Breaking character for me with SO-SO results

Which app do you use for navigation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried Waze years ago on the recommendation of a friend. My HTC at the time and Waze didn't play well together. So I fell back into GMaps and stayed there comfortably for years. Fast forward to recently when I saw a post here about navigation that peeked my interest. So I decided to branch out and try something old that was new to me again. Initially I was taken by how good the app looked. The animations were fun and different, all the different kinds of alerts and the number of users shown using the app, all plus plus plus it felt like. At first I was only using the app for alerts from home to work and back. Then I really started using the app. I expected a learning curve, as with anything new, but I started feeling like under all of the glam the app was lacking. Lacking some of the things I liked about GMaps.

The first thing I noticed was there was no obvious and clear route to the app settings. After the first few hours the My Waze button disappeared from the screen but without saying how to get back into the settings. Then searched venues didn't include pieces of the some times helpful information provided by Google, like reviews, hints and tips. There were also far fewer pics if any for some locations. Searches for places often turned up places hundreds of miles away but missed much closer places found on Google and Yelp. It doesn't seem possible to scroll over to the next city and do a general search in that area if what I was looking for didn't appear in my search or if that was my destination and I was trying to plan ahead. These are just some of the frustrations I've had with the app.

It wasn't all doom and gloom with this app though, on the plus side, it does often show parking locations, not always the most convenient places but places in the area. One big plus was that it shows roads that GMaps didn't offer. My job for one is in a shared building with two other companies each with their own access point along a nameless access road that GMaps would only show as me leaving the roadway. Waze actually showed it as a driving surface and even allowed me to mark our parking lot as work. This improved my ETA when navigating. Well after I got out of my area and on to the main roads. I'm also a big fan of the distance ahead of alerts with Waze vs. GM. It's night and day. If you're paying attention to GM and looking ahead on your route GM will show a symbol on the roadway but doesn't alert you until you were right on top of it. Sometimes past it.
Not good if it's a speed trap. Waze may not be spot on with the exact location but the amount of lead it gives you is helpful.
The ads while some times annoying, especially at stops, but seeing gas and food along my route has proven helpful. I don't have to stop or do anything just to see there's something ahead. Yeah I know I could use Assistant but Google still can't do, find a gas station along my route, or, add a stop along my route. Would be even more useful if you could plug in your favorites and have them displayed.

My most recent annoyance came yesterday when I selected Home and a message popped up saying something like, "Waze has learned your routes and has started offering you more personalized commutes." I thought great, no more annoying beep every time I don't go the prescribed route, I mean for work and home it's pretty much the exact same route every time. How do you think it went? Well it started off fine on the major portion of my route but as I approached my area it literally beep at every intersection for 8 blocks wanting me to turn down roads I would never take. Reminds me of GM when a road is closed and it keeps trying to put you on that road. Yeah I get it route 24 is the best road to take but guess what, it's under construction. There were so many other beeps along the way too but that was ridiculous and something it had never done before it got all personalized. It did the same thing today on my way to to work, like it was the first time. I'm not feeling the personalization yet.

Even though I always advise that one should read reviews on apps before installing them, I felt like I knew this app. Plus with so many of you talking about it and using it, I slacked. When I went back to read some reviews I found more than a few complaints about long routes. Some of those reviews got replies like, the app is taking factors into consideration when plotting a route, delays, congestion, hazards, and offering the driver the best route maybe not always the shortest but you can always choose one of the alternate routes. I'm calling Baseball Under Low Lights Sitting Home In Thought on that. It just feels like navigation needs to be improved. Obviously I haven't had a chance to try everything with the app but it is really toying with my emotions. Extreme highs and lows. The things I like about it, I really like, the things I dislike, I really dislike and there's not much middle ground.

Do you prefer one or the other. Or do you prefer something altogether different. What and why?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey Vid
At one point I did try Waze , but stuck to Google maps as it became better over time and I don't like loading the phone with multiple same apps , I'll choose one I like and keep that one .

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Was using both for a while. I really liked Waze having the real time notices by other users especially for speed traps. Maybe google maps has that now? , i haven't bothered using it in years at least not for Navi. I do use google maps to look up where a place is and check out the map

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Maps stepped up quite a bit over the years. That's probably why I never got the bug to try anything else. After trying Waze this time though I see the attraction to other apps. Just like with other apps I've tried and left there's always that one thing you wish you could take with you to the next app. In a way I'm hoping someone brings a new app to the table with something good to say about it so I can try something else.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I really liked Waze having the real time notices by other users especially for speed traps. Maybe google maps has that now?

Well it's weird about Maps because I know I was using the report police option several months before I heard the announcement that they were adding it to Maps. So I'm not sure if that was an update to it or maybe somehow I had been included in a trial but it more or less sucks in comparison to what Waze does. Waze gives you a lot more options like if something is in the road, on the median or shoulder so you get an idea at least where to look and it tells you a lot sooner. I was looking at it today and it's about a half mile notice where Maps is about 500 feet. You're literally on top of whatever it is by the time it actually notifies you and if that's a cop, well, it's too late then.

Waze keeps prompting me to report things via Assistant but when I tried it today Assistant didn't understand my request. So they could improve that by telling you what you need to say for it to work. So far as I can tell Maps doesn't do this or at least has never prompted me to try, which is weird because you'd think Google Maps and Google Assistant would naturally work together. Although I know you have to phrase things in a very specific way for Assistant to execute some commands. It's not NCC-1701 smart, yet.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting fact, Google bought Waze in 2013, yet the two apps, Maps and Waze, while sharing some similarities are vastly different apps. This makes me question even more why Waze is so bad at navigation and why Maps waits until you're touching the hazard to alert you???

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
When they bought it I figured they would condense it into one app.
I emailed Waze a couple times asking for a Commercial License plate setting, they never answered. I just couldn't believe neither app had this, maybe there is a law against it. Sucks getting lost and GPS keeps telling you to get on to a highway that doesn't allow commercial plates.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
When they bought it I figured they would condense it into one app.

After posting this I saw something that mentioned Google owning both so I went and looked it up. According to popular opinion the two were kept separate to serve two different communities and two different purposes. The Waze app is community driven and works on community input. This is to explain why places don't have reviews and why the app isn't as searchy as Maps. You can't find a good place to get your tires changed on Waze or find the top rated place to eat near you. Waze keeps it simple while Maps encompasses basically all the results of a web search. This was also given as the reason why Waze isn't as concise with directions as Maps. Where Maps just gives you the route Waze "takes into account" the driving conditions as reported by the community to get you where you want to go. Ironically Maps is supposed to incorporate these conditions reported by Waze users. So that speed trap displayed on your route may have come from a Waze user. I find this all a little hard to swallow because Waze also takes into account your direction of travel when marking things. It says there's a car on the shoulder or the median vs. Maps just saying there's a stalled vehicle which might be on the other side of the road or even in the road.

I emailed Waze a couple times asking for a Commercial License plate setting, they never answered. I just couldn't believe neither app had this, maybe there is a law against it. Sucks getting lost and GPS keeps telling you to get on to a highway that doesn't allow commercial plates.

Things like this is why I find both apps kind of lacking. During one trip I came across 10 miles of road closure and had to leave the highway but at every intersection Maps tried to put me back on that road. I hadn't had the app very long at that time and previously I had been using Verizon's Navigator. It allowed you to customize your route down to the road. So you could just exclude a road and even provide a reason if you wanted and it would reroute you to avoid it. Not being a commercial driver I can image the frustration of being directed to roads for which it is prohibited for you to drive on and then getting alerts and notifications trying to put on that road. Sounds crappy but I wonder if there is a commercial driver's navigation app out there that maybe doesn't have all of the in-town driving routes but caters more to commercial routes? But again if one could just exclude a road from the route it would solve this issue in one change.