What app plays FM/AM using the radio from your phone

jason Greene12

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for a app that plays the LIVE(not streamed over the Internet) fm radio from your phone. The only app that I've found to work is "NextRadio" but the problem with that app is that it STUPIDLY requires headphone to be plugged in and it interferes with my bluetooth setup. I just want to find an app that plays the fm radio with no hassle. I dont understand why something like this is so frustrating.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Headphones must be plugged in because the cord acts as the FM antenna. Gotta have an antenna so there's no way around it.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And the length of the antenna depends on the frequency of the signal (a random-length antenna should approach a wavelength at the frequency involved) so, while a 3" tuned antenna is pretty long at 1800MHz with a wavelength of 6.5 inches), a 3 foot (random length) headphone cord is a very short antenna at 88MHz (with a wavelength of 11 feet), and non-existent at 1600KHz (with a wavelength of 605 feet).

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, if you measure a nonadjustable post antenna on a car they're usually 31 inches because that's considered a good compromise length. And that's where the adjustable antenna on cars comes from, so it can be 'tuned' to the wavelength of your favorite station.

jason Greene12

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Okay I'm sorry and I'm really confused right now. Last time I check, I thought cell phones operate off of "Radio Frequencies"? I dont understand? This is not making any sense to me. I thought that cell phones communicate to cell towers through "Radio Frequencies". I'm not understanding what you're trying to convey by saying that my headphones serves as an antenna.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You're correct that your phone uses radio signals of different frequencies to communicate with cell towers, for WiFi to communicate with WiFi networks and for Bluetooth connectivity. FM radio uses radio signals too, of course.

The thing is, because of the signal frequencies used by FM, and unlike other frequencies used by the phone, an antenna small enough to fit inside the phone is not possible. But it happens that a headphone cord is about right, so it's used for FM radio.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The wavelength of the signal the cellphone uses ranges from 16.8" to 4.5", so the antenna can be quite small. The antenna for 700MHz is really about the smallest resonant antenna they can put into most cellphones (it would have to be 4.5" long) and since there's no ground counterpoise under it (like sitting it on a car roof vertically), it's pretty inefficient. The antenna for FM radio stations has to be much longer - at the bottom of the band, 88MHz, a tuned antenna (as opposed to a random length of wire, which is terribly inefficient) has to be 33.5" long (again, it loses efficiency because there's no ground under it - and the ground has to be as large as the antenna, so a 3 foot diameter circle or larger - a car roof will do, a fender is much less efficient). But the best you can do with a cellphone for FM radio is use the earphone cord as an antenna. Making an antenna that's 33" long electrically and 4" or 5" long physically would make it so inefficient that you'd have to be within a couple of miles of the transmitter to receive anything.

For AM radio, the only saving grace is that the wavelength is so long (0.11 miles to 0.34 miles) that almost any piece of wire will pick up some signal from a decent distance from the transmitter, and at night, signals can "skip" a few thousand miles even if the receiving antenna is only a few inches long, due to the way low frequency signals reflect off and refract through the atmosphere.

jason Greene12

May 6, 2015
Visit site
does your phone have an fm tuner? If so, there should be a stock app of some kind pre-installed .

That's what I was thinking because I had a phone from sprint (almost 15 years ago) that had in the built in tuner and it allowed me to play both FM and AM.

I dont understand, with all the features that samsung/sprint(BTW: I'm using a S5) claims to sell to you, it still shocking to see there's no fm tuner.

Inpoggio

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
That's what I was thinking because I had a phone from sprint (almost 15 years ago) that had in the built in tuner and it allowed me to play both FM and AM.

I dont understand, with all the features that samsung/sprint(BTW: I'm using a S5) claims to sell to you, it still shocking to see there's no fm tuner.

1,5 year later still no answer.
I feel that there is no rule in naming the radio apps distinguishibly.

Apps engineers should distinguish between a) radio web apps, and b) radio fm built in tuner apps.

If one tries to find an app for a built in tuner, one could become crazy now. And more, after hours searching one can still remain with no answer.

My personal situation: I have a LG G4 H815 device. I run on air local radio stations with an app called Radio FM. I like it but I would like to have a powerful full optional app with timeshifting, just because I love sports radio commentaries to listen to while watching satellite tv sport events. As you should know, this is not possible with web radios because they play few seconds delayed. But with a true radio postponed to sync the sat tv it would be possible. But for some reason noone has done it.

Which reason? That's my question.

XxALLIEDxX

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for a app that plays the LIVE(not streamed over the Internet) fm radio from your phone. The only app that I've found to work is "NextRadio" but the problem with that app is that it STUPIDLY requires headphone to be plugged in and it interferes with my bluetooth setup. I just want to find an app that plays the fm radio with no hassle. I dont understand why something like this is so frustrating.

thanks i needed app that i could use offline no lie this helped.also get a speaker that has an aux cord as well such as the ihome

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty