Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can Android handle all of my stuff?

Hey Android Central,

Thanks for the great website. I'm an avid Apple / iPhone fan (Accused of being a fanboy, and that's probably not inaccurate), but I'm considering a switch. The number 1 reason being that I've noticed since iOS7 / Mavericks came out Google Servers and Apple Devices are not playing nicely. And my work uses Google Apps so access to GMail / Google Calendar / Google Contacts are an absolute must for me. And since the upgrade nothing is working / syncing properly (delays in syncing / duplicate contacts / missing contacts / missing events / etc.), so that prompted my hunt for a new phone.

My question though is whether or not Android can handle all of my stuff, because I'm a power user (read: nerd). We get an average of ~87 emails per day, which over the years has added up to over 42,000 emails in my All Mail Folder (42,409 to be exact), and I would estimate 80%-90% of that is in folders, and I'm not willing to delete them. I also have a little over 2,600 contacts.

Is this something Android can support? I'd hate to switch and have all of the same problems that I already have.

Also, I'm considering HTC One or Note 3. Any votes either way would be appreciated!

Global Posts
    21,664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Can Android handle all of my stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by cjminott View Post
    Hey Android Central,

Thanks for the great website. I'm an avid Apple / iPhone fan (Accused of being a fanboy, and that's probably not inaccurate), but I'm considering a switch. The number 1 reason being that I've noticed since iOS7 / Mavericks came out Google Servers and Apple Devices are not playing nicely. And my work uses Google Apps so access to GMail / Google Calendar / Google Contacts are an absolute must for me. And since the upgrade nothing is working / syncing properly (delays in syncing / duplicate contacts / missing contacts / missing events / etc.), so that prompted my hunt for a new phone.

My question though is whether or not Android can handle all of my stuff, because I'm a power user (read: nerd). We get an average of ~87 emails per day, which over the years has added up to over 42,000 emails in my All Mail Folder (42,409 to be exact), and I would estimate 80%-90% of that is in folders, and I'm not willing to delete them. I also have a little over 2,600 contacts.

Is this something Android can support? I'd hate to switch and have all of the same problems that I already have.

Also, I'm considering HTC One or Note 3. Any votes either way would be appreciated!
    Welcome to the forums, and potentially Android.
    What carrier are you with? Would you be using your cell signal for this use or company wifi?

I would offer a third suggestion: the Moto X.

Check this out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post3486674

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    7,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Are you trying to store all of those e-mails locally on the device or just to have the ability to activate them within Gmail? You can sync more than one gmail account to a phone, do you have a friend who'd let you log in on theirs to try it out and make sure it passes the test? Another option would be to do that with the display unit in a store. Gmail/Calendar, etc work pretty well on Android for me, but I don't use it for that scale of enterprise so will defer to integration questions to those with more experience with that.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

You can log in either by POP to store the email on the phone or IMAP to access them from the server. I don't see any issues with the later option. You can try a cheap Moto G first and see how it handle it them, then buy a flagship device if you're happy with the performance.

Don't get any last year phones at this point, get one of the new phone that is coming out this year.

I don't have the issues you mentioned, never had issues with Google syncing. You set how frequent the email get synced, buy there are lots of apps that help control syncing.

I use Synker which let you manually force syncing the phone and I use it along with Tasker to create automated tasks for when I want any sync items in the phone to start syncing.

sent via tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Sorry, double posted on accident, see below.
    Last edited by cjminott; 03-02-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Accidentally double posted.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums, and potentially Android.
    What carrier are you with? Would you be using your cell signal for this use or company wifi?

I would offer a third suggestion: the Moto X.

Check this out: Moto X Battery Life Expectations
    Golfdriver, looking at Verizon. I live in AZ and have had really bad experiences with T-Mobile / AT&T / Sprint so I'm not willing to change that. I'm not super worried about data usage honestly, I've never gone over my 5 GB and I use my iPhone constantly.

I'll check out the Moto X too, looks like a good option. I was noticing that Android Central rates it number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Are you trying to store all of those e-mails locally on the device or just to have the ability to activate them within Gmail? You can sync more than one gmail account to a phone, do you have a friend who'd let you log in on theirs to try it out and make sure it passes the test? Another option would be to do that with the display unit in a store. Gmail/Calendar, etc work pretty well on Android for me, but I don't use it for that scale of enterprise so will defer to integration questions to those with more experience with that.
    Just the ability to activate I guess? Don't need to store them for offline use, it's just with apple devices I think they start syncing my folders / get to the All Mail folder and get stuck or something. (For reference my iMac has been syncing my Gmail account for about a week now, probably only 40%...)

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    You can log in either by POP to store the email on the phone or IMAP to access them from the server. I don't see any issues with the later option. You can try a cheap Moto G first and see how it handle it them, then buy a flagship device if you're happy with the performance.

Don't get any last year phones at this point, get one of the new phone that is coming out this year.

I don't have the issues you mentioned, never had issues with Google syncing. You set how frequent the email get synced, buy there are lots of apps that help control syncing.

I use Synker which let you manually force syncing the phone and I use it along with Tasker to create automated tasks for when I want any sync items in the phone to start syncing.

sent via tapatalk
    Ok cool, IMAP is really all I'm looking for. I really DON'T want to do POP access. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Global Posts
    21,664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by cjminott View Post
    Sorry, double posted on accident, see below.
    I really like my X. Very often it is my go to phone if I need to make sure I can make it though the day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here