Backing up old driod and restoring to new driod

Boxbirder

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Greetings,

I have about 125 Andriod based phones on my exchange server now. Many of these phones are going into upgrade. Is there a program like blackberry desktop manager or Itunes that I can back up the old phone and restore to the new phone. Also is there a cloud based program that I can use to back up there phones to my hosted storage server say once a week.

Boxbirder

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
No one has a solution for this, it can not be that hard to back up the old phone and restore to there new phone. I just need the software to take the back up image.

Or they could always give it the college try and reinstall all there apps, but what about all there texts, settings and such. I knew Black Berry was on to something with there desk top manager and apple with the Icloud.

HMMMM

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called MyBackup you should check out. I never used it, but I searched in the Market and found it for you.

ecfinn

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the big areas where Android is light years behind both Apple and BB. That and the ability to natively handle calendar invites. Two things that were seemless and easy on BB are so difficult on Android. I'd love to know how this works for you.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
For upgrade day, I have AppMonster Pro

“Application Manager for Android
AppMonster is the Application Manager for Android.

With AppMonster you can easily manage your apps. Enjoy features like backup, restore, uninstall, install from SD card, share and much more.

Simple, light user-interface and stability.

Let the AppMonster support you after phone reset or switch to a new phone. With backup of Market-Links you'll get your apps back and update-notifications from Market as well.

You don't need to root your phone, AppMonster works without root.”

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you want to back up apps? Contacts? Emails? Everything?

What is the upgrade path? Newer version of the same model? Totally different phone?

There are different solutions, depending on the situation.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The one thing you do not want to do is restore full images from one phone to another, especially if they are different makes/models.

I wrote this a while back to help folks who were switching ROM's like changing socks:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...back-up-what-restore-when-switching-roms.html
Some of it, like using Titanium, only pertains to rooted users which I assume your user base is not. Nonetheless it may give you some ideas for a strategy regarding text messages and apps.

Of course all the Exchange info will transfer as soon as you re-connect Exchange. Paid apps are tied to their gmail account in the market. For devices with Gingerbread, there is a way to backup un-paid apps in the market as well. I can't remember where the setting is off the top of my head, but I know it asks if you want Google to backup settings and such when you do the initial setup or after a reset. Hopefully someone with a better memory then me can chime in.

Hope this helps.