Suggestions on prepaid phone

kemoss1990

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
broke and in college so looking for an Android phone 150-250ish price range...I have the samsung intercept on VM currently and honestly its making me hate android. Will consider flashing a phone to Metropcs if it has full functionality.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Why not go on e-bay, and get a used unlocked gsm phone?

Usually the packaged pre-paids offered by US carriers, are not that "feature rich", and you could get a whole lot better phone in used or refurbished condition, considering a lot of people like to ditch their phones whenever the newest models come out.

The Optimus V the poster above mentioned, is an ok bottom line phone, but, can be a little wonky when Romming, and fixing issues as a result of a bad flash. In other words, not as easy to fix as others.

kemoss1990

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
well honestly i wanted a phone with either a bigger screen or a keyboard and that could run flash....and if i get a unlocked gsm im not really sure how all that works out w/ carriers and monthly fees on prepaid

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Pre-paid is pre-paid, regardless of what ph you choose. If you're looking for a state of the art model like a Galaxy S II with a pre-paid account at the carriers (bundled deal), you're about out of luck. Well, not about, but totally SOL.

If you want a slide out keyboard, and still keep a large display, then you should look for something like a desire Z or the carrier based equivelant. You won't find it in a bundled pre-paid package. These were, and still are in most cases, considered a premium phone.

Of course, if you wait till Nov, the christmas line will come out, so you might see 1 or 2 models added to the low budget pre-paid lineup. Maybe. But they won't be premium phones for under $200.

Most of the "unlocked" gsm phones, will get 3g in most countries. Mine, has no issues.

And if you're "broke" and on a limited budget, I don't think you;'re concerned about 4g, 4lte, 4ltd, super4, or any type of 4g network, because you can't afford the data plan. Besides, your prepaid, well, only works on 3g.

Unlocked, means unlocked. And they will work on 3g networks, exactly what budget pre-paid phones do. But you will have a much better phone in the long run, to purshase a used great phone, versus a POS cheap phone.

But hey, if you wanna buy cheap, expect cheap ;)

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Evo 4g doesn't have a "keyboard", which you said you wanted.

And their site, won't let me look, as I don't have a valid "zip code"!!! HA!

But, will the "4g" operate at 4g speeds on a prepaid? Probably not, but hey, if you can get an Evo 4g for less than 200 on a prepaid, I would do it. Make sure it's a gsm tho.

Just remember, Metro PCS, is like the bottom of the mobile market. as in they are the bottom of all providers, as in terms of users, and coverage. I suspect support ranks in there also. Are these the phones you buy at WalMart in the shrinkwrapped packages near the checkout? I don't know, never seen them when I visit the states.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure it doesn't say "Bad EIN".

Usually means a stolen phone, or some idiot didn't pay his bill.;)

With Amazon, or E-Bay, you never know.

schreiby

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
if you get a evo 4g and want to flash to metro, the 4g will probably not work cuz metropcs uses lte for 4g and sprint uses wimax. metro's 3g is 1x, which is slowish. (i've got 1x and want to upgrade to 4g.) if you already have a gsm phone, it may be worth your while to check out simple mobile, which looks very similar to metropcs in terms of pricing.
good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress