Old phone with no cellular service

learning2

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be trading in my VM Optimus V soon for something better. What are some good uses for an old phone? I figure my kids might like to play games or listen to music with it. What should I do to configure it before passing it on? Will it be able to load apps after it's not connected to a service? I can put music on it by connecting it with the USB cable and copying manually, right? The phone is rooted, currently running gingerbread.

Thanks for tips.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be trading in my VM Optimus V soon for something better. What are some good uses for an old phone? I figure my kids might like to play games or listen to music with it. What should I do to configure it before passing it on? Will it be able to load apps after it's not connected to a service? I can put music on it by connecting it with the USB cable and copying manually, right? The phone is rooted, currently running gingerbread.

Thanks for tips.
you can install apps without the service but you should have google account added.

games, music player. yes you can copy music via USB

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've let my kids have our old Optimus S to play with. Just wipe what you don't want them to have and load what you do want them to be able to use. If you have wifi access, you can still keep the phone active on your google account and access play (and internet in general) without a cell plan.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
remember, you can also use it to access your Google account. If you like, you may set passwords to access certain apps, including Gmail, for access just in case you need quick access and the old phone is within arms reach.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
If I had an old phone I'd probably leave it in the kitchen for recipes/cooking. I'm always worried I'm going to get something on it while cooking, and, my hands aren't as clean as I'd like them to be for touching my phone. If it were a newer phone, I would just print a recipe, lol.

If I had kids, I'd probably leave it in the car for kids to mess with.