Is S3 still a good buy?

Lexer

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Samsung S3 LTE do have a nice price now when S4 is out.

The question is if this thone is a good buy even If Im aiming on having it for 2-3 years? I have seen that the last update will be Android 5.0? Is this okay or will I get a lot of problems down the road? There is apparently problems with roms to the S3 becouse Samsung is not releasing there code there will probably not be any stable custom rom?

BestRegards

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you on contract? If so, I would by the newest device possible.

The cheaper on contract price is an illusion, what is 100$ more for a phone if your gonna be paying in the thousands over the course a two year agreement.

**EDIT**

The ROMs on the S3 are amazing, I owned my s3 for a little under a year, and the stability of the ROMs available never ceased to amaze me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Samsung S3 LTE do have a nice price now when S4 is out.

The question is if this thone is a good buy even If Im aiming on having it for 2-3 years? I have seen that the last update will be Android 5.0? Is this okay or will I get a lot of problems down the road? There is apparently problems with roms to the S3 becouse Samsung is not releasing there code there will probably not be any stable custom rom?

BestRegards

I think that is going to depend on how much you care about android updates. 5.0 is possible to come to the S3, from what I know, that is still unconfirmed. It will be a solid device for at least the next year or so. I would suggest to get the largest internal hard drive possible. Application files are only going to get bigger. Get a large Sd card. Put your media files on that.
Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Lexer

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
This phone will not be bought on any contract.

I see that even the S2 is still going strong here in Sweden so maybe S3 is a good deal. But the update could be a problem.

I have read about the roms that exists right now and there is not one that works perfect because Samsung is nor releasing there code. Nexus 4 will have more updates but its according to me not as good as the S3 on some key features.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I love my current S3 and note 2. No issues with the devices with no desire to move on to another device till maybe next year. I say you go for it. Check out ebay, android central market place, or even craigslist (be careful for clean imei) for some good prices but as I said be sure to make sure imei is clean if your company does imei checks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, it really depends on what you are going to be using the device for and how much you care about having the latest mobile tech. The S3 will be great for another two-years. Even if it does not get official support for future Android upgrades the developer support will carry on as long as possible and update the S3 (through rooting and installing custom ROMs) for as long as they can. If you like the device and it's within your budget, go for it. New phones are always being announced and staying up to date with the latest can be expensive...

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My only question about the longevity of the S3 is the amount of RAM it has. I'm not sure if all versions have 2GB of RAM. If anything I think that will be the bottleneck in phone performance over the next couple of years.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
My only question about the longevity of the S3 is the amount of RAM it has. I'm not sure if all versions have 2GB of RAM. If anything I think that will be the bottleneck in phone performance over the next couple of years.

I think the European models have 1GB of ram but they have the exynos processor. The USA version has 2GBs of ram but no exynos processor (Still works amazing). You could always buy one or if you know someone trust in the USA have them buy one for you to ship to you.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

What do you plan on doing with the phone in terms of daily use?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Lexer

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The version im getting is the LTE(4G) and that version is the only version in Sweden that got 2 GB ram, the regular just got 1 GB and this appears to be a big problem to many. The LTE is about 22 EUR more expensive then the none LTE right now in Sweden so its not really a brainer.

I will use the device for this (in order) : Phone, SMS, Email, Calender, GPS Navigation, Photos, Some other services like IMDB, and a small portion of games.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The version im getting is the LTE(4G) and that version is the only version in Sweden that got 2 GB ram, the regular just got 1 GB and this appears to be a big problem to many. The LTE is about 22 EUR more expensive then the none LTE right now in Sweden so its not really a brainer.

I will use the device for this (in order) : Phone, SMS, Email, Calender, GPS Navigation, Photos, Some other services like IMDB, and a small portion of games.

For what you say the phone will be used for doesn't appear to be an issue to me. If people are having issues it's due to heavy use and probably slowing if Touchwiz because of that. Remember to clean out the phone regularly and you should be OK.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XCman