new microSD card swap process

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
got a 32gig microsd card for xmas, want to upgrade the 16gig in my phone now.

is it as simple as formatting and drag and dropping everything over?

any hidden files or partitions I need to worry about?

Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Copy the files from the old sd card over to your computer, format the new sd card if needed, then transfer all the files from the old card (backed up on the computer) to the new sd card. Pop the new card into the phone and you'll be good to go.

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Can I transfer the file that are currently on my 16gb card while its in my phone?

What I mean is accessing the 16gb card by usb to my phone and opening via mass storage, then cut and paste to my computer, then cut and paste from computer to my new 32gb card, then eject 16gb card from phone and turn off, install 32gb card and turn on phone.

Is that the right process?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Can I transfer the file that are currently on my 16gb card while its in my phone?

What I mean is accessing the 16gb card by usb to my phone and opening via mass storage, then cut and paste to my computer, then cut and paste from computer to my new 32gb card, then eject 16gb card from phone and turn off, install 32gb card and turn on phone.

Is that the right process?

You need to format your new card in your phone. There have been some people that had problems when they didn't do this. And you don't need to restart the phone to swap the cards, just unmount the old one and mount the new one.

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You need to format your new card in your phone. There have been some people that had problems when they didn't do this. And you don't need to restart the phone to swap the cards, just unmount the old one and mount the new one.

So format the new card in my phone first and then add the files off my computer? Will the format open folders on the new card that will get duplicated when I do the drag and drop from the old card?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So format the new card in my phone first and then add the files off my computer? Will the format open folders on the new card that will get duplicated when I do the drag and drop from the old card?

Yes, from what I remember, some files will be created on the new SD. Just like any time you copy stuff from one place to another, you wll get prompted for any duplicate files. Just choose not to copy those over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress