Can Android handle all of my stuff?

cjminott

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey Android Central,

Thanks for the great website. I'm an avid Apple / iPhone fan (Accused of being a fanboy, and that's probably not inaccurate), but I'm considering a switch. The number 1 reason being that I've noticed since iOS7 / Mavericks came out Google Servers and Apple Devices are not playing nicely. And my work uses Google Apps so access to GMail / Google Calendar / Google Contacts are an absolute must for me. And since the upgrade nothing is working / syncing properly (delays in syncing / duplicate contacts / missing contacts / missing events / etc.), so that prompted my hunt for a new phone.

My question though is whether or not Android can handle all of my stuff, because I'm a power user (read: nerd). We get an average of ~87 emails per day, which over the years has added up to over 42,000 emails in my All Mail Folder (42,409 to be exact), and I would estimate 80%-90% of that is in folders, and I'm not willing to delete them. I also have a little over 2,600 contacts.

Is this something Android can support? I'd hate to switch and have all of the same problems that I already have.

Also, I'm considering HTC One or Note 3. Any votes either way would be appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Android Central,

Thanks for the great website. I'm an avid Apple / iPhone fan (Accused of being a fanboy, and that's probably not inaccurate), but I'm considering a switch. The number 1 reason being that I've noticed since iOS7 / Mavericks came out Google Servers and Apple Devices are not playing nicely. And my work uses Google Apps so access to GMail / Google Calendar / Google Contacts are an absolute must for me. And since the upgrade nothing is working / syncing properly (delays in syncing / duplicate contacts / missing contacts / missing events / etc.), so that prompted my hunt for a new phone.

My question though is whether or not Android can handle all of my stuff, because I'm a power user (read: nerd). We get an average of ~87 emails per day, which over the years has added up to over 42,000 emails in my All Mail Folder (42,409 to be exact), and I would estimate 80%-90% of that is in folders, and I'm not willing to delete them. I also have a little over 2,600 contacts.

Is this something Android can support? I'd hate to switch and have all of the same problems that I already have.

Also, I'm considering HTC One or Note 3. Any votes either way would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forums, and potentially Android.
What carrier are you with? Would you be using your cell signal for this use or company wifi?

I would offer a third suggestion: the Moto X.

Check this out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/367019-moto-x-battery-life-expectations.html#post3486674

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to store all of those e-mails locally on the device or just to have the ability to activate them within Gmail? You can sync more than one gmail account to a phone, do you have a friend who'd let you log in on theirs to try it out and make sure it passes the test? Another option would be to do that with the display unit in a store. Gmail/Calendar, etc work pretty well on Android for me, but I don't use it for that scale of enterprise so will defer to integration questions to those with more experience with that.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can log in either by POP to store the email on the phone or IMAP to access them from the server. I don't see any issues with the later option. You can try a cheap Moto G first and see how it handle it them, then buy a flagship device if you're happy with the performance.

Don't get any last year phones at this point, get one of the new phone that is coming out this year.

I don't have the issues you mentioned, never had issues with Google syncing. You set how frequent the email get synced, buy there are lots of apps that help control syncing.

I use Synker which let you manually force syncing the phone and I use it along with Tasker to create automated tasks for when I want any sync items in the phone to start syncing.

sent via tapatalk

cjminott

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, and potentially Android.
What carrier are you with? Would you be using your cell signal for this use or company wifi?

I would offer a third suggestion: the Moto X.

Check this out: Moto X Battery Life Expectations

Golfdriver, looking at Verizon. I live in AZ and have had really bad experiences with T-Mobile / AT&T / Sprint so I'm not willing to change that. I'm not super worried about data usage honestly, I've never gone over my 5 GB and I use my iPhone constantly.

I'll check out the Moto X too, looks like a good option. I was noticing that Android Central rates it number 1.

Are you trying to store all of those e-mails locally on the device or just to have the ability to activate them within Gmail? You can sync more than one gmail account to a phone, do you have a friend who'd let you log in on theirs to try it out and make sure it passes the test? Another option would be to do that with the display unit in a store. Gmail/Calendar, etc work pretty well on Android for me, but I don't use it for that scale of enterprise so will defer to integration questions to those with more experience with that.

Just the ability to activate I guess? Don't need to store them for offline use, it's just with apple devices I think they start syncing my folders / get to the All Mail folder and get stuck or something. (For reference my iMac has been syncing my Gmail account for about a week now, probably only 40%...)

You can log in either by POP to store the email on the phone or IMAP to access them from the server. I don't see any issues with the later option. You can try a cheap Moto G first and see how it handle it them, then buy a flagship device if you're happy with the performance.

Don't get any last year phones at this point, get one of the new phone that is coming out this year.

I don't have the issues you mentioned, never had issues with Google syncing. You set how frequent the email get synced, buy there are lots of apps that help control syncing.

I use Synker which let you manually force syncing the phone and I use it along with Tasker to create automated tasks for when I want any sync items in the phone to start syncing.

sent via tapatalk

Ok cool, IMAP is really all I'm looking for. I really DON'T want to do POP access. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty