Phone suddenly turned off and won't turn back on?

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought an HTC First a few weeks ago ( I think lol) and love it so far. So earlier today at school I was on my phone, and nothing was wrong. I put it in my pocket and about 20 minutes later I pulled it back out and it was dead. Odd, because it was almost full before. So I thought, whatever I'll charge it at home. So after school I put it on charge and the red light wasn't blinking. I gave it around 30 minutes and still nothing. It's been a few hours and still, it isn't charging or turning on. I tried holding power/vol+/vol- for more than 2 minutes. I have warranty but HTC said if I send it in I'll be forced to pay to replace the screen too, which has a TINY crack on the corner :(. Any ideas? Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try leaving it plugged in overnight without disturbing it, and try again in the morning. If it doesn't work, I think you'll have to send it in for repair/replacement. Did you get insurance for the phone? If so, it might be worthwhile to use it, since the deductible might end up being cheaper than paying for the screen repair.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, and it was almost $200 for a replacement screen and no, i didn't buy insurance. :( Second HTC device (The other was a sensation 4G) that this happened to me with.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Try leaving it plugged in overnight without disturbing it, and try again in the morning. If it doesn't work, I think you'll have to send it in for repair/replacement. Did you get insurance for the phone? If so, it might be worthwhile to use it, since the deductible might end up being cheaper than paying for the screen repair.

Also, it doesn't get warm like normally when charging. Is the battery dead?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Always a possibility. If nothing happens by tomorrow, I'd say that's the most likely explanation.

Hionimi

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Lithium based batteries only get warm when discharging, not when charging. (If they do it's bad!) So likely when you charge while it is standby, any heat may either be from the battery getting discharged/was discharging or simply the CPU/GPU got warm. What I tend to do, as I got a dead Note 3 today, and was first thinking it might be my battery, is pull the battery out and and test it with a multimeter (but only if I'm sure what the polarity is, most batteries should have the plus and ground symbol), in my case it said 4.02 Volts so it was fine. Lithium-Ion/Polymer is pretty much drained when reaching somewhere between 3-3.25 Volts and full at 4.2 Volts. So if there is juice in it and the battery isn't puffed up, it's not the battery.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non