Locked/Unlocked?

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
May seem like a stupid question after all these years of having a cell phone, but what's the difference between locked and unlocked? Specifically, I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and put it on my existing AT&T Plan in place of my Note 5. They pulled the SIM Card out of the Note 5 and put it in the Note 7, then handed the Note 5 back to me. Is the Note 5 still locked or is it unlocked? I neglected to ask them at the time as I was too excited about the new Note 7! I'd like to put the Note 5 on the market but it's nice to know, for advertising purposes and pricing, whether it's unlocked or not. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can weigh in with!

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
When a device is sim unlocked, any carriers sim can be used. When locked the sim can be used in that carriers devices only. As both your devices are AT&T the sim is interchangeable. You can ask for a code to unlock your device

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
When a device is sim unlocked, any carriers sim can be used. When locked the sim can be used in that carriers devices only. As both your devices are AT&T the sim is interchangeable. You can ask for a code to unlock your device

Would I have to have a SIM in it though Pugs to use a code? or just give the code to a potential buyer? Thank you...

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Thank you hallux - I'll have to call them or stop by. When I got to the Samsung section, my Note 5 wasn't even listed there. I've already "Factory Reset" it to wipe all my old data - all I'd like to do is unlock it so it's more desirable on the market. Thanks for your help - that second link is really great!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Locked phones can be an infernal nuisance if you buy one, the previous owner of which has not requested the carrier to unlock it first. It may prove difficult or impossible for the buyer to persuade the carrier to unlock it. So what you are doing is commendable. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non