Tethering and Android OS data usage

Yatezy

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
For some unknown reason my phone is using an extortionate amount of data, it seems that whilst im tethering the Android OS is using the same amount of data as the device that is being tethered to it.

I have a 20 gig plan but use on average 9 gigs of it tethering which has now recently become a problem as this will chew through my allowance in no time.

Cross checking against what my carrier says, it is monitoring it correctly.

Does anyone know of an app that can monitor your data flow very specifically? Most data monitors just seem to be glorified versions of what the OS monitors itself but allow you to pin point a day (why did Google get rid of that anyway?), there is obviously an app that is using data but its being masked as Android OS which isnt particularly useful.

Tried using the inbuilt data saver but tethering switches it off and wanna try and avoid turning every app off from using data in the background.

Using a Nexus 6P, on 7.1.2 custom ROM.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure of a specific app, but "Android os" is what handles the tethering, so that will show the tethering usage as well as whatever else the OS itself is using. I do wish it was more granular, even if it was just a breakout of what services under "android os" were doing what.

Yatezy

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Not sure of a specific app, but "Android os" is what handles the tethering, so that will show the tethering usage as well as whatever else the OS itself is using. I do wish it was more granular, even if it was just a breakout of what services under "android os" were doing what.

I think ive found it. Bit of a strange one.

I used Android Firewall to block all connections from my phone but allowing just tethering connections through but i was still getting high usage.

Ive had problems with my IP6 connections before today so changed my data to connect only to IP4 and its instantly corrected itself. No more high OS data usage. Why this is happening i dont know but shall be reporting to my network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty