A little late on this; but, thinking: what is 18 months really...

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so when Google said that everyone had to support new OS Updates for 18 months... what exactly did that mean? I apologize in advanced for not reading the statements when they came out.

But, does that mean:

1) The hardware you put out must be able to support updates for 18 months in plain terms. As say: you can't put out a 500mhz processor phone with little memory and storage? And that your phone must, just, be able to support it?

Or

2) Your phone MUST update to new OS builds that were released in that 18 months. Meaning: that whatever OS comes out within the 18 months of the phones life must be update. Meaning if 2.3 was on month 18. And month 19 comes around and your phone doesn't have 2.3 but ICS comes out: You don't have to update to ICS but still have to commit to getting 2.3 on that phone?

So many cool new phones coming out; but, I don't want to deal with no getting updates and rooting to flash custom roms and ports and what not.

Did that really assure everyone who buys a phone that there will be an update... to the latest released in that 18 months?

If not they really should have wrote it to something like this:

Your phone must be supported for 18 months; with, no longer than 2 months, post update of either new OS or features, rollout. And, if less than 2 months remains to your 18 month deadline; your 18 month deadline will be void; and, phone must be updated within 2 months of said update release (All update after this one do not need to be supported; however, all updates must be stable).

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: A little late on this; but, thinking: what is 18 months reall

I'd bet you it is the former so then the OEMs can find a loophole out of it. That first option just said the phone had to have the hardware, it didn't say anything about the companies updating them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JT1981