How can I stream my home server media to my device when away from home?

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have terrabytes of movies on my always on server that I would like to have access to over the internet. I have TV shows, home movies, and ripped movies that I want to be able to view when not at home. Free would be nice, but easy would be best. I don't want to have to setup dynamicDNS or anything complex if possible. I am shocked that this is not something easily possible today. Or maybe it is but I am not searching for it the right way.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Splashtop might work for you. Its a remote desktop app from the Play store. You run their streaming app on your PC and anything you can do from there you can do from your mobile device. I use this method on my TF-101. Keep in mind that the bandwidth use is high since its not a mobile format like what you stream from websites.

Splashtop is the #1 Remote Desktop and Application Access for Mobile Devices

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.splashtop.remote.pad.v2&token=kSCjcvfD

Another limiting factor is your home ISP and the upstream bandwidth your service allows.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Not that those options are not viable, but they are expensive. I would have no problem purchasing if I could have a trial period to make sure it works well with my setup. Is there a free option for either of these to test out? You only get like 15 minutes to undo a purchase on the play store and that is not quite long enough to test this sort of app.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Splashtop says the anywhere option is a monthly subscription as well. Or yearly, or lifetime. Otherwise it seems to just be a network streaming app which I do not even need since I can just use ES explorer.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay, tried splashtop a few times and its just screen sharing. I am looking for an app like ES File Explorer that would allow me to see my server from anywhere and use the phone to open the file.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I highly recommend Plex. Better if you have a compatible NAS rather than using your PC though. The Android app cost $5 or you can do monthly subscribe and use PlexPass version.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Do not have a "NAS" device. I do have WHS 2011 on my media server. I really wish Plex would offer a 14 day trial or something. Anything to allow me to try it out before I spend $4 for a full month of plex pass without even knowing if its going to work well enough on my server.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any VNC client/server, but you have to forward a port on your router. It's either port forwarding or paying for their server. Your router prevents incoming requests from getting to anything inside unless you forward the port. With a VNC server on your computer and a VNC client on the phone, you're running your computer from your phone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Do not have a "NAS" device. I do have WHS 2011 on my media server. I really wish Plex would offer a 14 day trial or something. Anything to allow me to try it out before I spend $4 for a full month of plex pass without even knowing if its going to work well enough on my server.

If you meet the requirements of Plex (mainly, you have a good enough internet connection and your home PC is fast enough for the transcoding) it will work just fine. IMO the $4 is worth it just to know. If it works, there isn't a better solution, if it doesn't then you're only out $4 and can try something else instead.

That's what I would do.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess I will have to try Plex pass then. I am stingy and do not like wasting money. Splashtop allowed me to have a 14 day trial where I figured out that it was just screen sharing which does not work well for watching videos. Not to mention that the host computer was on the whole time I was streaming obviously.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess I will have to try Plex pass then. I am stingy and do not like wasting money. Splashtop allowed me to have a 14 day trial where I figured out that it was just screen sharing which does not work well for watching videos. Not to mention that the host computer was on the whole time I was streaming obviously.

The host computer will need to be on for Plex too. What I'm not sure of is if it can wake the computer up so that it can at least be asleep when you're not streaming.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo