Buy now, wait for 7A or wait for Pixel 8

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Pixel 3 that's in excellent physical shape and operates just fine. My concern is that I'm I'm no longer getting android upgrades, not getting feature upgrades and not getting security patches because my phones no longer supported. My main concern with a cell phone is one that's trouble free, has a battery that will hold up throughout the day and is supported.

If I upgrade today with an unlocked Pixel 7 Google will give me $150 on a trade in of my Pixel 3. Part of me says pull the trigger while part of me questions whether any problems with the Pixel 7 will be resolved by waiting for the 7A or the 8. If I wait the price might be higher and/or the trade-in value less so I'm looking for some opinions from existing Pixel 7 owners.

So, is the Pixel 7 stable and reasonably problem free or are there sufficient concerns that would cause me to hold off?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I never paid attention to the A series so I can't tell you but if you wait for the 8, wouldn't the trade in offer drop and you'll be in the same situation with the 7.

As I said, so far so good with the 7 Pro. I haven't really read any problems.

Sent from my SM-F721W using AC Forums mobile app

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
My Pixel 7 Pro has been flawless. My girlfriend has the 6A and that phone has been great as well. It has a smaller form factor that some prefer but has a 60hz display that's noticeably choppier. You're seven months away from the release of the 8. I recommend getting the 7 or the 7 Pro now.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I currently have a Pixel 3 that's in excellent physical shape and operates just fine. My concern is that I'm I'm no longer getting android upgrades, not getting feature upgrades and not getting security patches because my phones no longer supported. My main concern with a cell phone is one that's trouble free, has a battery that will hold up throughout the day and is supported.

If I upgrade today with an unlocked Pixel 7 Google will give me $150 on a trade in of my Pixel 3. Part of me says pull the trigger while part of me questions whether any problems with the Pixel 7 will be resolved by waiting for the 7A or the 8. If I wait the price might be higher and/or the trade-in value less so I'm looking for some opinions from existing Pixel 7 owners.

So, is the Pixel 7 stable and reasonably problem free or are there sufficient concerns that would cause me to hold off?
First of all, I'm surprised your P3 is still working well for you. I really liked mine, but the battery life was horrendous. I managed to live with it for 2 years (only because I couldn't stand the P4 series) until I got a P5, which I really like. I'm also considering the 7a or 8 line, since P5 OS support will end later this year.

I had a P7 for a couple days, but returned it. It is a good phone, but I did not like the size and weight. I want something similar to my P5. Even considering the Samsung S23, but it's too expensive ATM. I'm not opposed to the Pixel A series, as long as there aren't too many spec compromises from the "regular" series. The S23 seems to check most of those boxes.

When I finally pull the trigger on one of these, I'll likely wait a few months after launch when the prices go down, like what's happening with the P7 now.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The age-old question! We've all been there! My husband just picked up the Google Pixel 7 Pro and is very happy with his purchase. I'll be buying the smaller Pixel 7 in a little while. If you trade in your Pixel 3, I think that would be a good way to get into the newer Pixel era.

As another user above stated, you'll get less trade-in value if you wait for the 7a/8. Also, the 8 will likely come out in Fall 2023, so you'd have a while to wait. If anything happened to your Pixel 3 within that time, that may force an early upgrade.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Reactions: SultanJazz

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I just retired my Pixel 3 and went to a 7 about two weeks ago. I'll give you my perspective. I thought my Pixel 3 was running great too, but when I got my Pixel 7 I realized just how old it was. Also the lack of security updates worried me.

I say don't wait. The 3 was probably the best phone I've had, but so far I'm loving the 7 and don't miss the 3 at all.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Buy the 7 or wait for the 7a if you want to save some money and don't care about the compromises like no wireless charging.

The pixel 7 seems fairly solid, although I don't own one. The Pixel 6, which I do own, was kind of a trash fire... Google don't particularly seem to care about their products or their customers, and do not take QA seriously. So in waiting for the 8 you could well be waiting for a lemon.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
My13 month old Pixel6 disagrees.
Your lemon is not everyone's experience.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My13 month old Pixel6 disagrees.
Your lemon is not everyone's experience.

Just like your good experience isn't everyones experience.

Yeah, there were plenty of people whose Pixel 6s were fine... there were also a lot of people who had a lot of hardware and software issues. And the issues weren't the worst part, Googles response was. Taking 2 months to patch device breaking issues wasn't good.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
True, but I think the unsatisfied were more vocal than the satisfied. Mine has been rock solid except when I briefly went the beta route.

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I get it lemons happen, I just expected more from Google's customer service.

I was told to do and RMA on my P6P and they refused and told me to wait for an update.

As I said what a difference a year makes. Ill be honest, I was done with Google but my carrier had an amazing deal with the P7P that I couldn't resist...being an addict. LOL

Today, I own two Pros and 7 coming Monday.

Sent from my SM-F721W using AC Forums mobile app

Worshipper

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Here's an argument to wait for the pixel 9. Reportedly the major carriers have finally realized how much they messed up with 5g and how crappy it has been for just about every user. Next year they're about to roll out a new version of 5g (I believe it will be called 5g advanced but I'm not sure) that will be significantly better than what we use now. The next snapdragon modem that's coming out this fall will be able to take full advantage of the new 5g technology. Many of the newer premium phones coming out this fall and early next year will be using the newer snapdragon modem, all except the next pixel. Google is supposedly going with the same samsung exynos modem in the pixel 8 that was in the pixel 7 and neither phone will be able to take advantage of the newer 5g tech next year when it starts rolling out.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
You actually need that much download speed, or is it just about bragging rights?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
True, but I think the unsatisfied were more vocal than the satisfied. Mine has been rock solid except when I briefly went the beta route.

I feel like when it comes to voicing feedback and reviews online, you're going to get more negative evaluations than positive. That inevitably skews user feedback and may discourage buyers.

Tensor is great but I do think Google is going to get things better with Tensor 2 and beyond. There will always be kinks in the new system.

BTSyndrome

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Traded in my Pixel3 awhile ago for a 7. I have been using the 7 since I got it, the phone it's self has worked good but....
-for someone who does manual labor type work (rough dry hands), the in-screen FP reader is complete crap.
-the face unlock is mostly good except I drive & deliver all day (normally with sunglasses on) so face unlock wont work.
-and I'm still annoyed by the size of the phone, enough so, that this week I went back to using my Pixel5.

I like everything about the 5 (back FP reader ++ & Size of the phone ++++) but it reminded me how crappy the speakers are. (lack of high volume and a tinny sound.)

What I want is the Pixel 8 to be a smaller phone, it doesn't have to be 5 size, just shorter then the 7.
:End Rant: lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Traded in my Pixel3 awhile ago for a 7. I have been using the 7 since I got it, the phone it's self has worked good but....
-for someone who does manual labor type work (rough dry hands), the in-screen FP reader is complete crap.
-the face unlock is mostly good except I drive & deliver all day (normally with sunglasses on) so face unlock wont work.
-and I'm still annoyed by the size of the phone, enough so, that this week I went back to using my Pixel5.

I like everything about the 5 (back FP reader ++ & Size of the phone ++++) but it reminded me how crappy the speakers are. (lack of high volume and a tinny sound.)

What I want is the Pixel 8 to be a smaller phone, it doesn't have to be 5 size, just shorter then the 7.
:End Rant: lol

The size of the Pixel 5 is really handy, literally! I loved how easy it was to use mine. I can totally see your point.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes to both the above. I definitely want a similarly sized phone, so I'm hoping the 7a or 8 fits. Need wireless charging also and I would like a rear FPS, but the FPS is not a deal breaker. Even considering the Samsung S23, but need the price to come down some. That would be my first non Google/Nexus phone in 10+ years.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes to both the above. I definitely want a similarly sized phone, so I'm hoping the 7a or 8 fits. Need wireless charging also and I would like a rear FPS, but the FPS is not a deal breaker. Even considering the Samsung S23, but need the price to come down some. That would be my first non Google/Nexus phone in 10+ years.

I agree with you. The S23 line is horrifically expensive.