Question regarding unlocked phones.

ToastMan

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
So my brother is currently in the US until the 15th of October. We have our eyes on the T-Mobile version of the Samsung galaxy S2 which is expected to be released on the 12th. My question is whether these kind of carrier branded phones are expected to appear unlocked at the same time of release? And if not, if it will be available to purchase for full price without a contract which I could unlock via some other store?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
That's probably a question best asked at the store. To the best of my knowledge, all devices sold at the stores are locked to the carrier. This includes devices sold under and without a contract (full price). The last full price product I bought, was a nokia 6 yrs ago, and it was locked. But that was 6yrs ago with Cingular. I got the unlock code free from the internet.

Now, you're best off getting the phone at the carriers shop rather than say WalMart or Best Buy. I would explain to them, that you travel abroad quite frequently, and that you need an unlocked device so you can use a local Sim when abroad. If they're understanding, they will unlock the device free of charge. They don't Have to though, and could just simply tell you it's against company policy. But you'll have better luck if you buy a full price device I would suspect.

If you're not successful at the shop, then go on the net, and find a site which will send you the unlock code. Usually for about $10.

Keep in mind, some features will not work when you operate on a different carriers network. Like 4g for example. And you may not get OTA updates pushed to you.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
TMO will send unlock code after a period of time. My SGS4G is unlocked and so is the backup Behold II.

I bought an unlocked Galaxy 3 that was called Apollo elsewhere. My kid in England has to stop grabbing my unlocked phones!

ritzy9527

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
hi ToastMan, i'm happy to suggest You..i don't know whether the upcoming new model is coming without unlocking or not..but even if it get unlocked you can find the way to unlock the phone by using the unlock codes..Same problem i have faced a year back when i intend to bought a new phone..then i came to know this unlocking codes approach..i found unlocking codes facility here Onlinegsmunlock.com , i hope this will be useful .

Last edited: