"Error While Searching for Networks" when scanning for Network Extenders

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a brand new S24 Ultra, Verizon, using an upgrade from S21 Ultra directly through Samsung. I am using eSIM, with no physical SIM card.

My home has always had a very poor Verizon signal, and I have relied on their Network Extender for many years. When I got the S24 Ultra, I found the same thing as I had in the past: sporadic connection to the network extender (even though I'm normally within 10-15 feet of it). And I often have to go into and out of Airplane Mode for it to connect.

If I go to Settings...Mobile Networks...there is an option to search for Network Extenders. Whenever I do this, I *instantly* get "Error While Searching for Networks". Further, even if I am actively connected to the Network Extender (the little 'house' symbol is there, with 5 bars, and dialing #48 confirms my being connected to the extender), it still instantly shows the same message.

I have reset Mobile Networks multiple times. I have had Verizon replace the 4G Network Extender with a brand new one. The Extender has no problem connecting via ethernet and GPS, so that's not the problem.

One question is whether or not I need a physical SIM card in addition to having the Verizon eSIM working. Call quality is generally great, much better than my S21 Ultra, but I still have occasional dropped calls, or calls that go straight to VoiceMail, which could be related to whatever is underlying this network connection error. This occurs even when I'm connected to the Extender, 5 bars, with excellent WiFi signal.

Any information or insight on what might be going oon here would be appreciated.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Anybody with any ideas on this? It seems odd to have connection issues with such a high-end Samsung phone, with what seems to be a fairly straightforward situation.

Oh, and I had done an online chat with Samsung 'support' which was completely useless. The person seemed like a teenager following a script of questions, with no personal experience or knowledge whatsoever.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Does this network extender work off your home Internet? If so reboot your router see what happens
Thanks for the reply.

It does. Ethernet connection direct to the Router. I have rebooted the Router as part of the troubleshooting. I have Spectrum 300 down/10 up, which is quite reliable. I stream 4k/HDR movies all the time with no glitches.

The error message from the phone seems to be the key to figuring out what's going on here - it comes instantly as soon as that menu is accessed. It would be one thing if it was searching for a while and couldn't find it. But here, it seems it never even tries.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

It does. Ethernet connection direct to the Router. I have rebooted the Router as part of the troubleshooting. I have Spectrum 300 down/10 up, which is quite reliable. I stream 4k/HDR movies all the time with no glitches.

The error message from the phone seems to be the key to figuring out what's going on here - it comes instantly as soon as that menu is accessed. It would be one thing if it was searching for a while and couldn't find it. But here, it seems it never even tries.
So you rebooted the extender and router also tried the network reset on the phone, I'm sure you already rebooted the phone?
Under mobile data APN when u tap can you reset to default?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So you rebooted the extender and router also tried the network reset on the phone, I'm sure you already rebooted the phone?
Under mobile data APN when u tap can you reset to default?
Correct on all points - all hardware rebooted, mobile network reset. Under Mobile APN's, Verizon Internet (VZWINTERNET) is the only option there, it is selected, and the Reset option is greyed out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Correct on all points - all hardware rebooted, mobile network reset. Under Mobile APN's, Verizon Internet (VZWINTERNET) is the only option there, it is selected, and the Reset option is greyed out.
Dam Verizon lol
Maybe try to get Samsung to remotely access your phone in settings at the bottom I think it's called smart tutor so they can see what your seeing and maybe help further

Reactions: winmod21

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Dam Verizon lol
Maybe try to get Samsung to remotely access your phone in settings at the bottom I think it's called smart tutor so they can see what your seeing and maybe help further
This is the type of problem where Samsung will say it's Verizon's issue, and Verizon will say it's Samsung's.

I don't (and don't recall in the past) see anything like what you're describing (which sounds like a 'TeamViewer' type of thing. If you remember exactly what or where this is, let me know.

I guess I can try Samsung support over the phone, since the chat was worthless.

Any other ideas, from you or anyone else, are welcome. Thanks for your replies.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is the type of problem where Samsung will say it's Verizon's issue, and Verizon will say it's Samsung's.

I don't (and don't recall in the past) see anything like what you're describing (which sounds like a 'TeamViewer' type of thing. If you remember exactly what or where this is, let me know.

I guess I can try Samsung support over the phone, since the chat was worthless.

Any other ideas, from you or anyone else, are welcome. Thanks for your replies.
Im not crazy about chat support as they make you try generic things , the remote access is like team viewer and probably have sharper people to troubleshoot.
If you go on the device under settings at the bottom I think before about phone should be like I mentioned about remote access help at least it was on my unlocked s24u but I've deleted those from my device and like Cleaner look and less things on my phone.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Im not crazy about chat support as they make you try generic things , the remote access is like team viewer and probably have sharper people to troubleshoot.
If you go on the device under settings at the bottom I think before about phone should be like I mentioned about remote access help at least it was on my unlocked s24u but I've deleted those from my device and like Cleaner look and less things on my phone.
Understood. And yeah, there's nothing like that on my Samsung/Verizon version of this phone. A search in the Settings menu for 'remote' 'smart' or 'tutor' doesn't bring up anything relevant.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Understood. And yeah, there's nothing like that on my Samsung/Verizon version of this phone. A search in the Settings menu for 'remote' 'smart' or 'tutor' doesn't bring up anything relevant.
On my S23+ w\Xfinity Mobile, it's called 'Remote support' and like @mustang7757 directed, it's in: Settings > 'Tips and user manual' (right abv About phone) ... when you scroll to the bottom.

I was going to suggest you ask Verizon for a new router & extender, (which we did w\AT&T at no $ cost—due to our $9/mo. AT&T protection charge each month—after we suspected our router was malfunctioning, and of which completely solved our poor signal issues), but it sounds like everything else in your home is working good for you.
So hmmm. 🤔

★ Btw, now w\ Xfinity Mobile, our Xfi router is so powerful... we haven't needed to add an extender, like we did with AT&T. Though sounds like not the issue, you might ✔️ to see if you have router options w\ Verizon.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
On my S23+ w\Xfinity Mobile, it's called 'Remote support' and like @mustang7757 directed, it's in: Settings > 'Tips and user manual' (right abv About phone) ... when you scroll to the bottom.

I was going to suggest you ask Verizon for a new router & extender, (which we did w\AT&T at no $ cost—due to our $9/mo. AT&T protection charge each month—after we suspected our router was malfunctioning, and of which completely solved our poor signal issues), but it sounds like everything else in your home is working good for you.
So hmmm.

★ Btw, now w\ Xfinity Mobile, our Xfi router is so powerful... we haven't needed to add an extender, like we did with AT&T. Though sounds like not the issue, you might to see if you have router options w\ Verizon.
I hope Verizon hasn't removed that in settings:(

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's under tips like mentioned
bfbe214d89e0f9c138c989a6b3c16d95.jpg

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

So hmmm. 🤔

★ Btw, now w\ Xfinity Mobile, our Xfi router is so powerful... we haven't needed to add an extender, like we did with AT&T. Though sounds like not the issue, you might ✔️ to see if you have router options w\ Verizon.
I actually did get Verizon to send me a brand new Network Extender, at no cost.

I have Control4 in my home, which relies on an Araknis Router, Switches, etc., so this should be a level above any ISP provided device.

And I am still not seeing any Remote support option.2024-03-12 12.29.36.jpg

I've looked through each of those items, and it doesn't show up. But I may still be somehow overlooking it, so let me know if I am.

I guess one request could be helpful:

Any Verizon S24 Ultra owners here - what happens if you tap on the Network Extenders line in the Mobile Networks settings?

On mine the "Error searching for networks" immediately comes up, as well as when I would then tap Scan. What happens on yours?? It shouldn't matter if you do or don't have a network extender present (I would think anyway).

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok I think I found another way , go to Samsung members app at the bottom support remote management?
That worked. I didn't have the Samsung members app installed, but went ahead and got it, found what you are referring to, which led to the Smart Tutor for Samsung Galaxy. I'll play around with that later today. So thanks for that!

I'm still very interested to hear what happens when other S24 Ultra owners see when they tap on the 'Network Extenders' line in Mobile networks settings. Preferably Verizon, since that's what I'm on, but would be curious about what happens with other providers.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I actually did get Verizon to send me a brand new Network Extender, at no cost.

I have Control4 in my home, which relies on an Araknis Router, Switches, etc., so this should be a level above any ISP provided device.

And I am still not seeing any Remote support option.View attachment 360836

I've looked through each of those items, and it doesn't show up. But I may still be somehow overlooking it, so let me know if I am.

I guess one request could be helpful:

Any Verizon S24 Ultra owners here - what happens if you tap on the Network Extenders line in the Mobile Networks settings?

On mine the "Error searching for networks" immediately comes up, as well as when I would then tap Scan. What happens on yours?? It shouldn't matter if you do or don't have a network extender present (I would think anyway).
Yeah, yours is missing the 'Remote support' under 'Digital lifestyle' & 'User guide/manual':

Screenshot_20240312_125220_Tips.jpg

. . and for what it's worth, which I guess is nothing, under my S23+ (as well as my wifes' S23U) Xfi Settings > Connections > Mobile networks ... I don't have a 'Network extenders' line/choice.

Screenshot_20240312_125406_Call settings.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DLCPhototography

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
That worked. I didn't have the Samsung members app installed, but went ahead and got it, found what you are referring to, which led to the Smart Tutor for Samsung Galaxy. I'll play around with that later today. So thanks for that!

I'm still very interested to hear what happens when other S24 Ultra owners see when they tap on the 'Network Extenders' line in Mobile networks settings. Preferably Verizon, since that's what I'm on, but would be curious about what happens with other providers.

On my Verizon S24U, under Network Extenders, the screen is blank with the word "Scan" in the upper right of the screen. As soon as I touch Scan, I get "Error while searching for networks".

Reactions: DLCPhototography

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
On my Verizon S24U, under Network Extenders, the screen is blank with the word "Scan" in the upper right of the screen. As soon as I touch Scan, I get "Error while searching for networks".
Very interesting. Exactly what I'm seeing. And I'm guessing that as soon as you tab the line to go to that window, you'll see the same thing appear on the bottom, for just a split second or so, so easy to overlook.

So at least it's not just some peculiarity of my particular phone. Thanks for posting.