Can you get insurance after you lost or broke your phone?

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I wanna get the Epic. To cover for the extra $10, I would take off the $7 insurance. On my old phone, which i had for 2 years, I've never filed an insurance claim. So paying that $7 was pointless anyways.

But i'm scared that as soon as i cancel the insurance, i break my phone. Could i get insurance one day then file a claim a few days later? Is there like some amt. of grace period or will they see i've had insurance with them for 5 years and give me the replacement?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
most companies would probably cast a suspicious eye if you tried to get a replacement device only days after picking up the insurance coverage; then again, since they would be giving you a refurb as a replacement anyway, they might not even care. i too have never had to use my insurance, but i still gladly fork over $96 a year to keep my x covered, because that beats the hell out of paying $500 if i ever have something go wrong with it.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure somewhere in the form to obtain insurance it states you have a working phone in your possession. If so, and you said yes, but you didn't, it would be considered insurance fraud.

I'm also sure, that if more people did this, insurance would raise for those who are honest and pay their insurance premiums; whether they make a claim or not in the future.

Most insurance companies do not care how long you have had insurance with them. As with many things in life, insurance is one of those things you pay for and yet, hope you never need. Phone insurance, car insurance, house insurance, etc., are items man of us pay for most of our life and hope we never have to make a claim. (Life insurance is also something we pay on, but in the end, WE don't make the claim; someone else does.:p)

If you cannot afford the extra money for the new phone without canceling insurance, then don't purchase the phone. Understand fraud is fraud and to lie on a claim is being dishonest.

And yes, I am in law enforcement, and yes I have insurance on my phones. Have had insurance since my first cell phone, and only made one claim, years ago, on a phone that fell over 500 feet down a cliff side. But I was able to sleep that night after making the claim.

Sorry for the long discourse, this will be my only post on this thread; however, I really have a problem with people who want others to pay for their dishonesty, and those of us with insurance end up paying for those who try and get around paying their fair share.

Palm-a-PREciation

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Another thing to think about, I believe Sprint will only allow you to decide to get the insurance for the first 30 days after you buy the phone....so if something happened to your phone 3 months after you bought it, you wouldn't be able to purchase the insurance at that point if you hadn't been paying for the insurance already.

But you can cancel the insurance at any time (I'm thinking of getting the insurance on the Epic, which we have never paid for, but due to the expense of the phone, I think it's a good idea)....but if the phone can be replaced for $100 or less later on, then I'd probably cancel the insurance.....I know I paid $150 for my Palm Pre a year ago, and you can now find it for under $100 on Craigslist...so you can now replace it cheaper than the insurance deductible anyway.

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I saw that somewhere else too. It makes perfect sense to have that policy and clears up my confusion.

I'm only 16, so my mom isn't too excited about paying $10 extra. Me getting a job will solve this problem though.

There ya go! Job's seem to solve alot of problems! Don't they? :D

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Could i get insurance one day then file a claim a few days later?
Good luck with finding any insurance that will offer you coverage after the fact. That's just not how insurance works.

On my old phone, which i had for 2 years, I've never filed an insurance claim. So paying that $7 was pointless anyways.
No, it wasn't. If you feel that it was then stick what you would pay into savings and use the savings account as self-insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress