Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Talking Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    I need your guys' expert opinions because I really dont trust reviews when it comes to things like this.. I have a rooted EVO 4G, I do everything with it. It is my lifeline for all my other devices to have internet etc.. Can you guys tell me what I would miss from my EVO that I cant do on the Epic? Is the Epic root as simple as the Evo root? Any info you can provide would be helpful.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    I had an EVO 4G two phones ago and I can honestly say that the E4GT is an amazing device that does everything my EVO did and more. The battery life alone is amazing!!

    Rooting the E4GT is very simple because in most instructions there is a link to a video by qbking77 that is VERY helpful. The ROM I'm running has hotspot unlocked for wifi tether.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    I had an EVO 4G two phones ago and I can honestly say that the E4GT is an amazing device that does everything my EVO did and more. The battery life alone is amazing!!

    Rooting the E4GT is very simple because in most instructions there is a link to a video by qbking77 that is VERY helpful. The ROM I'm running has hotspot unlocked for wifi tether.
    Wow, that is great to hear! Did you have a hard time getting used to a non sense based rom? Is it true that you cant link contacts together and they show doubled in your contact list i.e facebook contacts sync plus google contact syncs and you cant merge the 2? The battery life is one of the main complaints I have about my EVo and today holding the Epic 4G made my Evo feel like a 10 ton brick!
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Quote Originally Posted by depechemodegurl View Post
    Wow, that is great to hear! Did you have a hard time getting used to a non sense based rom? Is it true that you cant link contacts together and they show doubled in your contact list i.e facebook contacts sync plus google contact syncs and you cant merge the 2? The battery life is one of the main complaints I have about my EVo and today holding the Epic 4G made my Evo feel like a 10 ton brick!
    I went from an Evo 4g to an Evo 3d. Used the 3d for about 3 months and then upgraded another line to the Epic 4g touch and gave my wife the 3d. Couldn't be happier. I liked both the 4g and 3d, but the e4gt is amazing. With my normal work day use, so far I have 80% battery left after over 9 hours. Thats with an hour of screen on time. Also, no its not true that you cant merge the contacts. In contacts you hit the "join" contacts and you pick which ones you want to join together.




    Last edited by dcaplinger76; 03-15-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Wow that is awesome! My evo sits on the charger all day because the battery is so worthless
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Quote Originally Posted by depechemodegurl View Post
    Wow, that is great to hear! Did you have a hard time getting used to a non sense based rom? Is it true that you cant link contacts together and they show doubled in your contact list i.e facebook contacts sync plus google contact syncs and you cant merge the 2? The battery life is one of the main complaints I have about my EVo and today holding the Epic 4G made my Evo feel like a 10 ton brick!
    I can't speak for syncing contacts since I don't sync my contacts.

    I didn't have any trouble moving over from Sense to AOSP at all to be honest. I really liked the different themes I tried out on all the ROMs I flashed. By the time I got rid of my EVO 4G I forgot what Sense was like

    The last ROM I had on my E4GT gave me about 20+/- hours of battery life with average use. I just recently flashed an ICS ROM so haven't been able to test that out properly.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Well I think you guys have convinced me to make the switch. I was thinking of holding out for the nexus but I'm not in an area that will have LTE anytime soon.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    So I now hold in my hand a brand new white Epic, this phone is utterly amazing. The display screen alone is enough to make me drool. However, just a couple questions, do you guys know what the 2 black dots are for next to the earpiece and camera? I thought it would be the LED for missed notifications but that is on the other side. I havent seen them blink or anything so I'm not sure they are even LED's at all but thats what the book says they are. Also, after rooting will I be able to use more of the 16gb memory for apps and stuff, right now its showing that only 2gb is partitioned for that.
  9. #9  
    garwynn's Avatar

    Posts
    342 Posts
    ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    About the 2GB for apps, that's it unless you get an external SD Card... but when you think about it, 2GB is a LOT. The only person that I ever heard even coming close to filling it had over 300 apps.

    My suggestion? Put on what you like/use and then see where you're at. Worst case, shell out $20-ish for a class 10 16 GB MicroSD card.
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    Sn1per 117's Avatar
    Flashaholic

    Posts
    233 Posts
    ROM
    PACman

    Default

    One is a proximity sensor while the other is used for the camera lighting and ambient lighting/auto adjust brightness I'm pretty sure.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sn1per 117 View Post
    One is a proximity sensor while the other is used for the camera lighting and ambient lighting/auto adjust brightness I'm pretty sure.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    That makes sense, the only thing I cant find that I had on my evo was in the settings under development there was a setting to keep the phone awake while it was on the charger but the Epic doesnt have that listed or its somewhere else and I havent found it yet.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    do you mean epic 4g? or epic 4g touch? the epic 4g touch doesn't have a slide out keyboard, epic 4g does.

    i own the epic 4g touch and it is super fast, easy to root, there are decent ICS leaked ROMs out. i would recommend this phone to anybody :P
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Quote Originally Posted by rocker22dallas View Post
    do you mean epic 4g? or epic 4g touch? the epic 4g touch doesn't have a slide out keyboard, epic 4g does.

    i own the epic 4g touch and it is super fast, easy to root, there are decent ICS leaked ROMs out. i would recommend this phone to anybody :P
    I bought the touch too, slide out keyboard and smaller screen are not for me =)
  14. #14  
    rraman3110's Avatar

    Posts
    118 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted FK09 4.1.2

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    The only thing you are going to miss is the kickstand. I have had around 4 android phones so far (Evo 4g, Epic 4g, Motorola Photon, Epic 4g Touch) and an iPhone 4. I use my epic 4g touch when in the states and take my photon when leaving the country.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depechemodegurl View Post
    That makes sense, the only thing I cant find that I had on my evo was in the settings under development there was a setting to keep the phone awake while it was on the charger but the Epic doesnt have that listed or its somewhere else and I havent found it yet.
    There is no option on this phone to set the screen to always on while charging unfortunately. However, I believe there is an App from the market you can download that will do it.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    There is no option on this phone to set the screen to always on while charging unfortunately. However, I believe there is an App from the market you can download that will do it.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I found it in the market under stay awake.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    I just made the switch too from evo 4g to e4gt it has been really easy to root and get cwm on it. what are some great stable roms to look at? all I did so far is root, cwm,hot spot beacuase I had my evo tweaked really good.

    would love to get my battery bar back that I had on top and I had custom (old marine corp recon symble) as the unlock slide
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shane f View Post
    I just made the switch too from evo 4g to e4gt it has been really easy to root and get cwm on it. what are some great stable roms to look at? all I did so far is root, cwm,hot spot beacuase I had my evo tweaked really good.

    would love to get my battery bar back that I had on top and I had custom (old marine corp recon symble) as the unlock slide
    Not sure about the battery bar or the slider but I'm running Calkulin's latest ICS Tweaked ROM and it is pretty nice. Pretty much stock looking with some sweet stuff added like: hacked Sprint hot spot, battery savings, faster, removed bloatware, etc.

    Take a look on the XDA forums. It is basically like having a stock experience but better. Good luck with your new phone.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Don't start installing ics leaks without research first. Calkulin has a tweaked gingerbread rom that Is near perfect.

    Sent from my Galaxy S II epic 4g touch. 4.0.3 FC24 ICS
    Thanked by:
    cjones 
  20. #20  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    879 Posts

    Cool Re: Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

    Quote Originally Posted by depechemodegurl View Post
    I need your guys' expert opinions because I really dont trust reviews when it comes to things like this.. I have a rooted EVO 4G, I do everything with it. It is my lifeline for all my other devices to have internet etc.. Can you guys tell me what I would miss from my EVO that I cant do on the Epic? Is the Epic root as simple as the Evo root? Any info you can provide would be helpful.
    As a previous owner of the EVO 4G, and now the current owner of a Epic Touch 4G, I can honestly tell you you will miss nothing by making the switch. The phone is faster, and the battery life alone makes it worth it. Throw in the fact that the EVO 4G is end of life, and the Epic Touch 4G will be getting the ICS update I think it is a no brain er.

Posting Permissions