cannot turn off my phone

issuer

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi everybody, after charging my phone I realised I could not switch it off - neither using the power off button nor using a virtual button on the screen. If I use this virtual button and select power off, the phone just reinitiates.

I have tried repair apps, wiped the cache... to no avail. Even a factory reset did nothing. That is to say, nothing has worked so far.
Besides, when the screen goes black it's complicated to wake it up again unless you use accessibility options (at least that works).

The phone has no other trouble than that, it seems.

Help, please.

Last edited:

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
You don't mention what phone you have, but my phone (Razr+) has an option in Settings > Gestures for ""Press and hold power button" which has a "Hold for Assistant" toggle. If it's switched on, then you'll never see the power menu by pressing the power button; you must follow one of the methods here in that case.

If you have it set so that press & holding the power button activates Assistant but have Assistant disabled, it will act as you describe.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi everybody, after loading my phone I realised I could not switch it off - neither using the power off button nor using a virtual button on the screen. If I use this virtual button and select power off, the phone just reinitiates.

I have tried repair apps, wiped the cache... to no avail. Even a factory reset did nothing. That is to say, nothing has worked so far.
Besides, when the screen goes black it's complicated to wake it up again unless you use accessibility options (at least that works).

The phone has no other trouble than that, it seems.

Help, please.
You said you "loaded" your phone... did you install a custom rom? With everything you've tried it sounds like you might have to reflash your stock firmware... especially if you've installed a custom rom that's giving you problems. @mustang7757 would be able to help you with that 😉

issuer

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi, it's not a custom rom, I wish I could use them. I tried one of those some time ago, on a phone I was going to discard and it went definitely crazy.

And yep, I tried pressing volume buttons, down, up, up+down, even while charging, but got nowhere.

The last thing I've tried is an update while being on recovery mode. The update was OK, I even got a pop-up message that said that the phone was in optimal condition. In fact it works fine, but still doesn't go off

Reactions: J Dubbs

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You know there's lots of folks who never turn their phones off. If you're okay with that you might be able to get a few more years out of it 😉

You could also reflash your stock firmware with mustang's help... that would probably fix the issue.

issuer

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
I know, but can it be dangerous if you never turn the phone off? ie, could it catch fire in some (rare) cases?
Anyway I guess it's better for the battery to turn it off more or less frequently.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You said you "loaded" your phone... did you install a custom rom? With everything you've tried it sounds like you might have to reflash your stock firmware... especially if you've installed a custom rom that's giving you problems. @mustang7757 would be able to help you with that
I'm not familiar with Oppo devices but XDA Forum has good info

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Do you think the Power button is faulty or does it work together with the Volume buttons?
So what did you mean by loaded?
Adding your apps to a factory refreshed phone?

Have you tried the on screen Power button provided via the Accessibility settings?

You would still have a screen wake problem.

Is there a power off in Recovery Mode? I think there's a piece of the puzzle missing or misread here.

A search shows many Oppo / Oppo A15 Power button problems, but that might apply to most phones.

=====
*Added ..

Also can you restart your phone if you let the battery run down?

You've probably looked at these already and some are mentioned here:

Reactions: J Dubbs

issuer

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
Do you think the Power button is faulty or does it work together with the Volume buttons?
So what did you mean by loaded?
Adding your apps to a factory refreshed phone?

Have you tried the on screen Power button provided via the Accessibility settings?

You would still have a screen wake problem.

Is there a power off in Recovery Mode? I think there's a piece of the puzzle missing or misread here.

A search shows many Oppo / Oppo A15 Power button problems, but that might apply to most phones.

=====
*Added ..

Also can you restart your phone if you let the battery run down?

You've probably looked at these already and some are mentioned here:
Tried everything, but the problem won't go away

issuer

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
That should work for any Android device, regardless of the manufacturer -- it's kind of a failsafe measure. This makes me suspect that there's a hardware problem with the Power button itself.
If I use an app or try to turn the phone off in recovery mode - I mean, without using the physical power button, it's the same thing. It just reinitiates

Last edited by a moderator: