"Error While Searching for Networks" when scanning for Network Extenders

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So I haven't been able to find a way to select 4G or 5G on my phone. As per above, Samsung updates have removed the functionality of the Samsung Band app, and getting access would require a more 'invasive' approach which I'm not yet willing to pursue.

This doesn't definitely *prove* that the connection problem with the extender originates in 4G vs 5G connectivity, but I have found that whenever my phone, or my wife's Samsung A53, are connected to the extender, the phone shows "4G" next to the bars icon, and it shows "5G" whenever it's not. This is certainly consistent with that theory.

Interesting, but here's the problem: assuming Xfinity Mobile has no better signal in my home than Verizon or T-Mobile, then I would still need a network extender of some type. I'm assuming Xfinity doesn't have one, though I haven't looked into it, but if they don't, then I'm still going to have reception problems.
Right. And I forgot to check if Xfi does or not.

Though that's why I was wondering if it'd be possible to have several different companys' Tech's come out to your place, to do a signal analysis. Aside from Verizon, if they'd do that at no charge to you, being a potential new customer. And if possible, I'd try to set the appt's – so that they're all (or a few) there at the same time!

Reactions: DLCPhototography

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Right. And I forgot to check if Xfi does or not.

Though that's why I was wondering if it'd be possible to have several different companys' Tech's come out to your place, to do a signal analysis. Aside from Verizon, if they'd do that at no charge to you, being a potential new customer. And if possible, I'd try to set the appt's – so that they're all (or a few) there at the same time!
I was looking into having my Alarm system use a cell signal vs my landline, and had the company over to check into that. They could have used any carrier, I believe, and didn't have enough of a signal with any of them. So I just stayed with it using my landline.

And I actually just recently renegotiated my account with Verizon, and am much more satisfied than I was before, with reasonable cost. So I'm really not inclined to switch carriers at this point.

The main concern is the occasional dropped or missed calls, wanting to eliminate them. This doesn't happen often, fortunately, and the last week or so has been fine. But if I can somehow find a way to consistently connect to the extender, I would think these problems would be further reduced if not eliminated.

I'll push Verizon/Samsung to see if there is a legitimate way to force 4G only, at least as an experiment. If I can then stay connected to the extender without problem, then that's obviously the answer.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There is indeed a 5G extender. As I mentioned in my earlier post, two of my neighbors have 5G extenders. I know, because my phone is constantly connected to one of them while I'm at home.
Interesting. I wonder if that is a network extender, which generates its own signal, or the other approach where someone puts up an external antenna, and then amplifies the signal originating in an external cell tower. Will look into this.

Reactions: winmod21

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So I've done some searching, and there is no Verizon 5G femto-cell type of network extender. These are 4G only. There are 5G devices which use an external antenna to pick up a 5G signal from a local cell tower, and then amplifies this within the home (and adjacent area). As best I can determine, that is probably what @leerandall is connecting to.

There are devices called "5G Extenders" but these are actually WiFi extender devices, for homes with a solid 5G signal, to provide WiFi access to the 5G signal.

Lastly, there is a similar thread here. The experiences there seem to support my working theory on what's going on here:

When I'm at home, there is enough of a 5G signal, even though it's weak, that the phone's OS prioritizes connecting to a weaker 5G signal over a stronger 4G signal, and so it usually doesn't connect to the 4G network extender. Randomly the 5G signal in my home drops low enough that it then connects to the 4G network extender. But when the 5G signal randomly increases in strength, because it prefers it, it then connects to 5G, dropping the network extender connection.

If that is correct, then I would further suspect that the dropped calls I experience at times might occur when the phone switches between the local 5G cell signal and the 4G network signal, as the 5G signal fluctuates in strength. And perhaps the missed calls might also occur because of the switching that randomly occurs.

The solution would be forcing the phone to a 4G status only when at home, but in their infinite wisdom, Samsung and Verizon seem to be making this impossible...

Last edited:

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So I've done some searching, and there is no Verizon 5G femto-cell type of network extender. These are 4G only. There are 5G devices which use an external antenna to pick up a 5G signal from a local cell tower, and then amplifies this within the home (and adjacent area). As best I can determine, that is probably what @leerandall is connecting to.

There are devices called "5G Extenders" but these are actually WiFi extender devices, for homes with a solid 5G signal, to provide WiFi access to the 5G signal.

Lastly, there is a similar thread here. The experiences there seem to support my working theory on what's going on here:

When I'm at home, there is enough of a 5G signal, even though it's weak, that the phone's OS prioritizes connecting to a weaker 5G signal over a stronger 4G signal, and so it usually doesn't connect to the 4G network extender. Randomly the 5G signal in my home drops low enough that it then connects to the 4G network extender. But when the 5G signal randomly increases in strength, it then because it prefers it, and then connects to 5G, dropping the network extender connection.

If that is correct, then I would further suspect that the dropped calls I experience at times might occur when the phone switches between the local 5G cell signal and the 4G network signal, as the 5G signal fluctuates in strength. And perhaps the missed calls might also occur because of the switching that randomly occurs.

The solution would be forcing the phone to a 4G status only when at home, but in their infinite wisdom, Samsung and Verizon seem to be making this impossible...

So why not just connect to WiFi and use WiFi Calling? I'm in a similar situation on AT&T. My house is in a bit of a dead zone (bottom of a hill, surrounded by trees, gets worse in the spring/summer when the leaves are on the trees) for cell signal so WiFi Calling is a must for me. We've got FiOS Gigabit internet, so I'm just on WiFi most of the time with WiFi Calling enabled. The S24U does pull usable signal for me, it's actually pretty good in certain spots of the house - it's night and day better than my previous two phones, Pixel 6 Pro and 7 Pro.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So why not just connect to WiFi and use WiFi Calling? I'm in a similar situation on AT&T. My house is in a bit of a dead zone (bottom of a hill, surrounded by trees, gets worse in the spring/summer when the leaves are on the trees) for cell signal so WiFi Calling is a must for me. We've got FiOS Gigabit internet, so I'm just on WiFi most of the time with WiFi Calling enabled. The S24U does pull usable signal for me, it's actually pretty good in certain spots of the house - it's night and day better than my previous two phones, Pixel 6 Pro and 7 Pro.
That would seem to be a viable option, and I have done this in the past. My Spectrum is pretty solid at 300 down and 10 up, and it rarely goes down. But I still experienced the periodic dropped or missed calls, even when on WiFi calling. There is a setting there where you can indicate that you prefer WiFi over Cellular signal, but it seems that there may still be some unpredictability and switching going on.

Have you experienced dropped or missed call when on WiFi calling, or has it been rock solid for you?

In terms of basic call quality, the S24U is dramatically better than my prior S21U - I have no idea why. And I was hoping to completely get rid of the dropped or missed calls, but while they have been less frequent, they're not gone. I'm trying to figure out a way to eliminate them completely.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
That would seem to be a viable option, and I have done this in the past. My Spectrum is pretty solid at 300 down and 10 up, and it rarely goes down. But I still experienced the periodic dropped or missed calls, even when on WiFi calling. There is a setting there where you can indicate that you prefer WiFi over Cellular signal, but it seems that there may still be some unpredictability and switching going on.

Have you experienced dropped or missed call when on WiFi calling, or has it been rock solid for you?

In terms of basic call quality, the S24U is dramatically better than my prior S21U - I have no idea why. And I was hoping to completely get rid of the dropped or missed calls, but while they have been less frequent, they're not gone. I'm trying to figure out a way to eliminate them completely.

WiFi calling has been solid for me. It's not like the cell network is perfect and calls never get dropped. :)
We had a whole-house generator put in a few years ago - having WiFi during power outages is a treat.

The S24U has the best connectivity of any phone I've had (in the smartphone era - the old Motorola phones were tops in terms of RF reception). I think they've made strides in antenna placement and the Qualcomm X75 modem is as good as it gets right now, and puts the Pixels to shame.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

I just went to this guy's house (he wasn't home), and there is no external antenna on or near his house. I suppose he may have put the antenna in his attic, though.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I just went to this guy's house (he wasn't home), and there is no external antenna on or near his house. I suppose he may have put the antenna in his attic, though.
I think that's what some do. If somehow he does have a 5G network extender, I'd love to learn what model it is, where he got it, etc., as I can't find any reference to it (other than one site showing it as a future product, and which wasn't actually Verizon branded).

Thanks for checking on this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter