Trouble in having two android devices on the same wi-fi network

portachking

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm looking or some advice, or even just some clarification as maybe I;m just missing something.

I have two android devices at home, a HTC One S and a Nexus 7(2012). The problem is that when I am using one or another occasionally the wi-fi will simply stop working. I'm still getting full signal in the notification bar, but either Chrome or whatever app that is using the wi-fi will stop retrieving data and eventually time-out or stay on buffering.

I have tried some things including changing the channel my wi-fi is set to from Auto to 6 and Mixed B/N/G mode to N only, but nothing seems to fix this problem except for one thing; turning the wi-fi off on one of these devices. The connections seem perfectly stable when I do this.
I also have a laptop in the house, my girlfriend comes over with her iphone, and I have an ipad from work that I occasionally bring home (I'm a teacher) and none of these devices ever have any issues, it's only the two android devices.

It's almost as it they are sharing the same wi-fi train track and only one can ride it at a time.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

That sounds like an issue with your router. You could try a bunch of things but you may want to reset your router and then maybe set it to G only (most devices are safe with G). See if that makes any difference. Also, how many other WiFi devices are on the same network?

portachking

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I already have reset my router, unfortunately that didn't seem to fix things.
I will try setting it to B/G only as G Only isn't an option.

The total number of devices include, my laptop, and the two android devices. Occasionally throw in an ipad or iphone, but the problem exists even when it is only the two devices and everything else is off.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have that problem too, but I'm not sure if it's a conflict or just the fact that I downgraded my WiFi to dial up speeds (because my computer isn't working) or what.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Have not had this issue with my N7 and Note 3 or my N7 and Stratosphere before that. Is it only one device that seems problematic or have they both done it?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Just for reference, I have this connected to my WiFi every evening if we are all home, which is most of the time after 8pm.

4 Android phones (3 Motorola's & 1 Samsung)
1 Android Tablet (Nexus 10)
1 Kindle Fire HD 7"
2 iPhones
3 laptops
2 Chromebooks
2 Dish Network Hopper receivers
2 Chromecast modules
1Xbox
1 PS3
Various other devices when the kids or my friends come over.

I have not experienced any issues with my Android or other devices. I have a newer (less than one year old) Linksys wireless router on its default settings, except for passwords of course.

Posted via my Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

portachking

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. The router is a cisco 2425. It was provided by my ISP.

I've switched over to G. I can't tell yet if the issue is resolved but I guess I'll know soon enough if it hasn't.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress