I need to upgrade, but I'm early.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Nexus user on Verizon and the battery life has gotten on my last nerves. I'm rooted and have tried all the kernel combos but nothing works. So my question is this. Has anyone had luck calling Verizon and getting them to authorize an early upgrade? I have 4 lines and a tablet on my account and have been with them since 1992 when they were Bell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked into online retailers like AmazonWireless.com or Wirefly? You can often get good deals without having to wait, as long as you're ok with a new 2 year contract and being on a Share Everything plan.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm already on a share everything plan. I haven't checked out Amazon or Wirefly. I was hoping to go through Verizon.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any reason to go directly through Verizon? The phones you get on AmazonWireless are the same (although some of the very newest ones might not be available online), they're easy to activate when you receive them in the mail, and they're usually somewhat cheaper. Plus, you might not have to pay sales tax. I got my Razr Maxx through AmazonWireless last year, and it was extremely painless. I kept my same plan, including insurance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure you can--it just resets your 2 year contract. But you don't have to wait the customary 2 full years or 18 months or whatever it is before you can get the best deal (although you might want to call Verizon to see if they charge any early upgrade fees separately). Give it a go, and pick a phone, enter your info, see how much it costs. You won't commit until you hit the Buy button.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh crap, you're right. I went a little further in the buying process to check, and it asked for my cell number to check eligibility. Sorry to give you bad info to begin with! But when you do become eligible for an upgrade, I would still recommend trying these online retailers.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm going through this as well. If you call them and a lot they might give in and let you upgrade early. My fiance did that one time. Your choice of phones may not be that great though.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the info and checking it out for me. I appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87