards. I haven't noticed a difference with either one.

I just downloaded the DEodexed version from XDA and will try it as soon as my battery re charges!

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
[Files & Guide] All *.apks & Framework / Apps safe to remove - xda-developers This is a solid guide for what is safe to remove and it still applies to EF02. I use root explorer to remove the apps I dont want then a simple reset and they are gone. Titanium Backup can be used also or an alternative.

Thanks for the info. I was able to remove some of the items that start up all of the time. For the sake of experimenting I also installed Launcheropro, and disabled TW. My battery life now is very good, just as good if not better that all of the ROM's I have installed so far. I have not noticed any issues with this Leak at all, and it is very snappy.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone notice if the LED notifications was fixed?.. The last build has been insanely stable but the 'not always work LED notifications' is annoying...

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I installed this relatively smoothly. I have an issued w/FB not being able to be uninstalled. Is there any way to uninstall FB?
I tried and it just notes that its going back to the factory version of FB where I would have to update it from the market to use it.

Epic 4G, Gingerbred EF02, modem EF10.

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Mobius360 said:

Sounds good. Yes many people find it hard to believe that a cable that works for charging or whatever gives issues with Odin. It just happens that way. Glad you got it working :)

see, THAT is what i call a "Plug 'n Pray" technology :)

same exact thing happened to me and when i used my Sprint Pre(-) cable odin flashed flawlessly!!! :eek:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I installed this relatively smoothly. I have an issued w/FB not being able to be uninstalled. Is there any way to uninstall FB?
I tried and it just notes that its going back to the factory version of FB where I would have to update it from the market to use it.

Epic 4G, Gingerbred EF02, modem EF10.

That is normal behavior of any system app (nav, football, nascar, etc...). you'll need to root and remove the facebook apk's from the system folder, otherwise you'll only be able to uninstall the "updates" to the app.