SMS/Texting from your computer

EoN604

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to find out if there's an app or software that I can use to send SMS's through my phone using my computer. The requirements I'm after, if possible are:
1. Don't want all my SMS's synchronised through Google or some third party website or service. if possible a solution just involving my phone and computer would be ideal
2. Lightweight/simple. I don't need all the extra features, just after SMS'ing

Searching on the app store shows up a fair few results of computer/sms solutions but most of them seem to be quite bulky or sync through google or third party services etc, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Cheers! :)

EoN604

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Synchronising/connecting directly between phone & computer? Without having to pass personal SMS data off to some third party?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure that there is a solution for this. Every app that I found requires some sort of gmail or third-party access. Is there a reason why you don't want to use any of these soutions? Privacy?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Do they have to be through your phone? You can send SMS's fine through email (but they wouldn't be coming through your phone). But I guess email would be "3rd party service" which you seem concerned about for some reason that I don't comprehend.

I am so confused by this request since SMS is such a basic feature that I can't figure out why you want to make it complicated. You do know SMS doesn't even go through Google or anything, right? It's delivered right over your carrier's airwaves? It doesn't even use data or anything (MMS is another story, but AFAIK it still doesn't go through any company's server).

EoN604

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes the reason I don't want all of my SMS's to be uploaded to Google or some other website I don't know is privacy! I'm not sure how anyone could not be concerned with this. But it seems to me that a lot of Android/Google users seem to not give privacy much concern at all. After all I guess they already have EVERYTHING else. (Email, calendars, correspondence, chats, locations, work schedules, etc etc) Why not upload ALL OF YOUR SMS's too?

I'm not after a 'complicated' solution, was just wondering if there's a basic app/software that lets me read/type sms's using my computers keyboard and computer screen due to its larger and much more efficient interface. I have a couple of friends who like to communicate mainly via SMS, so while at work if there was a way I could read/respond via the computer rather than having to type on the small screen it would be really nice!

I can't imagine what the technical barrier in developing this would be . Some computer software would just need to be able to speak with the phone (or an app on the phone) to get a list of the sms's currently there, and to be able to 'send' an sms from the phone?

I don't mind if it has to be directly connected (bluetooth or cable etc). I don't need the 'remote' sms'ing feature etc

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Who's your wireless providers? I have Verizon, and there's functionality on the Verizon website to compose and send SMS messages. It goes through Verizon, not Google. So you could check your wireless provider's website to see if there is a similar functionality.

I think we all have concerns about privacy, but I also think it's a little unrealistic to think that we can have this massive thing called the Internet, with massive and not-so-massive companies trying to succeed (i.e., make money), without giving up some privacy. The huge majority of services available on the web and via wireless communications is not exactly free--otherwise, where would be the incentive to innovate and compete?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Who's your wireless providers? I have Verizon, and there's functionality on the Verizon website to compose and send SMS messages. It goes through Verizon, not Google. So you could check your wireless provider's website to see if there is a similar functionality.

Great suggestion. I forgot that some carriers sometimes offer this feature.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So now your message are on Verizon's server (which they are anyways). How is this better?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Because you don't need to use a third party client, such as gmail. The op's concern is that you need to route your texts through another service to text from the computer. Doing this from your carriers service on the computer prevents this.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87