SD card troubles.

Silver15

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I own an HTC Sensation and have an 8 GB SD card in there right now. It says I only have about 650 MB(~8%) available on the SD card. I barely have any apps on my phone and have used the SDCard Manager app to see what is taking up the space, but I can't the things taking up all that space. I only have about 400 MB of music on this SD card so it can't be that. Am I missing something? Does SD card memory get taken up in some other way?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I own an HTC Sensation and have an 8 GB SD card in there right now. It says I only have about 650 MB(~8%) available on the SD card. I barely have any apps on my phone and have used the SDCard Manager app to see what is taking up the space, but I can't the things taking up all that space. I only have about 400 MB of music on this SD card so it can't be that. Am I missing something? Does SD card memory get taken up in some other way?
Plug in the phone to your PC and check what else is taking up storage. It's 8GB, so you should have a little more than 7 available to use. Don't see what else could take up space if you hadn't placed it on their

Silver15

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Plug in the phone to your PC and check what else is taking up storage. It's 8GB, so you should have a little more than 7 available to use. Don't see what else could take up space if you hadn't placed it on their

This is the equivalent of using the SDCard Manager app. I plugged it into my PC anyways. Get the same results as the app...not even 1 GB should be taken up..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First, a somewhat dumb question--are you sure the "SD Card" you're looking at is the external SD card? Some devices call the onboard Internal Storage the "Internal SD Card." If you see separate areas like "Internal Storage" and "SD Card," then it is presumably referring to the external SD card.

Second, was the external SD card brand new when you got it? Could there have already been some data on it that you put on previously, or perhaps a prior user did? Try removing the SD card (making sure to unmount it first in Settings>Storage) and inserting it into your computer. Does the computer say the SD card is completely empty?

SD cards can be counterfeit, even if it came in what looked like legitimate packaging. Try running SD Insight, which can tell you exactly what capacity the card has.

Silver15

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First, a somewhat dumb question--are you sure the "SD Card" you're looking at is the external SD card? Some devices call the onboard Internal Storage the "Internal SD Card." If you see separate areas like "Internal Storage" and "SD Card," then it is presumably referring to the external SD card.

Second, was the external SD card brand new when you got it? Could there have already been some data on it that you put on previously, or perhaps a prior user did? Try removing the SD card (making sure to unmount it first in Settings>Storage) and inserting it into your computer. Does the computer say the SD card is completely empty?

SD cards can be counterfeit, even if it came in what looked like legitimate packaging. Try running SD Insight, which can tell you exactly what capacity the card has.

It is the external and I got it separately, brand new. The SD Insight app tells me the size is 7.9 GB...I will put the SD card in the computer and see what it says.

EDIT: got it fixed....6 GB was taken up by 'temporary files by HTC apps'. I couldn't see this unless I went to 'make more space'. Weird how certain apps that are meant for keeping track of SD cards wouldn't show this...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member