Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Global Posts
    430 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    You turned me on to something I didn't even know existed. I just had to order one of those.
    Which? The razor or the brush? Or, hopefully, both? I switched to double edge razors a year ago. It's one of the best decisions I've made. I get fantastic shaves with them, and it really helped my skin to clear up. I went a little overboard and started collecting them. At one point I was up to about 30 razors until I picked up the one pictured (a Merkur Progress with custom handle and adjustment knob, if you're wondering). Among my collection are razors from 1917, 1919, 1923, and a smattering of Gillette razors from the 40's through the 70's, including a very nice Gillette Super Adjustable from my birth year (1979). All of them are fantastic shavers. In addition to being great shaves, blades are dirt dirt cheap. Depending on what blades agree with your face, you can easily get 100 blades for under $20. With a little searching, you can drop that number down near $12. I've got about 200 Feather blades, 100 Derby, and 100 Astra. I spent about $70 total for them. At the rate I'm using them, I should be good on blades for about 3 years. Try that with a Mach 3 or a Fusion and you'll come up way short. Do yourself a HUGE favor and check out the wetshaving videos by Mantic59 on Youtube. It'll save you a lot of aggravation and razor burn and teach you some proper technique to give you a better, smoother shave. Also, don't be afraid to try different combinations of stuff. Some razors work better with some blades than others. And stay far away from Merkur blades. Their razors are very nice, but their blades are overpriced trash.

Ok, done being off topic.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Corey: I am very excited about your post and appreciate all the info you just provided. I plan on PM'ing you separately.

Now what are the chances of anyone finding a $2 bill? It's been years since I've seen one personally.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

New item = Box of Tampons
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    New item = Box of Tampons
    LOL -- I definitely won't be the one posting that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #80  

before anyone says anything... they're my wife's..

next item: a knit hat

Next item: A 100 pack spindle of DVD-R
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Sure they are ;-)

you beat me
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #83  

RE: wet shaving...

I discovered this about 3 years ago. I switched based primarily on economics. I was using the multi-blade cartridge thing and every time I spent $20+ for a box of blades that gave me a crappy, irritated shave I got angry. I spent about $50 for a Merkur razor, $50 for a badger brush, $30 for a variety of shave creams, and $10 for an assortment of different brand razors

I did an excel spreadsheet (I know, I'm anal) and determined that after about 1 year I'd start saving and then every year I continued using with the wet shave method I'd see more cost benefits.

I didn't plan on enjoying it soooo much and the added benefit of a wonderful and enjoyable shave were reason enough to switch (aside from the cost savings).

I settled on feather blades (made in Japan, ninja assassin sharp) I buy about 6 months worth at a time off of a website. It works out to be about $0.50 per blade. I switch every Sunday morning - So, with cream - about a buck a week. I agree with Corey, stay away from Merkur blades (overpriced and not very good).

I use Proraso shave cream from Italy. It costs about $10 and lasts about 4-5 months if you switch off to others in your arsenal of a medicine cabinet. It has menthol and eucalyptus which I'm told are not great for sensitive skin as it dries it out - However, I have sensitive skin and it works great for me. Please DON'T switch to wet shaving and use some aerosol gel crap.

Use an alcohol free aftershave - you WILL have little invisible cuts and knicks when starting off with a double-edge. Alcohol will sting like nothing you wanna know. I use Cade aftershave from l'occitane.

Buy a styptic pencil - or better yet - an alum block. Research these to see what they are. Research, research, research - wet shaving is NOT easy until you re-learn how to listen to your face. Most important: let the razor do the work, don't push, and use plenty of hot water.

You'll love it and will have ZERO bumps or irritation within 2 weeks and will actually look forward to shaving.

ok... sorry to everyone who doesn't care about this. I just can't help preaching about the benefits of wet shaving.

back on topic... what is it now DVD-R's?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #84  

this WAS a 100 pack a while ago.... will you accept this Weirdkid???
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  

Larry, I just now caught the "sure they are" jab... well, you're on to me. I'm the famous menstruating male - don't tease, I'm sensitive about it.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    RE: wet shaving...
    Thanks for everything you wrote. Corey and I swapped PM's about this and you both have me totally sold. I can't wait until my Merkur HD 38 arrives. Now I need to acquire a good brush and the creams you guys recommend. If nothing else, I just think the razor looks freaking awesome.

How about this?

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

this WAS a 100 pack a while ago.... will you accept this Weirdkid???
    That says CD-R, not DVD-R

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Thanks for everything you wrote. Corey and I swapped PM's about this and you both have me totally sold. I can't wait until my Merkur HD 38 arrives. Now I need to acquire a good brush and the creams you guys recommend. If nothing else, I just think the razor looks freaking awesome.

How about this?
    Looks like 50.

No one seems to have a 100 pack =P

I have a 100 pack of DVD+R does that count??

Last edited by scodoublet; 02-07-2010 at 02:02 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Larry, I just now caught the "sure they are" jab... well, you're on to me. I'm the famous menstruating male - don't tease, I'm sensitive about it.
    Sorry about your problem and I promise no more teasing
    LOL
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by scodoublet View Post

I would say yes that counts!!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #94  

alright.... what's next scodoublet?

Quote Originally Posted by scodoublet View Post

Yeah that's doable

Hmm OK since it's superbowl sunday and everything I figure somebody should be able to find and photograph one of these... I want to see a picture of a Beer Keg! LoL
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #97  

great item. love it.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Going on a day and a half with no keg : ( we all need to start drinking more this is pretty sad.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    Going on a day and a half with no keg : ( we all need to start drinking more this is pretty sad.
    I'm right by Sun Life Stadium, there was no way in hell I was going out last night with all the crazies... Plus, my dad an I switched cars, so I don't think he'd like it if his car came back dinged, weather it by my fault or not.

LoL should I change items??
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast