How to backup/sync contacts to computer?

thegreywizard

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
So I always used itunes when had an iPhone and now that I'm on android I want to backup/sync my contacts

What is suggested? I would like a way that I can view/edit these contacts while on the computer if I wanted to and then it can update my phone when I sync it.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Depends what phone you have. Samsung uses Kies, Motorola uses Phone Tools (older phones, I don't know what they have now). Try researching you phone manufacture site for their PC backup applications.

thegreywizard

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I have the Asus Padfone X for now. Is there a 3rd party app that will allow me to export into excel or something so that I can view/edit as needed? I don't want to use Outlook for any reason either...

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't own your phone, so I don't know if there's a 3rd party app for it. Have you checked the Asus website for their software?

thegreywizard

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
So I was able to export my entire contact list into a vcf file. Any suggestions on a program for the computer to view/edit them with ease?

When I open the file with outlook it only opens up a single contact and I can't seem to browse through the entire list?

Then I downloaded a vcf to csv converter and it's just all gibberish

Why isn't this easy to export contacts to your computer & view/edit them accordingly?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Why not just put your contacts in your Google (Gmail) account? If you saved them as Google contacts they're already in there, unless you have contacts sync disabled.

If your contacts are not in your Google account, it's easy to put them there. No need for any app, no .vcf to.csv converter, none of that.

Just log into your Gmail account online and import the .vcf file into Gmail contacts. Then on the phone go into Settings > Accounts > Google > Select your account > Enable contacts sync. The contacts in Gmail will sync to the phone.

It's highly recommended to save contacts to your Google account. There's several advantages.

When saved as Google contacts, you have immediate, automatic backups. It's nearly impossible to lose your contacts. Even if you accidentally deleted them, you can go online and restore them to any point they were at in the last 30 days.

It makes restoring or transferring your contacts to a new device very simple.

You can access and edit contacts from your phone, computer, anything with a browser.

You can setup filtering and sorting email by contact groups, among many ways to filter email.

Used with Google Voice or Google Voice Lite, you can have specialized, custom voicemail messages for contact groups. For example, a Business group of contacts would hear a greeting for them, a Family group a greeting for them, and so on.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer