Where does Android store Google Play music files

tommy6206yah

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought an album using Google Play and can play it successfully. But I checked the Keep On Device option which I assume downloads it to the device? If this is true, where is it stored on my phone?

tommy6206yah

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but not there. :( Apparently i'm doing something wrong so let me approach this from the beginning. (I assumed I hit all the right options to download locally but apparently not).

When I purchase an album from Google Play, how do I download the music locally?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After you've purchased the album, go to Google Play Music on your phone and find the album. Tap on the diagonally pointing arrowhead to the right of the album name to bring up the options for that album. Tap on the checkbox for "Keep on device." That should download the album to your phone. I've never tried this myself, but technically, this should work.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In other words do you need to have an SD card in order to store it on your phone? And what does Music player do? Does it just play music or can you store on it as well?
Thanks for any explanation.... :)

Eddie Cooper

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I can play my newly purchased Black Country Communion album without a network connection to my tablet but I can't find the files anywhere. Also the music doesn't show in any other music player. Won't be returning to Google Play Music to buy if I can't listen to the music on the app of my choice! :-(

Nothing in the folders mentioned so far.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I just tried it with an SD card and still nothing is showing, nothing in Music play or other folders either...

Eddie Cooper

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you go to the Google Play Music site on a browser & navigate to the album you bought, you can select to download the album as a zip of MP3 files, or each individual song. Strange this isn't offered within the app itself. Seems Google may be discouraging us from using alternative music players?

Suzanne Whistance

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi - I had the same problem, and the issue was that I hadn't set the phone settings to sync. On Samsung S3 main home page drag down settings for wifi/gps/screen rotation etc and make sure sync setting is on - my purchases all then appeared with confirmation emails from gmail and showed on Google play (headphone icon) hope this helps! x

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
the folder where they are as described above has a ".nomedia" file in it so the music players won't obviously find the music. nice. i pay for music i can't even use on my player of choice. that's alright i do my playlist work on itunes and sync with iSyncr anyways. googles system is hard to do playlists with and can't import them to the cloud so what the heck?

grobier

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I went to the site through browser and found my music but how do I initiate the download on a tablet? Thank you for the response.

danx55

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
hi all,
thanks for the info - i was stuck with this too - finally tracked it down,But
it has just stuck all the tracks of the 2 albums together, just with track numbers!! :(
they are in internal sd/data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music on my s3

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo