My initial impressions of the Body Glove Cover for the Evo

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have a camera handy to post some pictures, but since there is a video review out there somewhere, I figured it wasn't completely necessary.

YouTube - Sprint's Body Glove protective cover for the Evo 4G

And here the link to Sprints site:

Sprint - All Accessories

I have been extremely careful with my Evo, the main concern being the camera lens. It is actually the only reason why I was looking into a protective cover since that whole "park the phone on the camera lens" makes no sense to me. Today I dropped my Evo for the first time (hit the release button on the navigation cradle it was sitting in and it hit the padded dashboard and fell face up onto the carpet, no damage thankfully) and thought "that's it" and went to the mall to try and find a protective cover. I didn't like the Seidio one since it seemed like having to slide things in and out might harm the finish after a while. I am one of the few people that found the slightly futuristic backside of the that cover attractive, and the locking mechanism seemed to make sense to me as well. The Sprint store at the mall finally got those babies in, and since a friend of mine works there, he openend one for me and I was able to try it out. Sprint lists this thing for 25 bucks, and they marked it up to 35! Anyhow, I got it at a reduced price, but anyhow that's besides the point.

Quality: While it looks fairly well put together, the gray looking part of the back cover has a certain cheapness to it. The border between it and the black outer part looks a bit uneven, kind of like when you spray paint something and don't do a perfect job of masking the part you don't want to paint off. It's not horrible looking, but to the decerning eye, it is obvious.

Installation: Easy as pie. Set the Evo into the back cover, take the front part, set it in place and snap it in place. 6 snaps hold the front cover to the back cover.

The Evo looks to be pretty happy encased with this thing, and it doesn't hinder the operation of any of the buttons, the kickstand, or the screen in the least bit. If you first look at the phone laying on a table, you don't even notice right away that something was added to the Evo. The cover is very thin, but yet thick enough so that the camera lens no longer makes contact with the surface, as long as it is a flat surface.

Removal: The guy in that video made it look easy, he twisted the penny and the whole thing came right apart. Either he was lucky or he practiced a bit, because it is not quite that easy. When I first tried it myself I was able to get the lower part free pretty easily, but the top part would not come off. Well, there's a trick to that, just start taking the phone out once you have the bottom half free, and the cover will come apart without much drama. The snaps seem pretty tough I don't think they will break very quickly, unless you really force the two parts apart. With a little finesse it's pretty easy.

Concerns: The fit of the top cover is pretty tight, so there shouldn't be too much of an issue as far as dirt accumulating under it. Frequent cleaning might be a good idea though. The one major concern is the thinness of the top cover where the volume rocker switches are, that's is the weakest point, so if at all possible try to avoid tugging on it when you try to get the phone out of a leather horizontal case.

So far so good. I was hoping for the back to have a bit more of a quality look to it, and I am not a big fan of the weak area by the volume rocker. Depending on what the Otter cover will look like, this might just be a temporary thing to keep my camera lens safe.

Verdict: Knowing your lens cover is not kissing the surface you place the phone on is comforting, but a bit pricey for what it is.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

NokiaNokia

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have this case from day 1. It's thin, just the way I like it. You are right the gray color in the back is cheap looking, they should have used black instead of gray.

alvarezjpr

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the body glove case at first and I liked it except it felt too slippery. I also bought the silicone case from Sprint and I like that one more. It feels safer in my hands.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. After having this thing for 2 days now, I am actually thinking of returning it. The thinness of the case at the area by the volume buttons is really freaking me out, and grabbing the phone there just feels weird. Also, I am starting to not like the feel of the case, it feels more slippery than without a case on, and it has that squeaky clean annoying feel to it, it's hard to describe but I guess what I am saying is that in the mean time really dislike the texture and general feel of the case.

Another thing I am having an issue with is that the universal Body Glove horizontal leather case I got from Radio Shack is just a bit too small now for the phone with the case in place. I think my solution will be to just buy the Seidio Innocase II with leather case combo. I have the leather case for the Pre and it is a high quality piece.

kudosmog

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I just posted this on another thread, but have you noticed when using the kickstand the phone is less stable? Almost like it wants to tip over. Doesn't do it for me with no case, but when I have the bodyglove case on it feels less stable.