How do I upload Ebooks I already own to an Android device?

Procopius

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Upload ebooks I already own to an android device

I have a lot of ebooks on my desktop Windows computer that I read with Calibre. I have a couple of android devices that I would like to use to read these ebooks while traveling. I've installed Google Play Book. I can copy files from my computer to my android device. Play Book doesn't see them. Where does Play Book keep its library in the device's internal storage? Or do I have to do something else? Every article I've been able to find talks about buying books through the Google store. I don't want to buy ebooks. I've got ebooks. How do I access them? The books I have are not DRM protected -- I've never had any problem reading them on my desktop computer. The Calibre program available for Windows and Linux is able to read just about every ebook format devised by the twisted mind of men, so it's a step down to only being able to read epub and PDF.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Upload ebooks I already own to an android device

You may not be able to. If they're DRM-protected, they can only be read on the device they were purchased for. (You don't own the ebooks, you own the right to read them on a single device - that's how almost all software licenses work.)

new2thisyeah

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I have a lot of ebooks on my desktop Windows computer that I read with Calibre. I have a couple of android devices that I would like to use to read these ebooks while traveling. I've installed Google Play Book. I can copy files from my computer to my android device. Play Book doesn't see them. Where does Play Book keep its library in the device's internal storage? Or do I have to do something else? Every article I've been able to find talks about buying books through the Google store. I don't want to buy ebooks. I've got ebooks. How do I access them?
I just did this last night. I transferred 8+ gb of ebooks to an SD card. What phone do you have? I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

1. You can select the books that you want in calibre and "save to disk". (If they can be opened and read in calibre, then it's totally possible to transfer over to the phone.)
2. Plug in your phone using USB as a media storage device.
3. Find your phone device in windows explorer and drag and drop the folder to the desired location.

Last edited:

Procopius

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

OK, we may be making progress: "...drag and drop the folder to the desired location." What is "the desired location"? I don't know what folder on the android device Play Books reads from.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

i simply upload my ebooks to play books from my pc. they will then appear on your device after "processing". never had a problem.