Note 8 died so got a new Galaxy 22 - but no SD card

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

My Galaxy Note 8 (with SD card) crashed and I am still trying to get it back up but I now have a new Galaxy 22 (no card) and trying to get everything back without access to the old phone.

I have got much back from the backups however every app I have to re show user and pwd and it's driving me nuts as I have many apps, many pwds and a few Google accounts. :)

My main problems at the moment is getting my previous Chats back for the various Whats App accounts. The accounts and contacts are there but no past chats in each account.

The other is I had much data going to the SD card in the Note 8 but the 22 doesn't have a card just more space on the phone. I do have the card now but not sure where to put the data.

What is the protocol to get the data off the SD and into the 22 so it can be read by the various apps?

Thank you in anxious anticipation

oz

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most apps will not port login credentials for obvious security reasons. Same goes for Whatsapp conversations; since they are encrypted and tied to an account/phone, the only way to transfer them is to have access to the 'old' device (you may have a back up of the conversations in a file or cloud, but without activating a new device through the old one, this back up cannot be decrypted/restored).

As for SD card data, you can just open that in a computer and drag/drop into the phone (same folders should do). Just bear in mind that any actual APP data will not port over as newer versions of Android no longer support apps in SD cards (just external downloads/media).

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Oh dear. Not good news on both accounts !

I have been trying to find where WhatsApp backed up to but so far no luck. A Google acc , Samsung cloud, I'm not sure

For the apps, say photos in DCIM on the SD card etc, how do I get those back so I can see them. In the actual apps, are there options where to save so I can readjust to where they will be?

Thank you for the reply, it is appreciated.

oz

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For Whatsapp, it depends on how you configured your back ups (if you had a Google cloud account associated with it, if it saved locally, etc. as well as if it did it automatically).

For photos in DCIM, that folder you can copy outright to your phone (one should already exist) and, depending on how many pictures you transfer, the Gallery app may take a little while to finally show everything but it will. Apps will still see the contents automatically.

For media saved in specific folders (Snapchat or Instagram, for instance), you can copy the folder itself and the app should automatically recognize the content. Most apps now won't give you an option of where to save media, however, as SD card is no longer an option in the new phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29