Multiple Same Use Apps

Woody Wood 0

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm the type that's not into having a lot of apps on my phone I don't need or use and more into speed and memory space. Now I'm trying to figure out what apps I need or don't need or which is the better app to keep. Examples Gallery vs Photos and Google Voice vs Samsung Voice. Also trying to get rid of any preloaded apps on here that cost $$$ to use that I don't need as well. Can anyone advise on what I need or don't need, what to keep and what not to keep?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would help to know which device you have. Are you talking about the S5 that is listed in your profile?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Things like Photos vs. Gallery are a personal choice.

Getting rid of pre-installed apps ... you usually have to root the phone, and I'd advise freezing an app and running the phone for a week or so before uninstalling the app. If it turns out that something won't work without it you can unfreeze it. (You can't always find it to reinstall it if you uninstalled it.)

I usually fail to uninstall many things I install to try, then end up not using. If I start running out of space I look for things to uninstall, but so far, I still have space. As far as what's safe to uninstall (or freeze), most of the Samsung or S- apps and most of your carrier's apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When your S5 updates to Lollipop, it's possible the Gallery app might disappear in favor of Photos (which is what happened on the Nexus 5). But this might not be the case with Samsung, if they plan on keeping their own gallery app available.