Email Push

oldajis

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
i was in a VZW yesterday and a salesperson was trying to convince me that the push on ALL androids has a 2 hour delay...i find this pretty hard to believe, but it was enough to give me pause before getting my new phone. Is this misinformation or some vzw problem i havent heard about? also, i was told there are issues using android with macs, again, i have seen plenty of evidence to the contrary, but want to verify...

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
This is completely inaccurate. Half the time my gmail account emails end up on my Droid before they end up on the PC version. Gmail will be the closest to push, and the other accounts will be pull. That means they will be scheduling times to pull new emails, so you will get multiple at a time if you get a bunch of emails daily. You can set that as low as 15 minutes, but keep in mind the battery impact it will have from sending and receiving data like that every 15 minutes. You can also import all your email addresses through gmail and sort of use it as a server, its rather simple when the time has come for that.

dreedy1

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking bout getting the Incredible when it comes out....coming from a Blackberry and I'm REALLY worried about the push/pull email more than anything because I am a salesman. My personal is Hotmail but business is Outlook and I access through OWA. I was told by someone on Crackberry that OWA on Android is instant but Hotmail is a pull...is this true? And how bout Facebook updates on Android? You recieve update on a Berry via your attached email...does Android sync with Facebook and stream that way or via email? If email, that means I'd get bumbarded with messages, comments etc when Hotmail pulls right?

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
OWA on Android is instant but Hotmail is a pull ... how bout Facebook updates on Android? ... does Android sync with Facebook and stream that way or via email? If email, that means I'd get bumbarded with messages, comments etc when Hotmail pulls right?

As far as I know the only push email on the Android is OWA and Gmail.. All the other email is pull, and Facebook is a app that you log into.

If I am not mistaken, the only other phone that does push email for every email ,besides the BB, is the palm pre(plus) .. it supports IMAP IDLE protocol

dreedy1

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know the only push email on the Android is OWA and Gmail.. All the other email is pull, and Facebook is a app that you log into.

If I am not mistaken, the only other phone that does push email for every email ,besides the BB, is the palm pre(plus) .. it supports IMAP IDLE protocol

Thanks! That's more information that anyone on CB can give me in the Android forum...LOL!

dreedy1

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
LOL...

I don't know about the CB forums, but I have found that both the Andriod & Pre Central have the best community.

Hahaha! Well I'm definetely gonna be putting that to the test for bout the next month to month and a half before I really get a chance to get hands on with the Incredible and decide what to do. You ask me bout a Blackberry, I've got it covered! You put me on an Android platform and I'm like "ehhhh ehhh ehh HELP!" LOL

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
i was in a VZW yesterday and a salesperson was trying to convince me that the push on ALL androids has a 2 hour delay...
I wouldn't call it push if that was the case. It's more of "wait and push". :D The rep was incorrect if you really need another opinion on the matter.

Gmail will be the closest to push, and the other accounts will be pull.
Nope. Exchange with ActiveSync is push.

My personal is Hotmail but business is Outlook and I access through OWA. I was told by someone on Crackberry that OWA on Android is instant but Hotmail is a pull...is this true?
Well, it's Exchange, actually. Outlook is the client that runs on your PC.

Is OWA the only access that you have to the Exchange server? I don't know off the top of my head what delivery times are like with Exchange and OWA.

While all BB email is push, the BB doesn't magically turn pull accounts into push. It still has to poll POP accounts though it does poll more frequently when there the POP account is active. However, it will fall back to 15 minute polling intervals if activity dies down. The interface between the POP account and BIS is still pull.

Last edited:

Ilmater

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I hate to dredge up an old e-mail, and please forgive my ignorance, this is probably an easy - or obvious - question.

When I think of Blackberry, the one advantage it has is that it is (at least I thought) the one handset with true push technology that is both 100% up to date and also very easy on the battery.

Other people at work have Android phones using activesync with their email accounts (some with 1.5/6, a few with 2.1) and they have to set their phones to manually update their email because it drains their battery too much to have their emails always updated. So, here are my questions:

1) Is the Android/Activesync link as efficient as the BES/Exchange link for delivering push e-mails?

2) If not, then what are the differences? Is Android "true" push technology?

3) Is there any difference between this feature in 1.5/6 and 2.1? I think most people I know disabled the feature when they had 1.5 and never turned it back on when they upgraded to 2.1.

backflipperrr

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have my corporate google mail configured on my motorola backflip. It's darned near instantaneous. Changes made (such as an email being read, deleting an email) show up immediately on my desktop (browser based) google mail. It's freaking niiiiiiice. My only complaint is that I can't adjust the font of the built-in gmail app larger. We just moved to google mail in January of this year and they are still working the bugs out of the blackberry - google connections. :)

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have my corporate google mail configured on my motorola backflip. It's darned near instantaneous. Changes made (such as an email being read, deleting an email) show up immediately on my desktop (browser based) google mail. It's freaking niiiiiiice. My only complaint is that I can't adjust the font of the built-in gmail app larger. We just moved to google mail in January of this year and they are still working the bugs out of the blackberry - google connections. :)

Yup, same here. We use Imap, and the server supports IDLED, and mail arrival on the server beeps my Nexus One faster than my desktop.
I use the K-9 mail client from the market in preference to the built in mail.
This client will also handle gmail if you configure the the gmail account for Imap support.

Ilmater

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I hate to dredge up an old e-mail, and please forgive my ignorance, this is probably an easy - or obvious - question.

When I think of Blackberry, the one advantage it has is that it is (at least I thought) the one handset with true push technology that is both 100% up to date and also very easy on the battery.

Other people at work have Android phones using activesync with their email accounts (some with 1.5/6, a few with 2.1) and they have to set their phones to manually update their email because it drains their battery too much to have their emails always updated. So, here are my questions:

1) Is the Android/Activesync link as efficient as the BES/Exchange link for delivering push e-mails?

2) If not, then what are the differences? Is Android "true" push technology?

3) Is there any difference between this feature in 1.5/6 and 2.1? I think most people I know disabled the feature when they had 1.5 and never turned it back on when they upgraded to 2.1.
OK, those other two responses above are to old questions. Can nobody answer my questions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty