Taking pics with cell phones

jojobda

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I was never really big into photography as its kind of expensive, but the camera on my own s3 is pretty awsome. I was wondering if there is a guide anywhere on taking different kinds of pics etc or what the different modes are for with situations. Like I don't know what macro is etc. Just looking forward to taking some cool pictures on my phone and maybe sharing on instagram. I wouldn't mind doing more than auto pics.

Thx

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I-9300

jojobda

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Macro is for taking close up shots or shots of small things. What other modes are you confused about?

Thx. I will explore macro mode when I get the right subject hehe. In regards to the s3, it has a mode called beauty. Any idea what that's about?

Here's a nice little primer I found - Have fun with it!

21 Settings, Techniques and Rules All New Camera Owners Should Know

Thx man, that is just what I was looking for. I will have a good read over it tomorrow.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Here are some good examples of macro shots. My sister took these of these tiny frogs we found hiking. The pictures are a bit bigger/impressive normally, but, they got resized on upload of course.

jojobda

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Here are some good examples of macro shots. My sister took these of these tiny frogs we found hiking. The pictures are a bit bigger/impressive normally, but, they got resized on upload of course.

That's pretty neat. Looks like one of the little frogs we have here. Definitely about to do some experimenting with the cam.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Haha. I wish that shot had been taken in Bermuda. :p I don't know if those were babies or full grown, either way, they were tiny. Good luck with your pics!!

jojobda

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I took these ones before I knew what all the modes were. They were taken using the default camera settings of automatic.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Nice pics. Yea, I mean, generally auto is going to be good enough. I generally only take it off auto to put it on macro, and, only if I'm going to be shooting several close up shots.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That sunset is technically too backlit, but sometimes you get fantastic pictures by violating the rules. See what it looks like when you print it on decent photo paper at about 8X10. That's the kind of shot you hang on the wall in a nice frame.

Read about Ansel Adams if you want to see some technically wrong, but fantastic, photography. He was probably the world's greatest photographer, and lived by violating the rules.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
There really are no rules in photography, just guidelines. Even the "Rule of Thirds" isn't really a rule, just a suggestion.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It may say iPhone but chase jarvis is an awesome photographer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/03216...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1958356

Look around for his blog & other stuff online.

But just take pictures. Lots of them. I always learned to use the camera to frame & get the pic rather than relying on post processing. So try to practice a lot like that. Always save an original too. Then you can play around with effects afterwards.

jojobda

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
It may say iPhone but chase jarvis is an awesome photographer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/03216...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1961883

Look around for his blog & other stuff online.

But just take pictures. Lots of them. I always learned to use the camera to frame & get the pic rather than relying on post processing. So try to practice a lot like that. Always save an original too. Then you can play around with effects afterwards.

What do you meen to use it to frame, sorry just trying to understand that term.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
They are talking about the border of the picture you are taking. Use the camera to get exactly what you want out of the pic, instead of editing it later. That is what they were getting at, I think.

But, the best advice monkey gave was to take lots of pictures. That's definitely how I've found I've done the best. Especially with a camera phone, some pics just don't come out all that well. So, the more you take, the better chance you'll have of getting some great shots.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
They are talking about the border of the picture you are taking. Use the camera to get exactly what you want out of the pic, instead of editing it later. That is what they were getting at, I think.

But, the best advice monkey gave was to take lots of pictures. That's definitely how I've found I've done the best. Especially with a camera phone, some pics just don't come out all that well. So, the more you take, the better chance you'll have of getting some great shots.

Exactly. Don't rely on post to crop & edit. Edit the picture in frame as your shooting it. Don't just say I'll shoot a pic & crop it later, no, crop it as you're taking it.

jojobda

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I went out and about yesterday, using the pointers and tips from you guys and the articles posted. Took some cool pics. Including panoramic shots. My wife has been trying to get me on instagram but I don't like how you have to crop every shot to a square, automatic lame points. I did miss out on one shot, I was at the shaded end of a pier and there was this massive sea turtle about 4 feet away, the water was so glass clear, but all I got was my own reflection. Didn't know what to do about that one. People on my fb can't believe it's shots from a camera phone. My best friend tagged along with his nice nikon dslr, so we were taking a lot of the same shots that didn't require zoom so we can compare.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
That's great, sounds like you've got the hang of it.

That's a shame you missed the sea turtle, not really sure that could be helped. You may have had the same issue with a non-camera phone.

Yea, stay away from zoom. Shots never come out all that great when I use it. That's probably one of the biggest drawbacks of a camera phone as far as I'm concerned. I've missed plenty of shots because of that.

jojobda

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Last night there was an absolutely fantastic lightning storm. Any tips for fotographing that? I missed every single shot lol

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Last night there was an absolutely fantastic lightning storm. Any tips for fotographing that? I missed every single shot lol

Lightning is so fast and unpredictable. I'd suggest setting it to burst shot and keep taking pictures. Don't stop to look at them, just keep snapping at the sky. Afterward, you can look through them and see if any came out.

Reactions: jojobda

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa