Strange auto sim lock!

noviceuser73

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi

When I went to use my phone today, I found to my surprise that it was sim-locked!

Not a big problem i know, but does anybody know why or how to turn that off.

My phone is set to sim-lock. As I understand "sim-lock" it is only activated when the phone has been powered off?

Screen-lock is set to swipe only.

I would appreciate if someone would venture a guess here.

ps the phone is 2 day old and my experience with smartphones the same

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Please provide more information. What carrier are you using? and what device did you buy? Where did you buy it (From a carrier? from a 3rd party electronics store? Used/2nd hand?)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SIM-lock means that the phone can only be used with a SIM from the carrier t's locked to. Evidently the phone is locked to a carrier other than yours. It has nothing to do with the screen lock.

If you bought the phone from a carrier or retailer, bring it back and ask them to set it up for the carrier you're using, or give you a phone locked to that carrier. If you bought it from a private party, try to get your money back. Getting the unlock code runs around US$25, so you're effectively being charged that much more for the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
found out by calling tech support, that the phone might need sim card pin if it for some reason looses connection/signal to the carrier?
Someone was reading from "Alice in Wonderland", not "Fixing cellphone problems". If the phone loses connection with the carrier,m it re-establishes connection as soon as it starts receiving a signal again.

Which has nothing to do with the phone being SIM-locked. If the phone is SIM-locked to your carrier, it's supposed to be. All that means is that if you put in a SIM from a different carrier, it won't work.

If the phone isn't working because of a SIM-lock, bring it into a store owned by your carrier (not an independent store that sells accounts on your carrier, like Radio Shack) and ask them if they can check it out. The SIM card may have become corrupt. (If they charge you $1 for that, you're being robbed.)

If a phone became SIM-locked (whatever you're referring to by that phrase, but anything that required the user to do anything), I wouldn't be able to drive with my phone activated. I drive through an area that "picket-fences", it gets and loses connection every few feet for about a mile. The cellphone system is designed to handle a phone losing connection without your having to do anything.

Are you sure you don't mean that the screen was locked with a code? (That's the lock screen and has nothing to do with the SIM. As to why it would change from swipe to PIN on its own is anyone's guess, but I'd ask them to replace the phone. Something's wrong with it.)