GSM Android on Verizon Network with Straight Talk carrier

Hannah Washburn

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently stumbled across this site while trying to discover some android information and was hoping that someone might be a little more knowledgable than I am about my dilemma! I use Straight Talk because of the monthly plans at such reasonable prices. The problem is that we live so far out in the boondocks that reception is very sketchy - my phone stays in the window most of the time and even then I can rarely receive voice calls, usually just texts. My brother has Verizon and he gets good enough reception out here ... but I don't like the Verizon prices! I was recently informed that you can buy Straight Talk iPhones at Walmart that use the Verizon network. That would be convenient except that I'd rather stick with an Android ... if for no other reason than it takes so much longer to type on my brother iPhone than to swype on my Samsung Galaxy Precedent! So I'm wondering if I can find an Android that runs on the Verizon network but can be used with Straight Talk?

But ... there is also a possibility that I may be spending some time in a foreign country in the near future and I would like the option of a GSM phone so that I could purchase a plan with a carrier in that country. My brother just did this with his phone, but again ... I don't really want a iPhone. So to sum it up - does anyone know ... is there such a thing as getting a Verizon Network Android that I can use with my Straight Talk plan, and be able to change the sim card if I want to use it overseas?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Irene Harvey

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I would like to know with me being a straight talk purchaser and using this service, can I get an android smartphone and be able to use the GSM device service with straight talk. The Model #BLUAdvance 4.0 A270a, GSM brands-850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA brand: 850/1700/1900 . I Need to know if my carrier will support Voice & Data on this Unlocked device please. Thank You in advance for the information.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk is a network operator, not a carrier. They use AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon towers. You choose the one that gives best coverage where you need coverage, you buy a phone for that carrier, and you get your service through Straight Talk.

The phone is GSM, so Verizon and Sprint are out, they're CDMA. In the US, voice uses 850/1900, so the phone is fine for that. The phone is 3G-only (no LTE) so either T-Mobile or AT&T will woek. Check with others who are getting good reception where you need a cellphone to work, and with those having problems where you need a cellphone to work, and choose which carrier would be better for you. Then get a SIM for that carrier for Straight Talk. You can order one from Straight Talk and wait a few days, or you can buy one at any Walmart. It's $7. Unfortunately, Straight Talk only has full size, micro and nano SIMS, and your phone requires a micro SIM, so you''ll have to get on rBay and buy an adapter kit. That's just a bunch of plastic adapters to make smaller cards fit larger phones. Get a nano SIM, so you can use it in any of the 4 sizes of slots with the adapters. A set of 3 adapters (nano to micro, nano to mini and nano to regular, should cost you a dollar and change. (Or, if there's an independent cellphone store in your area, one not affiliated with a single carrier, ask if they have an adapter from nano to micro that you can buy. (They're considered junk, but some shops keep a bunch of them in a drawer in case anyone needs one. Even Straight Talk may have one you can use.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo