What's the Difference Between Calkulin's and Darchstar's ICS ROM?

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: What's the Difference Between Calkulin's and Darchstar's ICS

Calkulin's ROM:
[ ROM ] Calkulin's E4GT 2 v1.1 [ ICS l FC07 l Tweaked l Battery Saver Script ] - xda-developers
Darchstar's ROM:
[ROM] Unofficial CM9 Testing builds for Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers

I realize Darchstar is using some of the CyanogenMod enhancements but not all since he isn't using the cm-kernel but Has anyone tried both or know what's the difference or have any recommendations between these two builds?

Calkulin's rom are touchwiz based (ie what samsung releases). Darchstar's is Android Open Source Project (AOSP) which is based off of Google's stock releases, it is full Cyanogenmod right now manufacturers haven't modified the ICS kernel enough to where it isn't cross compatible. This is a good thing for us because it helps run AOSP(google built) roms.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: What's the Difference Between Calkulin's and Darchstar's ICS

Darchstar's ROM isn't using the CM9 kernel because there basically isn't one for the E4GT yet. sbrissen did a nice job piecing one together, but I think they determined that it would be best to use Samsung's stock kernel until the source code was published. Samsung won't publish the kernel source until the ICS officially goes live, so it's a waiting game.

As far as the differences, well it really boils down to the fundamental differences between ROMs created by device manufacturers, and AOSP ROMs created from the Android source code by individual developers separate from the device companies, such as CyanogenMod and MIUI. Generally, AOSP ROMs come with many more options for customization and theming, and can sometimes run cleaner, faster and more efficiently on a device than what the manufacturer created. Usually the people who love CyanogenMod are those who prefer the pure Android open source experience over the eye candy and bloat of ROMs like TouchWiz and Sense.

Simply put, Calkulin's ROM is a modified version of Samsung's stock ICS ROM. Darchstar's ROM is an unofficial version of CM9 built from CyanogenMod's source code and modified to work with the E4GT. I don't know exactly how the process works, but at some point (hopefully) the CyanogenMod team will put their stamp of approval on CM9 for the E4GT and start supporting it officially. This will take some time though.

I hope that covers the basics for you. Sometimes you have to see for yourself to really see the differences. However, I would urge you to read the sticky thread about the current unofficial CM9 builds for our phone and how to work with them before you decide to try it. You have to be more careful than is normally required right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty