How to get Google Music from Canada (As of Google's All Access service addition) walkthrough

MX5_Toronto

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I also get the ""The Google Play music player is currently available in select territories" message. Not sure what is going wrong...anyone have insights?

jambamochi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello, thank you all for your feedback and I apologise for not being here more frequently than I would have liked.

I have just tested my method again, and it seems to be working for me. I created a new Google Gmail account in Canada, and tried accessing the Google Music website with ProxMate turned OFF. It does mention the message "The Google Play music player is currently available in select territories.". After that I turned ON ProxMate, refreshed the page, and it immediately brought the first screen as mentioned in the OP (step 3). Switching ProxMate back off shows the error message again.

I created a new Google Gmail address to re-test my OP instructions. My current location is Canada, and following the instructions I have successfully acquired the Google Music Service. This means that this loophole is STILL WORKING for now!

For those having problems, keep these points in mind, and re-try if necessary:
  • Make sure you're using Google Chrome. This probably doesn't change anything but just in case right?
  • Remove the ProxMate extension if you already have it installed. Re-install ProxMate NOT from the google chrome store, but their official website: ProxMate - Proxy on steroids!
  • Check your ProxMate options (Right click the ProxMate logo > Options). Everything should be ticked, but what we're interested in is the second last entry - "play.google.com". Make sure that is ticked.
  • Make sure ProxMate is turned ON.
  • You MUST use a valid credit card! I have not tested whether a non-Canadian credit card works, but in theory any valid credit card should do. Credit cards from fakenamegenerator.com DO NOT WORK! I know because I have tried it.
  • Make sure Google Chrome is up to date. It may not affect anything, but it's one less thing to worry about.

Again, anyone having issues please be more specific with the conditions that have led you to your current error or situation. For example, make sure your post includes these points:
  • What version is Google Chrome and ProxMate? Currently mine are: Chrome:29.0.1547.66 m. ProxMate: 2.4.3. Check by going to Settings > About Google Chrome, and Settings > Tools > Extensions.
  • How far you have gotten with the instructions, i.e. which step are you stuck on (number)
  • What was the last thing you did before you got the error message? What did you click/input etc.
  • Which country are you doing this from? It shouldn't matter, but if a pattern arises then it may not be your fault.
  • What country is your credit card from (if it differs from the country that you are trying this in)? By all means DO NOT let us know your credit card number, as you may know this website and all other mobile nation websites (crackberry, etc) was hacked a few months ago.

Hope this helps all you peeps out there seeking refuge in Google's Music service. Post any results you have found, and don't forget to THANK or LIKE the OP at the very top if it helped you!

Last edited:

MX5_Toronto

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate your efforts and following up in this thread. Unfortunately I still can't get it to work. Most likely, I'm doing something wrong.

I follow the steps and install ProxyMate using the link you provided.

Using the latest version 2.4.3 and Chrome is up to date with version Version 29.0.1547.66 m

With ProxMate on, I go to music.google.com, but still get the "not available in all territories" blurb.

I'm thinking perhaps my ISP does not place nice with proxies?

A shame...just bought a ChromeCast, and would love to be able to utilize Google Music to upload and stream my songs.

icons

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It did not work for me .... and it did work for me.

First of all, the "official" website for ProxMate just links to the chrome app store so I guess that makes no difference.

I first tried it with my account (after removing my credit card from wallet) and I kept getting that territories nonsense. Then on a whim I tried it with my wife's account and your steps worked perfectly! I tried it again with my account and it didn't work.

Maybe it has something to do with what you have done with your account. My wife had only ever used gmail for the past 7 years. I on the other hand use many google services. I have had wallet setup for at least 2 years with my Canadian home address in the settings. Like I said I removed the credit card from wallet but the address was still there as a shipping address and my home address. So I tried removing the shipping address and changing my home address to a US address, but that didn't help. I tried to add a payment option (credit card) to wallet but it won't let me without putting in a full US address. So I put in a full US address which it accepted, but when I went to the play music site it still complained about "territories". I tried checking my profile and account for any other record of address but nothing else existed that I could change. Perhaps they know better based upon the fact that I have made many purchases with wallet already where my billing address and shipping address was always in Canada.

So I think it works just fine... so long as you haven't configured wallet already with a Canadian address.

According to some news sources, All Access was "supposed" to become available at the end of August (clearly that didn't happen). I should hope that if it does, that the standard account will also become available.

springwager

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Followed OP's directions, worked perfectly, thank you!!!! First time I used Google Wallet, not sure if that makes a difference to those having trouble...

barragan

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Followed OP's directions, worked perfectly, thank you!!!! First time I used Google Wallet, not sure if that makes a difference to those having trouble...

I'm with Icons. I think that what is blocking me is the fact that I have used wallet for at least 2 yrs.
Gonna try again with a brand new account and I'll report back

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jambamochi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Interesting result from icons.... but theoretically, Google shouldn't impose restrictions on your location if you've used wallet for a while in Canada. Say what if you decided to move to the US, have a legit US address, and a legit US credit card? Google should let you do that. The select territories restriction error makes me wonder whether the proxy is working properly for some accounts or something. I'll try using hotspot shield or finding some other proxy method and report back. Thank you all for your very detailed input so far!

Edit: Hotspot shield seems to work, and so can be used in place of ProxMate. It can be downloaded here (tested with version 3.13).

Last edited:

MX5_Toronto

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.

For people having problems (me included) i don't think the problem is with the proxy. Used both proxymate and hotspot shield. Tested first on other sites, and I am able to access other US only sites, but when I try Google Music, no luck.

As Icons said, somehow, certain google accounts are being identified as Canadian despite all our efforts to change this. I even tried unlinking my android phone from my google account, in case that somehow pegged my location based on service provider...no luck.

Puzzled how they can somehow tell.....

jambamochi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe you're right....

Out of curiosity, where did you create your Google account? My main google account was created in Thailand, and the recent secondary accounts I created to test my walkthrough were created in Canada. All of them worked for me. So far my main account has been on Canadian soil for 3 years by now. I doubt staying extensively in a place would affect GMusic availability, but just clarifying my situation.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I can't change my home country because I had the gift card on there from the original nexus 7. Even with 0.00 balance it won't disappear.

mtoka

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Its definitely not a VPN problem and is not related to the country you are initiating your VPN connection from. A vpn would obscure that info regardless of which service you use (proxmate, hotshield, freevpn, etc...). Google is catching this by other means.
Before accessing the google music website and after connecting to your vpn provider, just check that your traffic is actually going through the vpn. You could simply do this by accessing sites such as What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...

My guess its more related to the type of services you have been using on your Google account for some time.. will do some test with my main account while comparing with a new account created for this purpose and will update you soon

mtoka

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Below are the steps I followed with the newly created account, and it shows how it works and how it doesn't work with VPN. Unfortunately, these steps did not work for my main account, although I have changed my profile address, my wallet address, my address in my contact card, I disconnected all my phones and tablets and connected through VPN for 24 hours and still its giving the error message. So obviously Google is still checking something else.

Hope someone else can come up with more tests and ideas; What I can confirm is that its not VPN, its more related to one of the Google services we subscribed to in the past. Since there is so much talk about the Wallet, I suggest those individuals who get it to work, to share the details of how they handled the wallet (was there a card defined, which address, have you ever used it for shipping, have you changed the card before attempting Google music, etc...)
Thanks

Troubleshooting Steps:
1- Connect to USA VPN
2- Firefox, access Google Music --> Welcome screen - aka, it works!
3- Disconnect from VPN
4- Firefox, access Google Music --> Error screen - aka, does NOT work!
5- Connect to USA VPN
6- Firefox, access Google Music --> Error screen
--- so now it looks like Google remembered me and decided I can not switch countries that fast :)
7- Safari browser, access Google Music --> Welcome screen
8- Firefox, access Google Music --> Error screen
--- At this point its obviously related to the browser instead of the account
9- Firefox, Clear the cache and completely close the browser.
10- Start Firefox again and connect to Google music --> Welcome screen :D
--- Now I repeat the same test with Safari browser instead of firefox. Step 6 worked, so I did not need to clear my cache.

fmeragli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't get this to work either, no matter how many times I tried. I then realized I couldn't change my home country because I had 75 cents balance left on a promotional gift card for buying the Nexus 7 from 2012 (I also can't use it up because nothing is 75 cents on the store..). It looks like that balance will go away Sept 30th thankfully, I'll try again then:

"Receipt of Google Play promotional balance for activation of select new Nexus 7 tablet(s)
If you timely redeemed a Google Play promotional balance offer for purchasing and activating a Nexus 7 tablet, the following additional terms apply to you:

1. Upon activating select new Nexus 7 tablet(s) and completing the tablet set-up process by registering your Google Wallet account, you will receive a one-time promotional balance associated with your Google Wallet account for $25 worth of movies, music, books or apps on Google Play.

2. In order to receive this promotional balance for the tablet activation, you must currently have or create a Google Wallet account on your tablet, and you must also add a credit card or debit card to such account (or already have a credit card or debit card in such account) for use in future purchase and payment transactions with the Google Wallet, by September 30, 2012. This promotional balance is not available for Google Wallet accounts where you only store your bank account or Carrier Billing information as a payment method.

3. Only one Google Wallet account per tablet is eligible to receive this promotional balance. By receiving the promotional offer, you agree that Google Wallet may collect and store the serial number of your Nexus 7 tablet to track your receipt of this promotional balance.

4. Redeemed balances that remain unused in your Google Play account will expire on September 30, 2013."

dZilla

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So all I am getting when I try to go to the "Shop" Portion of the google play store is an error that says "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later."

Same here bought google chromecast was hoping to sync up to it...

Well I tried again the following day... it would not allow me to connect to music at all on my 'current' google account.... but when I created a new google account and put USA in my location..... it worked... so I just synced a new account to my phone and tablet... which is a bit of a pain.... but unless someone can tell me that I can still do it...?

??

Last edited:

sierratango

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
When you change your address in Google Wallet to a US address and logout/login again, there is a new option in Google Wallet that requires you to verify your residency with a SSN. It indicates that some services will need verification in order to work, so this may be the dreaded plug that Google has finally implemented to prevent some of us circumventing their requirements. I haven't tried using a fake SSN yet because I'm doing this for someone else's account and I don't want to get the person in trouble, but this may be something to those willing that might want to try out.

Jennifer Thiessen

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I am not able to get this to work. I installed chrome, then installed the Proxmate. Then clicked on the link above to go to the Google play music. I got the welcome screen then realized that I was already logged into MY Google account. I needed to install the Google music for my daughters device associated with HER email login. So I signed out of my account and clicked the link above in step 2. It tries to load then I get this message "The Google Play music player is currently available in select territories". So I read your notes at the bottom about trouble shooting, disabled the Proxmate and installed Hotspot Shield. Then I tried the link again and got the same message! I realized that the address bar reads //play.google.com/music/listen#/now and tried putting in the address just as play.google.com/music and every time it kicks me back to //play.google.com/music/listen#/now. Is there a way around this?? Please help, I am very frustrated about not being able to properly get music on her tablet for her!

sierratango

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I am not able to get this to work. I installed chrome, then installed the Proxmate. Then clicked on the link above to go to the Google play music. I got the welcome screen then realized that I was already logged into MY Google account. I needed to install the Google music for my daughters device associated with HER email login. So I signed out of my account and clicked the link above in step 2. It tries to load then I get this message "The Google Play music player is currently available in select territories". So I read your notes at the bottom about trouble shooting, disabled the Proxmate and installed Hotspot Shield. Then I tried the link again and got the same message! I realized that the address bar reads //play.google.com/music/listen#/now and tried putting in the address just as play.google.com/music and every time it kicks me back to //play.google.com/music/listen#/now. Is there a way around this?? Please help, I am very frustrated about not being able to properly get music on her tablet for her!

Sorry but Google seems to have already patched this loophole preventing anyone's Google account that has had activity on the Play Store from working.

We Canadians are just going to have to wait it out for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress