Working GCAM for S23 (only tested on Ultra)

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
First off, this is not my discovery, but I am posting instructions here because the ones on the source are a little confusing. The issues with the instructions are mainly from the poster not being a native English speaker, so I am adding some more details here. Also, some of these details were found in the responses to this post, so consolidating here for others. :)

The files can be found in the original post here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4697013

Here are some more details on how to get this working:

1. Download the APK AND the ZIP file from the post linked above
2. Unzip the ZIP file to the root of your internal storage, the ZIP file will make a new folder named SGCAM
-- This will create 4 sub folders, but the XML one is the main one you need
3. Install the Camera APK
4. launch the Camera - IT WILL CRASH, this is needed!!!

This is where it gets tricky to explain and do, but I will give it a go...

5. Open the app drawer and LONG PRESS the new CAMERA app (NOT the Samsung Camera App (the icons will be different))) and select Take a Selfie
6. Once the app launches, you need to be quick on this part... Tap (multiple times) on the area between the shutter button and the gallery preview (pictured below). You will get a popup to import an XML file (was included in the ZIP you unzipped earlier) and click IMPORT and you are done.

Do not hang around on this screen. Until the XML is imported properly, the app will crash on you.

At this point, the GCam app will launch without crashing. Now, as for how well this works compared to the Samsung Camera, I have no idea and I just got this working, but plan to test it out.

gcam.jpg
Tap attack this area until the Import Pop-Up appears

To Uninstall:

1. Uninstall the APK
2. Delete the SGCAM folder on your device

Last edited:

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I find that I REALLY like the included camera over the GCAM. Not sure it's worth all of the praise.

I just did this quick comparison with default settings... GCAM looks so much.... noisier?

Samsung Camera:
S-CAM.jpg

Google Camera:
G-CAM.jpg

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's quite a difference.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I mean, I am sure I an tweak things, but just out of the box, I am very unimpressed.

Then again, I am forcing the app to run on a device it really wasn't meant too, so when it's running on a proper device, this may be a totally different story.

Since I have it installed and working, I am going to play around with it, but overall, I think Samsung has done a fantastic job with not only the hardware, but also the software and I REALLY HOPE that what is on the S23 makes it down to the other models out there.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am nowhere near Pro, but I tried really hard to get clean images from GCAM and I just can't. I'm removing it as it's just not worth it.

Between the Default Camera and Expert Raw Mode, there isn't even a comparison.

If anyone else tries this and can do better, please let us know! :D

Reactions: Super Spartan

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm STILL trying and I think this is the last one for me. I cannot get GCAM cannot get nice pics...

My desk, I wanted to take a pic of something that was brighter than what I have been trying...

Samsing Cam:
S-CAM-Desk.jpg

Google Cam:
G-CAM-Desk.jpg

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I did try a couple other APK's that were newer versions (this one is 8.4.400.42.XXX_STABLE_V43):

First Try: 8.4.600.440402475.27

Constant crashes, cannot load XML file.

Another try:

8.7.250.44 by Shamim

Constant crashes, cannot load XML file.

In the end, I am deleting it and just going to stick with Samsung Camera.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm STILL trying and I think this is the last one for me. I cannot get GCAM cannot get nice pics...

My desk, I wanted to take a pic of something that was brighter than what I have been trying...

Samsing Cam:
View attachment 351285

Google Cam:
View attachment 351286
Nice keyboard and monitor. What are the specs?

I'd love to see a photo of your PC in the regular S23 Ultra photo thread.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Nice keyboard and monitor. What are the specs?

I'd love to see a photo of your PC in the regular S23 Ultra photo thread.

KB is a Razer Huntsman, Monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Curved Screen (OG version, not NEO or OLED, those have a LOT of issues), Mouse is the Razer Naga Trinity and the Laptop against the wall is my work MacBook Pro and my personal machine is an ASUS ROG Strix 15" Gaming Laptop with a 3070Ti and i9-13900 CPU.

Also, above the monitor is my VR headset - Oculus Rift S

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
KB is a Razer Huntsman, Monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Curved Screen (OG version, not NEO or OLED, those have a LOT of issues), Mouse is the Razer Naga Trinity and the Laptop against the wall is my work MacBook Pro and my personal machine is an ASUS ROG Strix 15" Gaming Laptop with a 3070Ti and i9-13900 CPU.

Also, above the monitor is my VR headset - Oculus Rift S
That's awesome! I'd love to have that monitor (if I had room for it). Mine is only 24" 75 Hz refresh rate, but the next one I get will be 27" and have a better refresh rate (at least 144 Hz).

I'm using a Logitech G513 with brown switches and a Corsair Katar Pro XT mouse.

PC has Ryzen 7 5700X and Radeon RX 6600XT.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome! I'd love to have that monitor (if I had room for it). Mine is only 24" 75 Hz refresh rate, but the next one I get will be 27" and have a better refresh rate (at least 144 Hz).

I'm using a Logitech G513 with brown switches and a Corsair Katar Pro XT mouse.

PC has Ryzen 7 5700X and Radeon RX 6600XT.

Yeah, this monitor takes some work. Although, I rarely use it at the full 240Hz and normally run it at 120Hz. The size is an issue for some (that is why the 34-38 inch curved sell more). When I got this, I tried the monitor stand it came with, but with me being 6'5" tall, it was WAY TOO LOW. So, I went on the hunt for a Monitor Arm.

This thing comes in at 30 pounds (without the stand), and the fact that it is curved and the center of gravity is moved forward, the arm and head that can hold this thing ended up costing me north of $400.

Yeah yeah, first world problems, I know.

I will say that having this and no other screen makes it nice without breaks between screens and just one solid display to use. You never realize how big a 49" curved screen is until you see it. I have threatened to get another one and stack them on top of each other, but the wife has put the brakes on that... for now... *evil grin*. :D

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this monitor takes some work. Although, I rarely use it at the full 240Hz and normally run it at 120Hz. The size is an issue for some (that is why the 34-38 inch curved sell more). When I got this, I tried the monitor stand it came with, but with me being 6'5" tall, it was WAY TOO LOW. So, I went on the hunt for a Monitor Arm.

This thing comes in at 30 pounds (without the stand), and the fact that it is curved and the center of gravity is moved forward, the arm and head that can hold this thing ended up costing me north of $400.

Yeah yeah, first world problems, I know.

I will say that having this and no other screen makes it nice without breaks between screens and just one solid display to use. You never realize how big a 49" curved screen is until you see it. I have threatened to get another one and stack them on top of each other, but the wife has put the brakes on that... for now... *evil grin*. :D
How is your laptop in terms of heat? Have you ever experienced thermal throttling when gaming?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
How is your laptop in terms of heat? Have you ever experienced thermal throttling when gaming?

I have a cooling pad that it sits on. When gaming, I switch it on and have never seen/experienced an issue while gaming. I mainly game in VR and use my driving rig.

driving-rig.jpg

I plan to build a cockpit and make it a real driving SIM setup once we move into the house and have more room. The apartment we're in now is too small for something like that. LOL!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a cooling pad that it sits on. When gaming, I switch it on and have never seen/experienced an issue while gaming. I mainly game in VR and use my driving rig.

View attachment 351334

I plan to build a cockpit and make it a real driving SIM setup once we move into the house and have more room. The apartment we're in now is too small for something like that. LOL!
A look at it from behind, Banana for scale...

View attachment 351335
That's awesome! VR is something I've never tried. I've never played any racing games either. That setup you have is awesome. It looks so realistic. That's good your cooling pad works with your games to keep things cool. It'll be really nice when you get your house and are able to improve your setup. Maybe you could even try flight games when you get an enclosed cockpit. That seems like it would be nice for VR, like playing from a drone's view.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome! VR is something I've never tried. I've never played any racing games either. That setup you have is awesome. It looks so realistic. That's good your cooling pad works with your games to keep things cool. It'll be really nice when you get your house and are able to improve your setup. Maybe you could even try flight games when you get an enclosed cockpit. That seems like it would be nice for VR, like playing from a drone's view.

I have one flying game I am working on getting my flight stock and throttle for, a few of my friends play it (X-Wing Squadrons) in VR and they say it REALLY rocks! I also want to play No Man's Sky in VR with the setup too! :D

I just focus'd on racing games as that is my main love (well, outside of RPG games). LOL!

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Someone finally posted working GCAM modes at XDA, and honestly they are just as bad, if not worse, than what I showed.

I REALLY do not think it is even worth it.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you tested it moving objects are better with the gcam. I know native camera isn't as good as Google's

There is a pretty big thread going on XDA with other GCAM mods being updated and actively being worked on, however, every sample I see, GCam is just worse than the native camera. Especially when Astro Mode does not work and one of the features I am trying to learn to use.

All in all, I just don't think GCam can really compare this time around. Who knows, but it's more work than I am willing to put in for less than stellar results.