How do I get my pictures off my phone if I have a broke screen ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any shop can replace a broken screen without losing data. The problem is that the rule in almost any honest shop is that the phone's data gets wiped before anything else is done to it - to make sure that no one steals your data. If you find a repair shop willing to replace the screen without wiping the phone, your problem is solved. (In my shops, the rule was that if I caught you working on a phone that hadn't been wiped, you were gone and you could pick up your personal phone after I had the chance to manually wipe everything from it, just to make sure that any customer data you stole was gone. Or I'd call the police. Depending on my mood. A phone repair shop is a great place for a stalker to work if employees are allowed to work on unwiped phones.) So it's the customer's choice - if you wanted me to fix your phone without wiping the data, you'd sign a waiver, and I'd back the phone up before doing anything else. (One slip and your data is gone, despite my promise to not wipe it, so it first got backed up - I stopped being perfect a long time ago.)

If it's an older phone, and you just want to get the data from it before replacing it, some shops will - if they have a screen for that phone handy - plug in their screen and let you back the phone up (for a small fee - a LOT cheaper than replacing the screen). See Backing up an Android Device. And if you back your phone up even once a week, you won't have that problem, unless you make lots of changes in a week's time, in which case you should be backing up daily.

Large cloud accounts are free, and there are a lot of them - there's no excuse for not backing up.

tsharp104

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Em, I am going through the same thing right now with my phone... It is very frustrating . and what's even more frustrating is when u ask people for help and get the replys u did . I only logged in here just to say to all the people who responded to ur post... u people seriously need to get a life and stop being so judgmental. They asked for help if u can't offer help f*"! Off . anyway if I find out through my search I will let you know ....

Paige McCourt

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I dropped my phone and the screen is messed up. I can still use the buttons but I cannot see anything and there are lines and colors. how much would u charge to fix screen

Nerdy_nycron

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I Found this from another site. and will try it myself
Method 1: HDMI Connection And On The Go USB Mouse

This is probably the most effective and reliable method that you can use to unlock your phone if your screen isn’t responding and you can’t see anything on it at the same time. This isn’t an official solution to this problem, but it’s just a workaround that should work with most Android phones and tablets that support OTG and an HDMI output, including Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One and Nexus 5.

The way this method will work is that your phone’s display will be shown on your TV using an HDMI cable and we’ll use a USB OTG mouse to unlock the phone. Even if your phone doesn’t have an HDMI port, you can still use this method as long as your phone supports an MHL to HDMI adapter. Also, make sure that you check whether your Android phone or tablet supports OTG adapters. You can also use this list to check the phones and tablets that support OTG.
Step 1

If your phone has a micro HDMI port, then this process is slightly easier and you can purchase a standard OTG adapter. Phones such as the Sony Xperia S come with micro HDMI ports. You can purchase an OTG adapter from your local phone store. You can also buy it on Amazon for about $4.47.
otg adapter

If your phone doesn’t have a micro HDMI port but supports MHL to HDMI adapters, then you’ll need to purchase a special OTG plus HDMI adapter. You might be able to find it at your local phone store. One great adapter is available on Amazon for about $19.99. This particular adapter supports five different connections and you can connect your HDMI cable and a USB mouse directly into this adapter.

otg hdmi adapter
Step 2

Get a standard USB mouse if you don’t already use one with your computer. They are widely available at computer stores.
Step 3

Connect the OTG adapter to your phone.
Step 4

Connect the USB mouse into the OTG adapter and plug in the HDMI cable into the OTG adapter as well. If you have a micro USB HDMI port on your phone, then connect the micro HDMI cable into your phone. Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to your TV. Turn on your TV and switch to HDMI mode.

hdmi otg connection
Step 5

You should now see your phone’s display on your TV. You should also see a mouse pointer on the display. Use the mouse to draw the unlock pattern on your phone or click on the keys to type in your password. That’s it! You have successfully unlocked your Android phone.:)

LBarber607

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I also BROKE my screen....i do see the LED light on it and i hear sound but i cannot see any picture. It has a password on it so when i tried to use a program on the computer to back up my photos and contacts it said it could not because there is a password on it keeping me from being able to download the backup program.....i'm unclear on what to do and unclear if i have a chance to SAVE MY PHOTOS AND CONTACTS at this point. PLEASE ANY CLEAR ADVICE ON WHAT I CAN DO AND HOW ?

IndianaSolo

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey there!
Thanks for this explanation. I'm in the same situation here, smashed screen that's unusable, but I can tell that it's turning on by the light and sounds. I've plugged it into my computer, and I see the phone under Devices and Printers, but I can't figure out where to access my files and pictures. Can you direct me? I really appreciate your help!

Best,
IndianaSolo

cobra26

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Had this just happen to me, I hooked my phone up to the TV with a $6 cable and was able to see my screen on the tv. Punched in my pass code (took a couple tries) then downloaded smart switch. Downloaded smart switch on new phone and sent all data from old phone to new phone while the old one was still hooked to TV. Worked like a charm..

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Azrin Ariff

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I have Sony C1505 but the screen has gone... I need that pics in my phone back... My screen had a water damage... My phone is in screen lock condition... can I transfer the data to PC with usb tethering... Thanks

What about just screen lock without that pattern or pssword? Can it unlocked it too?

Angeliiz80

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Do you think you could help me out my screen isn't cracked it just won't turn on for some reason. I plugged it in before bed and woke up to my alarm not going off and not being able to turn the screen on (email address removed by Moderator)

tinagunn

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I dropped my cell phone face down & now the screen is broke; it's black; & can't hear anything. How can I get the pictures & videos off it & on to my laptop? There's no SD card.

doctorleigh

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Android Motorola turbo 1: LCD fried; Haven't backed up on Cloud: Phone still works

Have been successful at getting some of my pictures onto PC, but newest pics taken with fried LCD phone camera won't transfer. It is not locked and I can guess where to press without seeing it. Any suggestions?

saroshako

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
1) That's a good object lesson for making backups, isn't it?

2) Connect your device with a laptop or desktop computer using a USB cable. Find the 'DCIM' folder on your device and copy it to the computer. Your boy's photos should be in that folder.
Then remotely install the free 'AndroidLost' app from the Play Store to your device using your Gmail address and password. Then use AndroidLost to remotely wipe thr device before you take it in to get that screen repaired (you don't want your device's content in the hands of some anonymous repair guy, do you?)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using AC Forums mobile app

my phone's screen is broken and i need my pictures and when I connect my phone with the laptope using a USB they show me that there is no items on my sony xperia z2 phone .is there anyone that can herlp me?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, you might be out of luck. In order for the computer to see the files on the phone, you have to change the USB connection mode to MTP, and this requires you to swipe down the notification panel on the screen. If the screen is broken, you won't be able to. If the photos are really important, you may have to look into replacing the screen.

In the future, take advantage of Google Photos auto-backup: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87