Which new or old phones uses S-GPS?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ive been checking up on phones as of late, and every phone i have looked at uses A-GPS, except for one, and that phone is the Droid Bionic, which is now heavily rumored to be canceled.

I still want a phone that has S-GPS, so anyone know what phones will have it?

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Ive been checking up on phones as of late, and every phone i have looked at uses A-GPS, except for one, and that phone is the Droid Bionic, which is now heavily rumored to be canceled.

I still want a phone that has S-GPS, so anyone know what phones will have it?
I don't think you understand the these terms. aGPS uses assistance data to obtain a faster initial GPS fix. It's still GPS and most aGPS devices will fall back on standalone mode, if needed. For some reason, it's a very common mistaken assumption that aGPS is tower triangulation. It's not -- tower triangulation isn't GPS at all as it doesn't use the GPS satellites. A lot people seem to use "GPS" to mean any method of determining your location for some reason.

sGPS refers to antenna design. All it means is that the GPS antenna is shared.

It's not a matter of "aGPS versus sGPS" as they're apples and oranges.

Can you clarify exactly what it is that you're looking for?

guess bionic was suppose to be the first to use S-GPS on a phone?
Not by a long shot. Here are the specs for the original Droid
DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Tech Specs - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

GPS AND LOCATION SERVICES1
aGPS (assisted), sGPS (simultaneous), Google Maps™, Google Maps™ Navigation (BETA), Google Latitude™, Google Maps Street View, eCompass

As you can see, aGPS and sGPS are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you understand the these terms. aGPS uses assistance data to obtain a faster initial GPS fix. It's still GPS and most aGPS devices will fall back on standalone mode, if needed. For some reason, it's a very common mistaken assumption that aGPS is tower triangulation. It's not -- tower triangulation isn't GPS at all as it doesn't use the GPS satellites. A lot people seem to use "GPS" to mean any method of determining your location for some reason.

sGPS refers to antenna design. All it means is that the GPS antenna is shared.

It's not a matter of "aGPS versus sGPS" as they're apples and oranges.

Can you clarify exactly what it is that you're looking for?

Not by a long shot. Here are the specs for the original Droid
DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Tech Specs - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

As you can see, aGPS and sGPS are not mutually exclusive.

Ok maybe im wrong as to the definitions of those 2 gps's then. But what my intial assumptions were that, A-GPS uses ur data plan aka the data towers to determine your location, hence to continue using gps on your phone you need a data plan, also if you dont have a data signal then that means your gps wont work. And i thought S-GPS was like a stand alone GPS, so it uses satelite. Hence S-GPS doesnt require a data plan to continue using GPS capabilties.

Please drop some knowledge on me. Seems like i got everything wrong then.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Your GPS receiver does not use data. Your GPS app may or may not, depending on the specific app in question. If data usage is your concern then that's something that won't be addressed in the device specs. It's a matter of looking into the GPS-enabled apps you're considering.

Seems like i got everything wrong then.
No big deal. I actually thought the very same thing in my early days.

GPS seems to have a lot of common misunderstandings. The distinction between the receiver and the app is another one of those. Your receiver determines your location but that's all it does. Anything else (maps, POI's, navigation, tracking, voice prompts) all come from the app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez